Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL meeting to discuss further rules to protect QBs.
Ok this is getting ridiculous!? The NFL competition committee is meeting AGAIN to look into further ways to protect the poor, fragile QBs. Do we really need MORE RULES to protect the QB?! Really?. Look, if the NFL doesn't want QBs to be touched, then they should implement the rule that a QB can not run past the line of scrimmage with possession of the ball. Problem solved. If the NFL is so worried about QBs getting injured then his is the only way to protect the QB without totally putting pass rushers at an impossible disadvantage. No more QB sneaks and the defense would not have to account for a QB running which would help the defense defend the pass.....I think I like this rule!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They don't need anymore protection .

They should also stop flagging defenseless receiver hits.

Just flag/eject defensive players who spear.
Reply/Quote
I'll admit the situation is getting ridiculous, but we also live in a time where any QB who can find his arse with both hands gets $18 million per year, so so I can see why they're being treated as untouchable gods among men.
Reply/Quote
Pretty simple solution to this. Force college teams to run pro offenses again and let NFL defenses play defense again. QBs stopped coming into the NFL knowing how to take a snap under center and how to go through progressions. OL stopped learning how to block a guy and now they just position and wall off. OL and QB quality coming out of college has turned to total crap. RBs are rarely 3 down backs anymore it seems, too. If QBs had better pocket awareness, they'd be able to protect themselves more. If OL in college went back to how they used to be, they'd be able to better protect the QB so they wouldn't need to make all these BS rules.

Seriously though, random crap aside... when's the last time you've seen a 100% destruction pancake block in the NFL by an OL? Didn't it used to be so much more common before the college game changing ruined like 90% of the NFL prospects?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They don't need anymore protection .  

Agreed

(03-16-2016, 01:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit the situation is getting ridiculous, but we also live in a time where any QB who can find his arse with both hands gets $18 million per year, so so I can see why they're being treated as untouchable gods among men.

And agreed.

QB more than any other position has one person tying up a huge chunk of a team's budget. The NFL is a business and any business doesn't want it's highest paid employee to be unnecessary out of action for a long period.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 12:38 PM)Benton Wrote: QB more than any other position has one person tying up a huge chunk of a team's budget. The NFL is a business and any business doesn't want it's highest paid employee to be unnecessary out of action for a long period.

It is not just the NFL corporate office.  Fans prefer to see their starting QBs playing also.

NFL football is an extremely violent, dangerous sport.  QBs and receivers are pretty much the only players on the field that are asked to put themselves in position to take brutal shots without defending themselves.  They deserve some protection.

when I watch football I enjoy seeing the best players making the best plays.  I don't watch it just to see guys get injured.  And I certainly don't want to see a bunch of lesser skilled back-ups playing instead of the starters
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not just the NFL corporate office.  Fans prefer to see their starting QBs playing also.

NFL football is an extremely violent, dangerous sport.  QBs and receivers are pretty much the only players on the field that are asked to put themselves in position to take brutal shots without defending themselves.  They deserve some protection.

when I watch football I enjoy seeing the best players making the best plays.  I don't watch it just to see guys get injured.  And I certainly don't want to see a bunch of lesser skilled back-ups playing instead of the starters

True that.  A fan can complain about the NFL going crazy with the penalties and becoming less tough, but as soon as that 15-yard penalty flag flies in late on the play and takes his team from a punting down to being in the red zone with a 1st down he's going to start cheering like a madman.
Reply/Quote
Why don't they just go ahead and abolish defense.  Offenses can just play against ghost men.  No more CTE.  No more injured QBs...  Problem solved.  The NFL is getting lame.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 06:43 PM)jason Wrote: Why don't they just go ahead and abolish defense.  Offenses can just play against ghost men.  No more CTE.  No more injured QBs...  Problem solved.  The NFL is getting lame.

Yeah, why not just do away with all the rules and let them beat each other to death with clubs.

Who wants to see a great pass and catch when we can just watch people break each others bones.
Reply/Quote
They need to have the starting QBs in the games for the fans, so protecting them is good for the league.

Sorry but here comes a rant :

The NFL (The World Wrastlin' Federation) needs to be discussing the obvious manipulation of the outcomes of their games (their product) by the use of selective use of the penalty flag.

The NFL does a great job of spinning and sweeping what they do under the rug. (Mike Carey, Phil Sims, Blandino, Goodell reducing/removing fines and choosing not to suspend players or coaches, The NFL Network and ESPN are like the Main Stream Media of sports.)

The NFL has a major credability issue which they expect people to just forget about from year to year.

If the NFL doesn't straighten out ,make professional and put transparency in their officiating the lack of integrity in the outcomes of their games are going to kill this league.

But their arrogance of being so big and powerful in the sports world is blinding them to it. (Mark Cuban might end up being right.) 

Just My Opinion. 

Rant complete.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 05:43 AM)tigerseye Wrote: If the NFL doesn't straighten out ,make professional and put transparency in their officiating the lack of integrity in the outcomes of their games are going to kill this league.

Officials make mistakes sometimes, but there are no fixes.

The reason there are no fixes is because the NFL does not need to fix any games.  they are getting more and more popular every year.

And obviously most people don't think the games are fixed because they bet millions of dollars on the outcomes.
Reply/Quote
Football Fan #1: The NFL has lost its way with all these rules. You can't even touch guys anymore! Why not put a dress on the QB?

Football Fan #2: Fair enough. Want to watch an NFL game from 1937?

Football Fan #1: No way, that stuff is boring as hell!
Reply/Quote
I can't quote you Nately. But I would certainly like to watch a game with violent hits. I am ok with the qb being kept safer. The biggest issue I have is now WR's get this protection they don't need. The game is already slanted to help them. The hit is one of the few legitimate defenses left. If you want to stop hitting then allow contact after 5 yards. But allowing that would slow the game down. Hits would not . WR's would be a lot better at getting down in traffic like they used to be ....
Reply/Quote
You also can't have less practice time and contact with coaches in the offseason and also hamstringing the defense.

Something has to give.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 06:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't quote you Nately.   But I would certainly like to watch a game with violent hits.     I am ok with the qb being kept safer.    The biggest issue I have is now WR's get this protection they don't need.    The game is already slanted to help them.   The hit is one of the few legitimate defenses left.     If you want to stop hitting then allow contact after 5 yards.      But allowing that would slow the game down.    Hits would not .     WR's would be a lot better at getting down in traffic like they used to be ....

People want to see scoring and TDs and passing and if that is what people want, that is what the NFL will strive to deliver.  Believe me, I live in Steeler country and the people around here complain to no end that football should be about running the ball and playing defense.

What do you think they do when Pig Ben bombs a TD to one of his WRs?  You think they complain that they didn't call a 2 yard run up the gut?  Nah, not quite.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People want to see scoring and TDs and passing and if that is what people want, that is what the NFL will strive to deliver.  Believe me, I live in Steeler country and the people around here complain to no end that football should be about running the ball and playing defense.

What do you think they do when Pig Ben bombs a TD to one of his WRs?  You think they complain that they didn't call a 2 yard run up the gut?  Nah, not quite.

Yeah like I said.  I have no issues with protection....  But protection plus lack of practice is what's hurting the game.   Something had to give....    I don't want to see running the ball either ....    But you can't let guys play touch football and then give no practice for defenses.   Plus WR no longer have to learn how to get low.   They have the refs to protect them
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They don't need anymore protection .  

(03-19-2016, 06:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't quote you Nately.   But I would certainly like to watch a game with violent hits.     I am ok with the qb being kept safer.    The biggest issue I have is now WR's get this protection they don't need.    The game is already slanted to help them.   The hit is one of the few legitimate defenses left.     If you want to stop hitting then allow contact after 5 yards.      But allowing that would slow the game down.    Hits would not .     WR's would be a lot better at getting down in traffic like they used to be ....

(03-19-2016, 10:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah like I said.  I have no issues with protection....  But protection plus lack of practice is what's hurting the game.   Something had to give....    I don't want to see running the ball either ....    But you can't let guys play touch football and then give no practice for defenses.   Plus WR no longer have to learn how to get low.   They have the refs to protect them

Rolleyes 

This is not much different that OSHA coming into my place of business and saying I have to have my guys wear gloves that they are already wearing.  There are rules to protect the QB that leave too much to interpretation...but the rules are also so these young men can earn their pay and then enjoy a life afterwards without too much damage to their bodies and minds.

Defenses can still hit a WR over the middle.  The can NOT hit them in the head or neck when they are defenseless.  QB's can still take a vicious, body bending hit in the back they never saw coming.  They can NOT be hit in the head or from the knees down.

The rules are there to protect the player, the product, and the enjoyment of the fans who appreciate the game.

I don't think they need more, they need to be more consistent in calling the ones they have.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 06:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: But I would certainly like to watch a game with violent hits.

I think it depends on who is getting hit.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy who claims to love violent hits get all happy when his QB gets lit up.  Well, those Steelers knocked Dalton and McCarron out of the game and we're looking at starting Wenning for the next 2 months, but I sure do love seeing violent hits so all is well!
Reply/Quote