Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's Most Overrated Player on Each Team
CBS Sports has a list of the most overrated players on each team, and Sanu makes the list for the Falcons:

Quote:Mohamed Sanu WR / Atlanta Falcons
The Falcons paid him a lot of money, but is he really anything more than a reliable second receiver? He has 152 catches in four seasons and just 11 touchdown catches. He's getting a lot of money for a guy who is just OK.

I've said all-along that we were smart to let him go because he wasn't worth that kind of money and only looked as good as because he had AJ taking all the attention away from the other receivers.

I think Marvin Jones, who didn't make the list, should also be considered in that same discussion for the same reasons. However, to build the case even stronger for Jones to be on this list, he's among the top ten highest-paid receivers over the next three years. The Lions are going to look and feel stupid when it becomes apparent that Jones was just the beneficiary of AJ and Andy.

I was shocked that Jones didn't make the list.

On the other hand, Maualuga made the list for us, which blows me away because who overrates him?

Quote:He is the starter in the middle of their defense, but he doesn't run well enough anymore. He started 14 games last season, but his skills are eroding. He's still OK, but his lack of speed shows up on tape. Vincent Rey, who has been mostly a backup, is a better option now.

I agree that he has been slipping, but, again, who overrates him? I think what makes that even more of a stupid claim is that he doesn't play in nickel packages, which is becoming more and more common than the traditional 4-3.

Regardless, if he can stay healthy, I think he'll do ok for us, but I definitely don't think he's the most overrated player on our team.
Reply/Quote
The Colt's/NFL's most overrated player isn't Andrew Luck, so this list is bad. Lol

For the Bengals, I would go McCarron.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For the Bengals, I would go McCarron.

I would probably agree. 

But i can see why they went with Maualuga.
The guy has really been, well, average his entire career. And for him to be even known at all, makes him overrated.

I can also definitely see why they went with Sanu. But Jones? Jones is not overrated. He is actually really good, and his name is not known to many people around the league because AJ Green has been on the same team as him. It would get interesting, though, if Jones beat out Golden Tate for the #1 reciever in Detriot.
Reply/Quote
Le'Veon "glass" Bell.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 08:49 PM)Gohards Wrote: I would probably agree. 

But i can see why they went with Maualuga.
The guy has really been, well, average his entire career. And for him to be even known at all, makes him overrated.

I can also definitely see why they went with Sanu. But Jones? Jones is not overrated. He is actually really good, and his name is not known to many people around the league because AJ Green has been on the same team as him. It would get interesting, though, if Jones beat out Golden Tate for the #1 reciever in Detriot.

He is supposed to be the number one reciever we matched Detroit offer but they offered him number 1 wr opportunity which we could not do
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Colt's/NFL's most overrated player isn't Andrew Luck, so this list is bad. Lol

Honestly, outside of Bengals fans no one really talks about him or hypes him up.

I mean sure, there's been articles about him when he played. But that's about it.

Outside of these boards and Bengals fans, he's not even a thought.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm probably late to the party, but if he were still playing J Football, the very embodiment of the word bust.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Colt's/NFL's most overrated player isn't Andrew Luck, so this list is bad. Lol

How so?  I don't think I've heard anyone singing his praises, even though he led us to what should have been our first playoff victory in twenty years.
(07-22-2016, 07:16 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm probably late to the party, but if he were still playing J Football, the very embodiment of the word bust.

I don't think he's ever been rated high in the NFL.

He had to call the Browns during the draft and basically beg them to trade up to draft him, which they did because they're the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 06:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: CBS Sports has a list of the most overrated players on each team, and Sanu makes the list for the Falcons:

I've said all-along that we were smart to let him go because he wasn't worth that kind of money and only looked as good as because he had AJ taking all the attention away from the other receivers.

I think Marvin Jones, who didn't make the list, should also be considered in that same discussion for the same reasons.  However, to build the case even stronger for Jones to be on this list, he's among the top ten highest-paid receivers over the next three years.  The Lions are going to look and feel stupid when it becomes apparent that Jones was just the beneficiary of AJ and Andy.

I was shocked that Jones didn't make the list.

On the other hand, Maualuga made the list for us, which blows me away because who overrates him?

I agree that he has been slipping, but, again, who overrates him?  I think what makes that even more of a stupid claim is that he doesn't play in nickel packages, which is becoming more and more common than the traditional 4-3.

Regardless, if he can stay healthy, I think he'll do ok for us, but I definitely don't think he's the most overrated player on our team.

The team overrates him by making him a starter. Luckily, in the case of the Bengals, they don't have him as a three-down player unless an injury happens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think our most overrated player is Michael Johnson. That isn't to say I don't like him, but he got huge FA dollars (only to be released a year later, and I realize there was an injury involved) and is still being paid pretty well here in Cincy. I would think he would have developed a few more pass-rushing moves by now, but he simply isn't a very good pass rusher. I really like him as a run stuffer, but I would like to see my RDE get more pressure on the QB.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think our most overrated player is Michael Johnson.  That isn't to say I don't like him, but he got huge FA dollars (only to be released a year later, and I realize there was an injury involved) and is still being paid pretty well here in Cincy.  I would think he would have developed a few more pass-rushing moves by now, but he simply isn't a very good pass rusher.  I really like him as a run stuffer, but I would like to see my RDE get more pressure on the QB.

