Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL ratings and poor officiating
I am sure that the protests are a major factor in declining ratings.

But I also think that the abysmal officiating is finally catching up with Mr. PC Roger GODell. 

Week after week, game after game, officials decide games with horrible calls even with the benefit of replay.

We are not the only small market fan base who thinks NFL regularly favors teams with big markets and promoted by the media like the Pats and the Steelers. 

Crews are completely inconsistent compared to other crews - such as the ridiculous Bengals-Steelers crew this year that was allowing Steeler O lineman to tackle Bengals D lineman.

Crews are completely inconsistent during games in the way they call pass interference and personal fouls.  How Burfict could be suspended for 3 games while Shazier was not even flagged in the playoff game is beyond absurd.

It is long past time when the NFL should have full-time and younger professional officials who spend the week studying game film and working with supervisors to ensure consistency among crews and during a game.

Mr. PC Roger GODell continuing refusal to address this major problem is ruining the integrity of the league. More and more people I know are starting to believe that the NFL is completely fixed.

Of course no one in Roger GODell's office gives a dam so long as the TV money rolls in. They will not make any changes to the awful officiating crews until and if they start losing money.

I am honestly starting to think that the NFL is perhaps the most corrupt of all professional leagues including European Football and FIFA, which is saying a whole lot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who has time for issues like player safety and consistent officiating when there are more pressing matters? Such as moving two teams to a basketball town like Los Angeles, or establishing a team in London that nobody wants.

Roger Goodell is a ***** idiot, and I'll dance naked in the streets the day the owners decide they've had enough of him.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals can't even lead and light someone up with a shoulder without getting flagged, every hard hit by us I just start looking for the yellow.
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/nfl-identified-16-missed-calls-in-packers-jaguars-game/amp/?client=ms-android-uscellular-us

I don't have any doubt that the golden teams are given a lot of breaks.if you have doubts about who the golden teams are, watch NFL commercials and see who is always featured
Reply/Quote
-Bad officiating.
-Favoritism officiating.
-Rules that don't make sense anymore. (What's a catch?)
-Rules that change the game.
-Replay that doesn't work.
-Thursday Night Football is awful.
-The offseason is no longer an offseason if there's nonstop news/happenings/etc. You need down time.
-Shipping home games to other countries.
-Most unlikable Commissioner of any sport in recent memory.
-TD, commercial, PAT, commercial, kickoff touchback, commercial.
-There only seems to be 5 commercials per game just on rotating repeat.
-Having to listen to Simms/Nantz.
-Rapidly vanishing parity.
-Too many people out with injuries.
-Modern day college football ruining the NFL's talent pipeline. (QB's don't know how to read defenses or call plays, OL don't know how to block, CB don't know how to backpedal, nobody had playbooks anymore, etc.)

Probably some other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 10:28 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am honestly starting to think that the NFL is perhaps the most corrupt of all professional leagues including European Football and FIFA, which is saying a whole lot.

Nope, never more than FIFA.

They accepted bribes to give Qatar the 2022 World Cup. Current estimates have the number at 7,000 migrant workers dying to construct the stadiums needed to host it. Migrant workers who were lured there with offers of jobs with good pay and working conditions, and then had their passports taken from them so they couldn't leave the country (welcome to Qatar law), and live in crap rooms like 8-12 people per room while working outside in temperatures that *average* over 100 degrees in summer (May-Sept there). Most of the deaths from heat stroke.

Think about that. More people will die so Qatar can host the World Cup than died from 9/11.

All because of bribes causing FIFA to choose a country that had no business hosting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/qatar-world-cup-workers-dead-2014-3 (2y ago)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/qatar-called-to-publish-world-cup-worker-death-figures-1433421740 (1y ago)
http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/10/03/world-turns-blind-eye-qatars-worker-exploitation/ (Recent)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope, never more than FIFA.

