Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal loves our off season..
Sarcasm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023169/article/2019-nfl-free-agencys-worst-contracts-broncos-raise-eyebrows

"Almost everything the Cincinnati Bengals did: Bringing back some familiar veterans is fine, but the numbers behind Cincinnati's moves to re-up struggling tackle Bobby Hart and linebacker Preston Brown were surprising, with both guys signing three-year pacts that could end up paying out more than $20 million. Other moves, like signing guard John Miller (three years, $16.5 million) and cornerback B.W. Webb (three years, worth up to $13 million), made bargain shopping look expensive."

So we're not the only ones recognizing we're paying a lot to these guys. That said, we've also been said to be a low destination, so we probably do have to pay more to get people.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 04:51 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Sarcasm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023169/article/2019-nfl-free-agencys-worst-contracts-broncos-raise-eyebrows

"Almost everything the Cincinnati Bengals did: Bringing back some familiar veterans is fine, but the numbers behind Cincinnati's moves to re-up struggling tackle Bobby Hart and linebacker Preston Brown were surprising, with both guys signing three-year pacts that could end up paying out more than $20 million. Other moves, like signing guard John Miller (three years, $16.5 million) and cornerback B.W. Webb (three years, worth up to $13 million), made bargain shopping look expensive."

So we're not the only ones recognizing we're paying a lot to these guys.  That said, we've also been said to be a low destination, so we probably do have to pay more to get people.

None of those contracts are high.  Look around the league.  And if he ends up being wrong, what are the chances he owns it?  Right between slim and none.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Trashing the Bengals is just low hanging fruit for the media.

The contracts are hardly terrible.
Reply/Quote
Lost me at Gregg Rosenthal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

So we're not the only ones recognizing we're paying a lot to these guys.  That said, we've also been said to be a low destination, so we probably do have to pay more to get people.

Why lie in your thread title? Why not just say, I want to cry and hate some more about the off season so far.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Do we expect anything else from the media?
I haven't heard one good thing they have had to say about the Bengals
Reply/Quote

"Almost everything the Cincinnati Bengals did: Bringing back some familiar veterans is fine, but the numbers behind Cincinnati's moves to re-up struggling tackle Bobby Hart and linebacker Preston Brown were surprising, with both guys signing three-year pacts that could end up paying out more than $20 million. Other moves, like signing guard John Miller (three years, $16.5 million) and cornerback B.W. Webb (three years, worth up to $13 million), made bargain shopping look

So we're not the only ones recognizing we're paying a lot to these guys. That said, we've also been said to be a low destination, so we probably do have to pay more to get people.

Rosenthal is a huge Steelers fan and never writes anything positive about the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about everyone else, but after reading what he wrote, I don't think Gregg Rosenthal loves our off season so far.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 04:51 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: So we're not the only ones recognizing we're paying a lot to these guys.  That said, we've also been said to be a low destination, so we probably do have to pay more to get people.

But the Bengals are cheap. How do you overpay if you're cheap?
Reply/Quote
Gregg hates us. But he's right. Some of these players (Hart, Webb) never made more than vet minimum.

And everyone knows the Bills line was one of the rare ones that were worse then us, so signing Miller isn't going to gain any praise outside of the jungle.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Free agents are over paid in general. It is cheaper to overpay the ones who have less options, so we get the Bobby Harts and the Preston Browns. It doesn’t make for an exiting offseason and I would have to question the sanity of anyone in the media heaping praise upon that type of activity.
Reply/Quote
Ehh, I wouldn't take it personally when the media gets down or "blah" on us.  We aren't doing interesting things like the Browns or Raiders, and we aren't a proven winning franchise that shouldn't be questioned, either.

It can't be particularly fun writing about the Bengals.  Hell, I challenge anyone here to write a positive and exciting article about the Redskins or Dolphins, for example.

(03-18-2019, 06:37 PM)HuDey Wrote: Free agents are over paid in general. It is cheaper to overpay the ones who have less options, so we get the Bobby Harts and the Preston Browns. It doesn’t make for an exiting offseason and I would have to question the sanity of anyone in the media heaping praise upon that type of activity.

That and it's not like the Bengals have done a very good job of proving the "meanie media haters" wrong.  
Reply/Quote
I think what should be looked at is this:

Option A: Hart, Miller and whoever we take with our 1st or 2nd Round pick. Granted that 1st Round pick might be a LB like White. Then, you get an OT in the 2nd Round.

Option B: Saffold, Fort, and a 1st or 2nd Round Tackle.

Both Option A and B cost about the same.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: But the Bengals are cheap. How do you overpay if you're cheap?

I don't feel they are cheap. I just think they like change as much as Sheldon Cooper. They know those guys so good or bad they are staying and getting paid like other starters around the league. Stupid on the other hand I can agree with.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 07:34 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I don't feel they are cheap. I just think they like change as much as Sheldon Cooper. They know those guys so good or bad they are staying and getting paid like other starters around the league. Stupid on the other hand I can agree with.

Yep. With the salary floor it's pretty impossible to be cheap.

The did make several bad assessments of players this offseason.

For the money they spent, I just don't see the return on investment.

Hart AND Miller OR Saffold?

Go with the elite impact Guard. 2 mediocre players or 1 good to great one?
Reply/Quote

Players want a premium to come to or stay with the Bengals.

Dennard will stay for $10M per, but I'll bet he signs elsewhere for less.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: None of those contracts are high.  Look around the league.  And if he ends up being wrong, what are the chances he owns it?  Right between slim and none.

Bobby Hart was one of the worst offensive tackles in the league.
They gave him a $6 million raise after two horrendous seasons.
He's the 15th highest paid RT in the league.

Daryl Williams is a 2nd team All-Pro who got signed for LESS than Bobby Hart, and was guaranteed less money as well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: But the Bengals are cheap. How do you overpay if you're cheap?

I was wondering that too.
Reply/Quote
I just love the pathetic need by some Bengal fans to scour the net to find a-holes disrespecting the Bengals
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The Bobby Hart deal is stupid. I don't need an article and Bengal defenders to tell me otherwise.

The guy was terrible on the Giants and continued his crappiness here.

The track record speaks for itself.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote