Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Field Advantage
(05-14-2020, 11:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think no noise is a huge advantage for a rookie QB. So, I vote dead silence so Burrow can't be rattled by a hostile crowd like we have at home when we play the Steelers and the Browns and the 8 away games.

That was my first thought. No fans could be of a huge benefit for rookies this year. I'm leaning towards playing in empty stadiums just so it might help burrow out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:08 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: I think that might be worse than no sound from the crowd. Who wants a fake crowd?

I suspect from watching on tv you'd never know the difference. If you watch movies like Secretariat, they filmed like 50 fans in the stands, then just reproduced them to make the stands look full. We all know it would be fake, but it would appear more normal to the viewer.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect from watching on tv you'd never know the difference. If you watch movies like Secretariat, they filmed like 50 fans in the stands, then just reproduced them to make the stands look full. We all know it would be fake, but it would appear more normal to the viewer.

Yes I would know the difference because I know there is no one there? This isn't a film, crowds react to what is occuring on the field, how do you replicate that? In other sports I watch they have the referees with microphones always on and it allows you to hear what is happening on the field. In this situation that is much better than fake crowd noise.
Reply/Quote
Just found out that the National Rugby League that is restarting in about 3 hours after stopping for 10 weeks for covid 19 at least one of the broadcasters will be using fake crowd noises. They did up this video to show what it will sound like, I can tell you I am not happy about it.
https://imgur.com/X1MEAiP

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2020-broncos-vs-eels-roosters-vs-rabbitohs-fox-league-virtual-audio-crowd-noise/news-story/2fb113b37d705f4b7df7548c0f579fe1
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 03:49 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If they do it like the XFL was, it would be actually pretty entertaining.

I know the XFL still had fans, but it was much smaller crowds then an NFL game, but with all the added things of hearing players and coaches it off-set the lowered volume from the crowds.

The NFL has an advantage over MLB and other major sports as they are in the off-season and have time to find ways to fill in the gaps from not having a crowd.

Yeah, just spread out, that is all.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 03:47 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Just found out that the National Rugby League that is restarting in about 3 hours after stopping for 10 weeks for covid 19 at least one of the broadcasters will be using fake crowd noises. They did up this video to show what it will sound like, I can tell you I am not happy about it.
https://imgur.com/X1MEAiP

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2020-broncos-vs-eels-roosters-vs-rabbitohs-fox-league-virtual-audio-crowd-noise/news-story/2fb113b37d705f4b7df7548c0f579fe1

I played Semi-Pro American football for 8 seasons.  We were accustomed to playing in nearly empty stadiums.  The dozen or so times that we actually had a significant crowd, it was a real treat.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nah, if you want this to be entertaining then skip the fake crowds and fake crowd noise altogether. Instead, just run the gameday thread as a scroll along the bottom of the screen. Fans of other teams will tune in just to watch the carnage. Big ratings ThumbsUp
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 02:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I played Semi-Pro American football for 8 seasons.  We were accustomed to playing in nearly empty stadiums.  The dozen or so times that we actually had a significant crowd, it was a real treat.

All my football was played in front of empty crowds lol, I think a guy and the dog he was walking saw me play once but maybe he didn't look in our direction.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 07:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, if you want this to be entertaining then skip the fake crowds and fake crowd noise altogether.  Instead, just run the gameday thread as a scroll along the bottom of the screen.  Fans of other teams will tune in just to watch the carnage.  Big ratings  ThumbsUp

I actually watched the game last night with the fake crowd noise and it actually wasn't that bad. It really just worked as background noise that took out the echo that you could hear in the empty stadium in earlier games. It didn't trick me into thinking their wasn't a crowd there but I didn't find it distracting like I though it would.

In this video you can hear the crowd noise and how it worked in last nights game of Rugby League in Australia.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I definitely told this story on the mothership before, but not sure here.

That morning, there's buzz everywhere (Maple, Ontario is {still is, even though a ton of Russians and Indian-ethnic people have moved into the area} predominantly Italian) and I'm dreading the next day of (summer) school, if Italy wins.

At around 12:30, I ask my sister to drive me to my grandmother's, about 5 minutes away. She obliges and I set down to watch the Jays pound the Royals, my idol, Eric Hinske goes 2 for 4 with a home run and Halladay pitched a great game.

Didn't watch a second of the final and don't regret it in the slightest Big Grin

Edit* Not to be a dick btw, but it's Paesano Wink

2nd Edit*** https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA200607090.shtml Oooh yeah! Forgot Chad Mottola played that game! Big Grin
WhoDey2 Only us older guys will understand that Chad Mottola is an ex-Red... ThumbsUp
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:08 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: I think that might be worse than no sound from the crowd. Who wants a fake crowd?

Chargers. Then they'd have an actual fans cheering for them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Browns ??? I had season tickets for 20 years and I can tell you the Browns fans are not the Steeler faithful at our place.. not even close.. they have their usual fans just like we do when we go t Cleveland but they don't have the following of the Steelers

They have industrialized in breeding in the hills around "Da Burg." Cleveland can't compete with that. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 08:21 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: I actually watched the game last night with the fake crowd noise and it actually wasn't that bad. It really just worked as background noise that took out the echo that you could hear in the empty stadium in earlier games. It didn't trick me into thinking their wasn't a crowd there but I didn't find it distracting like I though it would.

In this video you can hear the crowd noise and how it worked in last nights game of Rugby League in Australia.

Yeah, better than the echo of an empty stadium that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 01:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, better than the echo of an empty stadium that is for sure.

For comparison a game from earlier in the year played in an empty stadium but without the fake crowd noise. It definately works as background noise to take out the echo of an empty stadium.

Reply/Quote