Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL better penalize Browns
Reports coming out of Cleveland now that the Browns are the ones who screwed the McCarron trade up. Speculation is that front office may have intentionally botched the trade b/c it was Hue Jackson and Jimmy Haslam that were pushing the trade after Garroppolo was gone. The Bengals are now left in awkward position of having to keep McCarron (let the pouting commence) and every other competent team in the league knowing their asking price.

With the Browns' current regime having completed numerous trades, they cant feign ignorance as to the trade procedure. NFL needs to take a draft pick or two away from Cleveland to discourage future shenanigans. I felt a little bad for Browns fans before yesterday, but after seeing a lot of their fans on twitter praising their front office for botching this deal, screw them and their pathetic franchise.
Reply/Quote
The penalty for shenanigans like that, if that is what happened, is someone losing their job. This kind of thing is an internal team issue not an NFL issue.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Botching the deal was probably the best thing the front office could have done. Trading a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron is absurd and would have been a dumb move on their part.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:03 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Reports coming out of Cleveland now that the Browns are the ones who screwed the McCarron trade up.  Speculation is that front office may have intentionally botched the trade b/c it was Hue Jackson and Jimmy Haslam that were pushing the trade after Garroppolo was gone.  The Bengals are now left in awkward position of having to keep McCarron (let the pouting commence) and every other competent team in the league knowing their asking price.  

With the Browns' current regime having completed numerous trades, they cant feign ignorance as to the trade procedure. NFL needs to take a draft pick or two away from Cleveland to discourage future shenanigans. I felt a little bad for Browns fans before yesterday, but after seeing a lot of their fans on twitter praising their front office for botching this deal, screw them and their pathetic franchise.

No. Just ... no. They already lost out on the trade with their incompetence. They didn't do anything wrong that requires the league to step in and punish them further.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
they are 0-8 if we take their draft picks away just remove them as NFL team, I live here, I do not appreciate Browns fans. :)
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:26 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Botching the deal was probably the best thing the front office could have done. Trading a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron is absurd and would have been a dumb move on their part.

Which is why the Bengals get shafted here.  They had fleeced the Browns and were led to believe the deal was complete as the Browns confirmed trade to them by email.  What if Bengals had another deal (very unlikely, I know) for McCarron that got nixed b/c of buyer's remorse of Browns and resultant expiration of trade deadline?
Reply/Quote
This is all Fake News. Browns have made over 10 trades in last 2 years. They know what they are doing. League isn't going to come between an issue involving their front office and Hue. Hue wanted McCarron. The Front Office clearly didn't.

There's no ineptness. They have far more experience with trades then the Bengals do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is all Fake News. Browns have made over 10 trades in last 2 years. They know what they are doing. League isn't going to come between an issue involving their front office and Hue. Hue wanted McCarron. The Front Office clearly didn't.

There's no ineptness. They have far more experience with trades then the Bengals do.

I read somewhere that Jimmy Haslam and Hue wanted the trade.  If that's true, I expect a head to roll soon.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: I read somewhere that Jimmy Haslam and Hue wanted the trade.  If that's true, I expect a head to roll soon.

For all the people blaming Hue for their ineptness. The front office is doing everything they can to not give Hue the players he wants/asks for. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: I read somewhere that Jimmy Haslam and Hue wanted the trade.  If that's true, I expect a head to roll soon.

Agreed.  

I thought the justification with their new FO organization being slightly different and with the 'moneyball' guy being hired was that when it came to off the field, roster building, cap management, etc activity they would be great - even if in the short term the on field results may not change that quickly.

Despite all the talk it sounds like its gotten rotten over there and this 'error' smacks of open dischord. 

Think Haslam has to make a choice ...either back Hue all the way and get rid of someone in FO, or Hue goes.
Reply/Quote
I think the moneyball experience is over in Cleveland. The record is one thing, but missing on all the qb's they have the last couple years is a significant fail. Considering how Wentz, Dak, Watson (and not sending a 2nd for Jimmy) etc look. We (the AFCN) dodged a bullet.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Regardless if NFL does anything, the dysfunction between ownership/front office/coaching staff is undeniable after the McCarron failed trade. Browns are perpetually rebuilding and don't look any closer to relevance despite all the draft picks they are holding.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: they are 0-8 if we take their draft picks away just remove them as NFL team, I live here, I do not appreciate Browns fans. :)

Meh, I'm starting to see the wisdom in allowing the Browns and Bengals to merge into a single franchise that might be able to beat the Steelers once per year.

(11-01-2017, 12:45 PM)Sweetness Wrote: For all the people blaming Hue for their ineptness. The front office is doing everything they can to not give Hue the players he wants/asks for. 

This right here.  Hue traded a 1st and 2nd for a rusty Carson Palmer.  To think he was onboard with passing on Wentz/Watson/Mahommes in order to get a buttload of picks the next HC would end up developing is a bit hard to swallow.  Hue quite likely wanted high pick QB now now now.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm starting to see the wisdom in allowing the Browns and Bengals to merge into a single franchise that might be able to beat the Steelers once per year.

This right here.  Hue traded a 1st and 2nd for a rusty Carson Palmer.  To think he was onboard with passing on Wentz/Watson/Mahommes in order to get a buttload of picks the next HC would end up developing is a bit hard to swallow.  Hue quite likely wanted high pick QB now now now.

Agreed,  at some point you have to stop 'being clever' in working the draft to get picks and just put your ass on the line and go get a QB - and often times you will have to pay over the odds in draft capital to get them. 

That's why I think this trade fell down...guy with the headset just wants his QB , guys with the spreadsheets want to win the perception of 'value'.

Where I think Hue is culpable to a certain extent is in his evaluation (assuming he's got to be the biggest voice in the room on choosing  QBs).

Apparently it was him who was not enamored with Wentz and preferred Goff and so passed on him.    They then also passed on DeShaun Watson.

I'm not convinced they thought Kizer was great but again may thought he was too good 'value' in rd 2 this year.   Also passed on Mahomes whilst KC got him despite having Smith.

So basically for a franchise over the past 2 years who's #1 priority has been getting their QB they've missed on Wentz, Watson, Prescott, Mahomes when they could have got them - Rams taking Goff being the only example where they could not get the QB
Reply/Quote
[Image: HTTPS9tZWRpYTQuZ2lwaHkuY29tL21lZGlhL2Y2a...loglog.gif]

I feel like one of these cute little kittens as this saga unfolds.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm starting to see the wisdom in allowing the Browns and Bengals to merge into a single franchise that might be able to beat the Steelers once per year.

The Dayton Browngals.

And this is our mascot
[Image: LsIsv.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:46 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Agreed,  at some point you have to stop 'being clever' in working the draft to get picks and just put your ass on the line and go get a QB - and often times you will have to pay over the odds in draft capital to get them. 

That's why I think this trade fell down...guy with the headset just wants his QB , guys with the spreadsheets want to win the perception of 'value'.

Where I think Hue is culpable to a certain extent is in his evaluation (assuming he's got to be the biggest voice in the room on choosing  QBs).

Apparently it was him who was not enamored with Wentz and preferred Goff and so passed on him.    They then also passed on DeShaun Watson.

I'm not convinced they thought Kizer was great but again may thought he was too good 'value' in rd 2 this year.   Also passed on Mahomes whilst KC got him despite having Smith.

So basically for a franchise over the past 2 years who's #1 priority has been getting their QB they've missed on Wentz, Watson, Prescott, Mahomes when they could have got them - Rams taking Goff being the only example where they could not get the QB
Let's not forget they did trade in the offseason for Osweiler. That backfired...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: they are 0-8 if we take their draft picks away just remove them as NFL team, I live here, I do not appreciate Browns fans. :)

I hear a lot of Cleveland fans talking about the legacy of the Browns, but the fact of the matter is they are an expansion team. They are not the Browns of old. That team got moved to Baltimore. I wonder if Cleveland fans would view/treat their football team differently if it didn't have the Browns name attached. I think of the Houston Texans as a great comparison. Texans are always viewed as an expansion because they are not the Oilers. If they had gotten the naming rights to be the Oilers again, I wonder if fans would treat them not as an expansion team. But because they are the Texans, fans seem to be more lenient toward whether they win or lose (at least that's my outside perception).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 02:10 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Dayton Browngals.

And this is our mascot
[Image: LsIsv.jpg]

The Columbus Bengal Turds
Reply/Quote
I can realistically see us getting at least a early 2nd after this season. This hurts the Browns more than us IMO. What does that do to the other 3 qb's on their roster. I know its a long shot right now but at 3 -4 not impossible If say late in the season or in a playoff game were Dalton to go down Mccarron is a capable backup to potentially win a game. If he were to happen to play well in this scenario his value would only go up. If he were too play bad our horrible o line would give him a built in excuse so wouldnt affect his trade value negatively.
Reply/Quote