Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL "franchise"
Ever wonder what this really means in the NFL? In the outside world,a true franchise such as McDonalds have specific rules and SOPS that are followed or they go under or are taken back by the Franchise. It appears there are no requirements regarding needing GMs, size of scouting dept , facilities etc. The way the TV revenue is equally shared creates the MB scenario. No incentive to win and sits back, farts and collects his stipend. I would imagine there is some sort of language in the franchise contracts that opens the door for intervention when its going so poorly that it affects the NFL brand …..just sayin
Reply/Quote
Oh I've often wondered how long the NFL will tolerate Mike Brown and his ways ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I've often wondered how long the NFL will tolerate Mike Brown and his ways ?

It might be possible that the NFL is letting MB fade out with his mantra intact but would put the boots to Katie and Troy to modernize a bit once he's gone if they don't do so.  It's pretty hard to imagine Mike Brown dying, Katie inheriting the team and then making herself the GM for the next 35 years like her ol' man did.

That seems like an antiquated business model that was grandfathered in and tolerated with Mike Brown and Al Davis.  The NFL is an oligopoly, and I can see them compelling teams to hold up what they'd deem to be bare standards of operation, and actually appointing a GM could become a minimum standard of operation.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It might be possible that the NFL is letting MB fade out with his mantra intact but would put the boots to Katie and Troy to modernize a bit once he's gone if they don't do so.  It's pretty hard to imagine Mike Brown dying, Katie inheriting the team and then making herself the GM for the next 35 years like her ol' man did.

That seems like an antiquated business model that was grandfathered in and tolerated with Mike Brown and Al Davis.  The NFL is an oligopoly, and I can see them compelling teams to hold up what they'd deem to be bare standards of operation, and actually appointing a GM could become a minimum standard of operation.

cowboys owner is their GM as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cowboys owner is their GM as well.

Yeah, Jerry Jones is of that mindset too so I guess if there is ever a "gotta have a GM" rule it's not going to be until he's dead.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It might be possible that the NFL is letting MB fade out with his mantra intact but would put the boots to Katie and Troy to modernize a bit once he's gone if they don't do so.  It's pretty hard to imagine Mike Brown dying, Katie inheriting the team and then making herself the GM for the next 35 years like her ol' man did.

We've got to hope
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We've got to hope

[Image: kevin_there_is_no_hope.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: kevin_there_is_no_hope.gif]

[Image: 1*kppGaGRYrZWAifQY8oyttw.jpeg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs
Reply/Quote

It's hard to say. They may keep the current model of Katie/Troy/Duke and the HC making decisions.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I've often wondered how long the NFL will tolerate Mike Brown and his ways ?

For as long as he is an owner.

If they can't force Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder out, what makes you think they can for Mike Brown? Mikey doesn't rock the boat like those 2.

Ineptness is not a valid enough of a reason to force an owner out.
Reply/Quote

(11-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, Jerry Jones is of that mindset too so I guess if there is ever a "gotta have a GM" rule it's not going to be until he's dead.

The Reds already showed what's going to happen with either of those situations. Katie doesn't need to make herself the GM. She can just hire a family member to be the GM like the Reds did with Dick Williams, who is the son of an owner.

So sure, maybe Katie hires a GM with the last name Brown or Blackburn. Would meet that theoretical rule, and wouldn't be her just putting herself in power... technically.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:08 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Ever wonder what this really means in the NFL? In the outside world,a true franchise such as McDonalds have specific rules and SOPS that are followed or they go under or are taken back by the Franchise. It appears there are no requirements regarding needing GMs, size of scouting dept , facilities etc. The way the TV revenue is equally shared creates the MB scenario. No incentive to win and sits back, farts and collects his stipend. I would imagine there is some sort of language in the franchise contracts that opens the door for intervention when its going so poorly that it affects the NFL brand …..just sayin

You're right they have parking, seating, showroom requirements.  However, that's because you want to have standards for your franchise.  

Do you really think that the NFL owners care?  Some team has to be the joke or door mat of the NFL, so the rest of the owners can say "Hey we're not the Bengals!" & not look as bad.  Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:08 PM)kalibengal Wrote:  I would imagine there is some sort of language in the franchise contracts that opens the door for intervention when its going so poorly that it affects the NFL brand …..just sayin

I agree Brown is a terrible owner, but lets be realistic.  Over the previous 15 years the Bengals have been an above average franchise.  That is not good enough, but it is much better than the bottom third of the league.  Just look

'04-'18  ....wins....%.....playoffs....playoff wins
Cin...........123.....519.......7...........0
Cle........... 69......290.......0...........0
Oak.......... 81......338.......1...........0
Det.......... 92.......383.......3...........0
Tam......... 93.......388.......2...........0
Wash.......101.......423.......4............1
Buff.........102.......425.......1............0
Ten.........108.......450.......3.............1
Mia..........103......429........2............0

Again I want to make it clear that I am not supporting the poor performance of our front office.  I just want to give a little perspective to the argument that the Bengals are so bad they "effect the NFL brand".
Reply/Quote

28 years and counting.

The NFL isn't going to come to the fans rescue, sadly.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cowboys owner is their GM as well.

Cowboys have won SB with Jerry running the show though. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 04:38 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Cowboys have won SB with Jerry running the show though. 

Yep, Cowboys were basically a dynasty in the early to mid 90's. Aikman, E. Smith, Irvin. What 2 or 3 Super Bowl wins and in playoffs nearly every year and actually won.

The MB lead Bengals, not so much.  Sick
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 01:58 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: For as long as he is an owner.

If they can't force Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder out, what makes you think they can for Mike Brown? Mikey doesn't rock the boat like those 2.

Ineptness is not a valid enough of a reason to force an owner out.

If MB pulled a Donald Sterling then the NFL would be able to force him to  even sell the team.  Otherwise we know the answer, the NFL had no problem with him in the awful 1990's.  Even if he was forced to step down he'd just turn it over to his family to operate with him a shadow owner. 

What motivation does the NFL have anyway?  Its a parity league, the standard normal curve for such a setup is one or two teams on the far left, the terrible losers, and one or two teams on the far right, the  awesome winners, with everybody else fighting around the middle.  So the Bengals frequently are on the far left?  Some team(s) will always be there.
Reply/Quote
They help guarantee that the Steelers can compete every year. Look at the schedule each year: "Game against Cincinnati; that's a win."
Reply/Quote

If there was a requirement to name a GM then it would be Duke and how much would actually change?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:24 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: If there was a requirement to name a GM then it would be Duke and how much would actually change?

I had considered that. 
Reply/Quote