They accepted bribes to give Qatar the 2022 World Cup. Current estimates have the number at 7,000 migrant workers dying to construct the stadiums needed to host it. Migrant workers who were lured there with offers of jobs with good pay and working conditions, and then had their passports taken from them so they couldn't leave the country (welcome to Qatar law), and live in crap rooms like 8-12 people per room while working outside in temperatures that *average* over 100 degrees in summer (May-Sept there). Most of the deaths from heat stroke.

Think about that. More people will die so Qatar can host the World Cup than died from 9/11.

All because of bribes causing FIFA to choose a country that had no business hosting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/qatar-called-to-publish-world-cup-worker-death-figures-1433421740 (1y ago)
http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/10/03/world-turns-blind-eye-qatars-worker-exploitation/ (Recent)

That's horrific...
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope, never more than FIFA.

You are right about FIFA but NFL has never been investigated to the extent of FIFA.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:09 AM)Brimey Wrote: if you have doubts about who the golden teams are, watch NFL commercials and see who is always featured

Not saying I agree with the theory about officiating, but you raise an interesting issue regarding teams represented in commercials.  The same teams, and their fans, do seem to show up in commercials again and again:  Pats, Packers, Steelers, one of either the Giants or Jets, and the Cowboys.  Like clockwork.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 10:35 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Who has time for issues like player safety and consistent officiating when there are more pressing matters?  Such as moving two teams to a basketball town like Los Angeles, or establishing a team in London that nobody wants.

Roger Goodell is a ***** idiot, and I'll dance naked in the streets the day the owners decide they've had enough of him.

Apparently running a "non-profit" that pretty much has a license to print money is something the owners think almost no one is capable of doing. They think they are lucky to have Goodell, who is doing his best to strangle that goose that somehow keeps laying golden eggs. They have no idea how much money they are leaving on the table.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: -Bad officiating.
-Favoritism officiating.
-Rules that don't make sense anymore. (What's a catch?)
-Rules that change the game.
-Replay that doesn't work.
-Thursday Night Football is awful.
-The offseason is no longer an offseason if there's nonstop news/happenings/etc. You need down time.
-Shipping home games to other countries.
-Most unlikable Commissioner of any sport in recent memory.
-TD, commercial, PAT, commercial, kickoff touchback, commercial.
-There only seems to be 5 commercials per game just on rotating repeat.
-Having to listen to Simms/Nantz.
-Rapidly vanishing parity.
-Too many people out with injuries.
-Modern day college football ruining the NFL's talent pipeline. (QB's don't know how to read defenses or call plays, OL don't know how to block, CB don't know how to backpedal, nobody had playbooks anymore, etc.)

Probably some other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Good job! "...Just a few of my favorite things". 
Reply/Quote
I've said it in other threads. That farce of an NFL game that was week 2 at Pitt has broken my will to give a shit about any of it. It's all ho-hum.
Reply/Quote
It looks more and more crooked all the time.

With so much money at stake it is hard to believe it is completely legit at times.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Not saying I agree with the theory about officiating, but you raise an interesting issue regarding teams represented in commercials.  The same teams, and their fans, do seem to show up in commercials again and again:  Pats, Packers, Steelers, one of either the Giants or Jets, and the Cowboys.  Like clockwork.
I don't believe there is an actual conspiracy tof protect the most popular teams. But I believe the refs are subconsciously drawn to give these teams the benefit of the doubt. Undoubtedly the Belichck mystique gives the Pat's a few calls during the year, as refs are not wanting to draw his ire. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Not saying I agree with the theory about officiating, but you raise an interesting issue regarding teams represented in commercials.  The same teams, and their fans, do seem to show up in commercials again and again:  Pats, Packers, Steelers, one of either the Giants or Jets, and the Cowboys.  Like clockwork.

Remember the Super Bowl several years back Steelers vs Seahawks and the winners got to go to Disneyworld on the house ? Like 90% of the I'm going to Disneyworld commercials featured Steelers - going to Disneyworld well before the game was over.

Things that make you say hmmmmmmmm
Reply/Quote
Once Goodell is gone, he will be replaced by Vince McMahon.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 10:28 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am sure that the protests are a major factor in declining ratings.

