Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL leaders in arrests last 5 years
(05-09-2017, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Many Bengals fans are tired of defending this team's character concerns with "No charges ended up being filed" or "He was found not guilty".

It's all about initial perception nowadays.

Only the media fans who think media hype is more important than actual due process.

"We don't need no criminal justice system.  TMZ done told us he was guilty!"
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only the media fans who think media hype is more important than actual due process.

"We don't need no criminal justice system.  TMZ done told us he was guilty!"

[Image: Im-not-saying-hes-guilty.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 03:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's because they win Super Bowls. Sad but true. If we had a few Lombardi's, there's no way in hell we'd be a "thug enabling" team "that never learns". Winning truly does cure all, especially any negative perception

Or they'd be saying they're thugs but damn it, they win, which makes you folk heroes.  Like the old Raiders.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Can we give Trashman Jones his own category?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 01:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Most of Pacman Jones arrests happened prior to 2012 and happened prior to him being a Bengal.

Actually...most of the people we signed who had legal issues like Benson, Tank Johnson, etc...were mainly arrested while with other teams.

But...when you consistently bring in players who were arrested with other teams and refer to yourself as 'The Redeemer'...you get a perception among the media.

that's the way i looked at it. not sure if it's accurate, never bothered to look. but it seemed like most of our repeat or worse offenders were guys we got because their lawyer said 'play cheap.'
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 12:50 PM)kdgjr Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-among-nfl-leaders-in-arrests-last-5-years/ar-BBAVxgb?li=BBnba9I

[Image: C_QJxX-XkAAvWLA.jpg:large]

Perception vs. Reality

Wonder how many of those are Pacman? Hmm LOL 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Aaron Hernandez wasn't found guilty yet of murder and he was cut by the Patriots within about a week of being arrested.
Most teams are not willing to let the legal system play out and want to avoid any negative publicity and perception of being an undisciplined team with criminals/thugs.

Well in this case Aaron Hernandez was going into 2 different murder trials and would be behind bars for those trials for a few years no sense in keeping him on the roster.

for something like MURDER yeah cut them ASAP...  So some little he said she said spat  let it play out.
Reply/Quote
Do you think the ownership holds people accountable my friend?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If not for 2006 (10 arrests that year alone), I have to wonder what our reputation would be like today. We were never able to shake that label, and once we signed Pacman Jones, it ensured that the label would stay for many more years regardless of arrest totals. Making a big playoff run may get us some respect from local/national media, but short of that, the Bengals being "thugs" is going to be the narrative. What else is interesting about the Bengals? Marvin Lewis returning for his 15th season? Mike Brown being Mike Brown?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Pretty close to 90% or more of the population breaks laws every single day. Don't believe that? Drive on the freeway in rush hour traffic and just TRY to not go over the posted speed limit. 
That's right folks..if YOU are driving 56 mph in a 55 mph zone you to are a CRIMINAL!  They should ban ALL fans from stadiums who have EVER so much as been caught chewing gum in class! You bleeding heart 2nd chancers should all be taken out and beaten daily and twice on Sunday! And just to show what an upstanding citizen I want to be I'll get in the front of the daily beating line EVERY DAY..either that or I'm leaving the country ASAP.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 03:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: They drafted the guy when everyone in the NFL knew he had gang ties to some seriously bad dudes while in college. He was actually rumored to be associated with a murder while in Florida. What is the worst part is they knew most of his ties were in fact from that area, and so they were putting him right back in the fold. The Patriots shouldn't get a free pass on the Hernandez thing, but they do  by most. To put it in perspective, his off field issues were so well known the Bengals and the Colts actually removed him from their draft boards completely.

Yep. It's calculated risks.

Same thing the Bengals did bringing Jones in. Drafting Henry and Thurman. Drafting Weathersby after he was shot.

If it works out...you get a 1st Round talent at a discount. If it fails, what's the hit rate on a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Round pick being a Pro Bowl player? Or even a good starter?
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 01:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty close to 90% or more of the population breaks laws every single day. Don't believe that? Drive on the freeway in rush hour traffic and just TRY to not go over the posted speed limit. 
That's right folks..if YOU are driving 56 mph in a 55 mph zone you to are a CRIMINAL!  They should ban ALL fans from stadiums who have EVER so much as been caught chewing gum in class! You bleeding heart 2nd chancers should all be taken out and beaten daily and twice on Sunday! And just to show what an upstanding citizen I want to be I'll get in the front of the daily beating line EVERY DAY..either that or I'm leaving the country ASAP.. 

In most cases, speeding is not considered a criminal offense. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 12:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If not for 2006 (10 arrests that year alone), I have to wonder what our reputation would be like today. We were never able to shake that label, and once we signed Pacman Jones, it ensured that the label would stay for many more years regardless of arrest totals. Making a big playoff run may get us some respect from local/national media, but short of that, the Bengals being "thugs" is going to be the narrative. What else is interesting about the Bengals? Marvin Lewis returning for his 15th season? Mike Brown being Mike Brown?

We actively brought in guys like Benson, Jones, Henry, and Tank Johnson who were arrested too.

Probably when Marvin moves on and Jones leaves which could coincide...our reputation might change some.

Like it or not...it's attached to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We actively brought in guys like Benson, Jones, Henry, and Tank Johnson who were arrested too.

Probably when Marvin moves on and Jones leaves which could coincide...our reputation might change some.

Like it or not...it's attached to Marvin.

Henry was the big problem in 2006, which I mentioned, and I also mentioned Pacman now. Other than those 2, it hasn't been anything out of the norm.

Teams sign/draft players like Benson and Tank all the time. Heck, Benson and Tank themselves were also drafted/signed by the Bears (both), Cowboys, and Packers.

If you pick out any team, I can pick out a list of guys who aren't exactly boy scouts. That even goes for the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
It does.

Lets face it...when you don't win a playoff game in 26+ years you make yourself a target for the media criticism.

The whole Ochocinco/TO circus too.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 04:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It does.

Lets face it...when you don't win a playoff game in 26+ years you make yourself a target for the media criticism.

The whole Ochocinco/TO circus too.

True. Like with a lot of other things, I think a playoff run would help.
Reply/Quote
This is an exhausting topic, especially for us locals who cover the team. We end up sounding like we're "defending" players on the roster when we're just stating facts. The late 80s/90s and then the '06 team that had more arrests than wins really did a number on the national psyche.

The ONLY way, in my opinion, for this to change - is to win a Super Bowl. Or at least get to another one.

Also, in case this interests you - USA Today keeps a database of NFL arrests. Seriously.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote