Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com Mock Draft Live - Bengals Pick
Drafting Kelly would upgrade the worst starter on the team. If this team really wants to pound the rock, he is a no-brainer.

There is no chance that he makes it to the Bengals with their 2nd rounder. I've seen a lot of mocks where he is gone by #24
Reply/Quote
Would love this. Bodine ranges from serviceable to downright awful. What I would give for a dominant center. Give Dalton more time in the pocket, improve the run game. It's a win-win.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Would be a bold, un-Bengalslike move, taking a non-marquis position in the 1st. I'd love it. Would make the team better, easily increasing our chances of getting the 1st down on the ground, in 3rd and 4th and short.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When I was watching the show and it was the Bengals turn I was sitting there think that Davis was just going to tow the need line and take Fuller. Instead, to his credit, he surprised me and made a much better pick.

I was also happy to see that Fuller didn't get selected in the 1st cause I really don't think he's got 1st round talent. He might have 1st round speed, but he got 4th round hands. So I've pretty much soured on him as a high pick. Someone will select him high. let them make the mistake.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Drafting Kelly would upgrade the worst starter on the team.  If this team really wants to pound the rock, he is a no-brainer.

There is no chance that he makes it to the Bengals with their 2nd rounder.  I've seen a lot of mocks where he is gone by #24

Bodine is just going into this 3rd year.. he has struggled but so have many lineman that were thrown into the fire in their rookie year.  I don;t see anyway they give up on Bodine after just 2 seasons and take a center with a 1st round pick.... 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 06:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: fall to 55 ? why do people always start talking stupid on these boards.

ironic
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 10:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bodine is just going into this 3rd year.. he has struggled but so have many lineman that were thrown into the fire in their rookie year.  I don;t see anyway they give up on Bodine after just 2 seasons and take a center with a 1st round pick.... 

I do, because you have got to draw the line somewhere and we only have a few more years left on our SB Window.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 10:42 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I do, because you have got to draw the line somewhere and we only have a few more years left on our SB Window.

1.  There is no for sure in any draft.. Kelly could be great but could be just ok in his first year... I also prefer not to put a rookie  at center in at this time with this team. Bodine knows the system and center needs to make a lot of calls, experience matters 
2. Bodine had a tough year last year but look at 2014, The Bengals were sixth in rushing in the NFL with Bodine so you can;t say we have been a terrible running team both years with Bodine... 
3.  We are thinner at other positions WR and Dline I feel overall so those would be the two positions I would upgrade or add depth too first. 
Reply/Quote
In Bodines defense, he was playing against really good D-lines all year. He was tested almost every week. He did ok in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 09:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: When I was watching the show and it was the Bengals turn I was sitting there think that Davis was just going to tow the need line and take Fuller. Instead, to his credit, he surprised me and made a much better pick.

I was also happy to see that Fuller didn't get selected in the 1st cause I really don't think he's got 1st round talent. He might have 1st round speed, but he got 4th round hands. So I've pretty much soured on him as a high pick. Someone will select him high. let them make the mistake.

Completely agree with this, if we were to select Fuller at 24 i think it would be a huge mistake.

The Kelly pick would be improving our biggest weakness on our team, props to Charles Davis.

Like i said, i doubt it happens but it would be a great thing for our team if it did.

(04-25-2016, 10:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bodine is just going into this 3rd year.. he has struggled but so have many lineman that were thrown into the fire in their rookie year.  I don;t see anyway they give up on Bodine after just 2 seasons and take a center with a 1st round pick.... 

The thing about Bodine is he doesn't have near the upside as Kelly. See what Okeana shown on 1st round
Centers over the last few years. Most have all done great in the NFL. There is a monster difference between
a 1st round Center in Kelly and a 3rd rounder in Bodine.

Bodine could be the backup Center and Guard if we drafted Kelly.

But i am with you in that i highly doubt it happens. I am expecting William Jackson III at our pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 12:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree with this, if we were to select Fuller at 24 i think it would be a huge mistake.

The Kelly pick would be improving our biggest weakness on our team, props to Charles Davis.

Like i said, i doubt it happens but it would be a great thing for our team if it did.

The thing about Bodine is he doesn't have near the upside as Kelly. See what Okeana shown on 1st round
Centers over the last few years. Most have all done great in the NFL. There is a monster difference between
a 1st round Center in Kelly and a 3rd rounder in Bodine.

Bodine could be the backup Center and Guard if we drafted Kelly.

But i am with you in that i highly doubt it happens. I am expecting William Jackson III at our pick.
Well we're talking about a late first-round pick not a top 5 pick I'm not going to make Kelly a stud right off the bat. Plus I would prefer to stay with a center that we've had for 2 years then risk a rookie and as I mentioned it's not like we're horrible running the ball with bodinie I have confidence he will do better in his third year.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 07:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: I didn't mock Kelly in a single draft only because I just don't see the team drafting a center in round 1.  Lets take a history lesson to see centers who have been drafted in round 1 at their typical nfl success.  

Travis Frederick - 2013 Cowboys - one of the best in the league
Mike Pouncey - 2011 - one of the best in the league
Maurkice Pouncey - 2010 - one of the best in the league
Alex Mack - 2009 - one of the best in the league
Eric Wood - 2009 - Moved to guard got injured came back to stabilize the bills at center
Nick Mangold - 2006 - Top 5 if not best center in league

from 2006 on these are the only centers to be drafted in the first round with first round grades and each has had great success for their respective teams.  Its hard to argue a higher value at any position in the nfl over a true first round center.

This supports my main point. Instead of constantly trying to find our interior line in the bargain basement (and having constant issues running inside and with pass pressure up the middle), fix it on a longer term basis. If Kelly is still there at 24 he is a no brainer pick as he would almost certainly be the BPA and also it is a need position.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have nick Martin in the second. There's a chance he's gone by our second pick, but anything is a risk.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2016, 11:44 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Maybe I'm higher on Shepard than most.  I think he's going to be better right away than Tyler Lockett and as good in the end as Antonio Brown or Odell Beckham.  He's got the work ethic and polished skill that would step right into our #2.

Shepard may well be the best receiver in this draft hands down!! Anyone who watched Oklahoma play knows this, he is a "take the game over" type player that always has the ball in his hands in big game situations and plays bigger than he is. He has NFL pedigree and very high character.

For those paying attention Marvin went to see him personally on his pro day, if that can tell us anything.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 06:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: This supports my main point. Instead of constantly trying to find our interior line in the bargain basement (and having constant issues running inside and with pass pressure up the middle), fix it on a longer term basis. If Kelly is still there at 24 he is a no brainer pick as he would almost certainly be the BPA and also it is a need position.

I don;t think it supports much of a point to draft a center in 1st round.  We are talking about like six overall centers in 10 years of drafts and most of those were drafted before the 24th overall pick.   Think about how many good centers have been drafted after the 1st round since 2006.  Here are three more centers over the last 16 years drafted in 1st round that as a whole did not live up to 1st round status:  Chris Spencer 2005, Jeff Faine 2003  and Damien Woody 1999.

Finally, I don;t think drafting a center in 2nd to 4th round is bargain basement.. 
Reply/Quote