But I also think that the abysmal officiating is finally catching up with Mr. PC Roger GODell. 

Week after week, game after game, officials decide games with horrible calls even with the benefit of replay.

We are not the only small market fan base who thinks NFL regularly favors teams with big markets and promoted by the media like the Pats and the Steelers. 

Crews are completely inconsistent compared to other crews - such as the ridiculous Bengals-Steelers crew this year that was allowing Steeler O lineman to tackle Bengals D lineman.

Crews are completely inconsistent during games in the way they call pass interference and personal fouls.  How Burfict could be suspended for 3 games while Shazier was not even flagged in the playoff game is beyond absurd.

It is long past time when the NFL should have full-time and younger professional officials who spend the week studying game film and working with supervisors to ensure consistency among crews and during a game.

Mr. PC Roger GODell continuing refusal to address this major problem is ruining the integrity of the league. More and more people I know are starting to believe that the NFL is completely fixed.

Of course no one in Roger GODell's office gives a dam so long as the TV money rolls in. They will not make any changes to the awful officiating crews until and if they start losing money.

I am honestly starting to think that the NFL is perhaps the most corrupt of all professional leagues including European Football and FIFA, which is saying a whole lot.

It's why I'm starting to lose interest.  The Bengals won't be allowed to win any significant game or season changing game, especially if it's against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 07:56 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: It's why I'm starting to lose interest.  The Bengals won't be allowed to win any significant game or season changing game, especially if it's against the Steelers.

Bengals Lives Matter.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:30 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember the Super Bowl several years back Steelers vs Seahawks and the winners got to go to Disneyworld on the house ? Like 90% of the I'm going to Disneyworld commercials featured Steelers - going to Disneyworld well before the game was over.

Things that make you say hmmmmmmmm

Things like that are filmed in advance, with members of both teams.  My step father and I went to Super Bowl XXIII in Miami.  On our way out of the stadium they were selling San Francisco Super Bowl Champion t-shirts and my step father tried to bribe a vendor to sell him a Bengals champion shirt.  The guy told us that there were pallets of merchandise for both teams kept under lock and key until a winner was decided.  I found out later that the "non winning" shirts get donated to charities in other countries.

There is no conspiracy.  I know that we live in a country of conspiracy theorists, but there is nothing here... think of the amount of people that would be involved to keep something like that going.  Now keep in mind that people become disgruntled, they talk, computers get hacked.  If it ever came out that NFL games are fixed, it would be the end of the NFL as we know it.  The gravy train would come to an abrupt stop.  And that gravy train is why the owners love Goodell.  The Bengals have gone from a value of about $950 million four years ago to almost $1.7 billion.  No way would any of them, even the supposed "favorites", take a chance on that ending.  At the end of the day, these are business men and would not allow something to put that in jeopardy. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 08:05 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Things like that are filmed in advance, with members of both teams.  My step father and I went to Super Bowl XXIII in Miami.  On our way out of the stadium they were selling San Francisco Super Bowl Champion t-shirts and my step father tried to bribe a vendor to sell him a Bengals champion shirt.  The guy told us that there were pallets of merchandise for both teams kept under lock and key until a winner was decided.  I found out later that the "non winning" shirts get donated to charities in other countries.

There is no conspiracy.  I know that we live in a country of conspiracy theorists, but there is nothing here... think of the amount of people that would be involved to keep something like that going.  Now keep in mind that people become disgruntled, they talk, computers get hacked.  If it ever came out that NFL games are fixed, it would be the end of the NFL as we know it.  The gravy train would come to an abrupt stop.  And that gravy train is why the owners love Goodell.  The Bengals have gone from a value of about $950 million four years ago to almost $1.7 billion.  No way would any of them, even the supposed "favorites", take a chance on that ending.  At the end of the day, these are business men and would not allow something to put that in jeopardy. 

They almost doubled in value to keep losing in big games...  Ninja
Reply/Quote