Yeah, I thought the same thing (with apologies to his father if he still frequents the boards). But maybe after a year of settling back into our system he'll have a really good year. Then too, if you're being a run stopping DE, it isn't always going to be flashy. 

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think our most overrated player is Michael Johnson.  That isn't to say I don't like him, but he got huge FA dollars (only to be released a year later, and I realize there was an injury involved) and is still being paid pretty well here in Cincy.  I would think he would have developed a few more pass-rushing moves by now, but he simply isn't a very good pass rusher.  I really like him as a run stuffer, but I would like to see my RDE get more pressure on the QB.

He had injuries in Tampa and I'm thinking he may never have fully recovered from his knee injury last season.

Anxious to see how he and Hunt perform this year - assuming they stay healthy
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 02:50 PM)3wt Wrote: He had injuries in Tampa and I'm thinking he may never have fully recovered from his knee injury last season.

Anxious to see how he and Hunt perform this year - assuming they stay healthy

It would be AMAZING if Hunt could just get on the field consistently and make a consistent impact, even if usually small.

I think, once he starts seeing the field regularly, it will all just start to click and he'll go loco on offenses  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I think Hunt having back surgery really slowed him down last year. If he makes it through training camp healthy and gets that full camp under his belt and hits the ground running in the regular season he will be a whole different player than what we have seen.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 04:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Hunt having back surgery really slowed him down last year. If he makes it through training camp healthy and gets that full camp under his belt and hits the ground running in the regular season he will be a whole different player than what we have seen.

Lol, I think that's just optimistic thinking, Nati. People have been saying for four years now that "this season Hunt will be a beast". Dude's a bust, sometimes you just gotta accept it.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 04:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, I think that's just optimistic thinking, Nati. People have been saying for four years now that "this season Hunt will be a beast". Dude's a bust, sometimes you just gotta accept it.

You dont think its possible a back injury and then surgery could have slowed him down at all? When you are stuck behind Dunlap and on a team that rarely plays young guys i hope to see a healthy year before writing him off. 

If he was really a straight up bust i think this well run team would have addressed the DE spot more than they have. We have showed no urgency in replacing Hunt and or Clarke. I take that as a vote of confidence from the front office.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 02:06 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He is supposed to be the number one reciever we matched Detroit offer but they offered him number 1 wr opportunity which we could not do

we shouldn't have even been close to offering that much for the #2 WR... imo  but you get attached after 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 05:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You dont think its possible a back injury and then surgery could have slowed him down at all? When you are stuck behind Dunlap and on a team that rarely plays young guys i hope to see a healthy year before writing him off. 

If he was really a straight up bust i think this well run team would have addressed the DE spot more than they have. We have showed no urgency in replacing Hunt and or Clarke. I take that as a vote of confidence from the front office.

Coaches believe in him... We just haven't got to see him much yet. especially fully healthy.  But if he cant get and stay healthy that will end a career just as fast as not panning out.    We knew he would take time to get ready dude played football for all of 2 to 4 years in college?  compared to most these guys starting before 10 years old.

So far he hasn't lived up to a 2nd round status and by that you could call him a bust.  but it was a project pick and we all know that.  But this will be the year that tells us or not because contract will expire...     When you consider MJ and Dunlap eat up most the D snaps he really has a limited time to shine as well.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 05:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You dont think its possible a back injury and then surgery could have slowed him down at all? When you are stuck behind Dunlap and on a team that rarely plays young guys i hope to see a healthy year before writing him off. 

I think it's possible, but it wasn't like it was his first or second year. It was his third year in the NFL. The dude is 29 years old now and heading into his fourth season. He has 12 total tackles in those 3 seasons.

The Bengals don't want to replace him because he was a 2nd round pick who is athletically very gifted. Sadly, being athletically gifted doesn't mean you know how to/can play football.

Perfect example?
-Brock Lesnar in 2004. 6'2, 285, ran a 4.7, did 30 reps, 35" vertical, 10' standing long jump.
-JJ Watt in 2011. 6'5, 290, ran a 4.84, did 34 reps, 37" vertical, 10' standing long jump.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 05:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think it's possible, but it wasn't like it was his first or second year. It was his third year in the NFL. The dude is 29 years old now and heading into his fourth season. He has 12 total tackles in those 3 seasons.

The Bengals don't want to replace him because he was a 2nd round pick who is athletically very gifted. Sadly, being athletically gifted doesn't mean you know how to/can play football.

Perfect example?
-Brock Lesnar in 2004. 6'2, 285, ran a 4.7, did 30 reps, 35" vertical, 10' standing long jump.
-JJ Watt in 2011. 6'5, 290, ran a 4.84, did 34 reps, 37" vertical, 10' standing long jump.

lol brock lesnar he tried trying out again not to many years ago. at over 30 years old.  (still a beast though)
Reply/Quote