Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL rule change
(05-23-2023, 03:37 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well it looks like they are extending Goodell until 2027

Geez.Attitude
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you really wanna make the game more exciting, remove KRs and PRs altogether.

As others have said, just start at the 25 yard line after a team has scored rather than do a KR.

As for PRs, imagine how exciting it would be to see teams go for it on 4th down every time, knowing what could happen if they don't convert. It could result in more scoring due to shorter fields for the team gaining possession, which I think most fans prefer anyway.

No thanks, love the game the way it is. 
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 05:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: No thanks, love the game the way it is. 

Ok, Grandpa  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It seemed to me that last year the Bengals were trying more kickoffs just short of the end zone with the idea that their special teams could stop the returner before the 25-yard line. In other words, the "pop-up" kickoff to trap the other team deep in their own territory. This pretty much eliminates that strategy.

This is something that should have been decided before the draft. It does seem that some of the Bengals picks this year were looked at as being major players on special teams until they were ready for a starting role. In fact, I remember Simmons making comments about certain players and special teams, such as Battle.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 06:37 PM)Nepa Wrote: It seemed to me that last year the Bengals were trying more kickoffs just short of the end zone with the idea that their special teams could stop the returner before the 25-yard line. In other words, the "pop-up" kickoff to trap the other team deep in their own territory. This pretty much eliminates that strategy.

This is something that should have been decided before the draft. It does seem that some of the Bengals picks this year were looked at as being major players on special teams until they were ready for a starting role. In fact, I remember Simmons making comments about certain players and special teams, such as Battle.

Truth, it is not only the rule change that is bogus, but the timing of it.Rant
Reply/Quote
They're so concerned about player safety they've added another regular season game and yet another wild-card team within the past couple years. So since that time every team has at least one more game to see players get hurt, and two teams have two more such games. It's time they get called out for using "player safety" as an impetus for these unnecessary rule changes.
Reply/Quote
No one should be surprised to find out that the Bengals voted against the rule change.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm assuming that my suggestion of moving the kickoff tee placement back to the 15 and reinserting the wedge is off the table for now?

Reply/Quote
I can understand the spirit of the rule. But, seems the NFL keeps making sissies out of players. Might as well no longer kickoff like was mentioned earlier.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 01:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agreed. 

But I do think having a roster spot for a kickoff return guy makes no sense any more. It has to be a guy who merits a spot absent KR abilities. 

yeah having versatility is important.   The guy has to be at least serviceable in his spot of the field. if needed.     Usually a WR / RB or CB  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you really wanna make the game more exciting, remove KRs and PRs altogether.

As others have said, just start at the 25 yard line after a team has scored rather than do a KR.

As for PRs, imagine how exciting it would be to see teams go for it on 4th down every time, knowing what could happen if they don't convert. It could result in more scoring due to shorter fields for the team gaining possession, which I think most fans prefer anyway.

if i wanted to see that crap id just play madden online
Reply/Quote
It was stupid in college football and it's even more so in the NFL. At this point what's even the point of the kickoff?

They sure seem to be doing their best to also make sure that no veteran can ever stick around on special teams, either. A lot of guys are going to have their careers ended earlier because their vet minimum is more than a rookie minimum for a roster slot that's being expected to do less and less actual football.

EDIT: Looks like the Bengals, Patriots, Ravens, Lions, and Bears all voted no on the rule change.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Get rid of kickoffs but add another game to the schedule and make teams play twice on Thursday nights during the year.

Thank God the NFL is always looking out for player safety.

Exactly.... flexing to TNF is as dumb as it gets.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote