Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's most explosive ball carriers
One Bengal made this Next Gen Stat ranking, and it wasn't necessarily the one I expected...

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB
10+ yard runs: 26
10+ pct: 8.9%
15+ mph runs: 51
15+ mph pct: 17.5%

On one hand, Mixon is indeed an explosive rusher. His 51 15-plus mph runs and 26 10-plus-yard rushes prove that. At the same time, he's a runner who didn't gain much more than expected in 2021. Sure, he finished with the second-most rushing yards after contact last season (1,054), but he gained only one rushing yard over expected for the entire season. He also tied for the fifth-fewest average yards gained before contact in 2021, making the 15-plus mph runs a bit of an outlier.

Mixon rushed for 901 yards outside the tackles, the third most in the league. He is essentially a runner who wins by getting to and around the perimeter before taking off. It's a slow build, but it can be devastating -- and blinding, judging by his three carries that reached a top speed of 20-plus mph (tied for third-most in the NFL).

The rest of the list can be found here: https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-10-most-explosive-runners-of-2021-josh-allen-jalen-hurts-lamar-ja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:32 AM)wcu Wrote: One Bengal made this Next Gen Stat ranking, and it wasn't necessarily the one I expected...

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB

On one hand, Mixon is indeed an explosive rusher. His 51 15-plus mph runs and 26 10-plus-yard rushes prove that. At the same time, he's a runner who didn't gain much more than expected in 2021. Sure, he finished with the second-most rushing yards after contact last season (1,054), but he gained only one rushing yard over expected for the entire season. He also tied for the fifth-fewest average yards gained before contact in 2021, making the 15-plus mph runs a bit of an outlier.

Mixon rushed for 901 yards outside the tackles, the third most in the league. He is essentially a runner who wins by getting to and around the perimeter before taking off. It's a slow build, but it can be devastating -- and blinding, judging by his three carries that reached a top speed of 20-plus mph (tied for third-most in the NFL).

The rest of the list can be found here: https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-10-most-explosive-runners-of-2021-josh-allen-jalen-hurts-lamar-ja

For context, his "10+ yard run percent" of 8.9% ranks as 35th out of 58 backs who received 75 carries or more. I don't know what a good threshold is here, so I will post more complete data below, with varying carry thresholds....

Backs w/ 75+ carries - Mixon ranks 35th out of 58
Backs w/ 100+ carries - Mixon ranks 30th out of 49
Backs w/ 125+ carries - Mixon ranks 28th out of 41
Backs w/ 150+ carries - Mixon ranks 22nd out of 30
Backs w/ 200+ carries - Mixon ranks 16th out of 18

I personally would not classify Mixon as an explosive rusher, but this isn't all his fault. The Bengals offensive line sucked last season. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:53 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: For context, his "10+ yard run percent" of 8.9% ranks as 35th out of 58 backs who received 75 carries or more. I don't know what a good threshold is here, so I will post more complete data below, with varying carry thresholds....

I personally would not classify Mixon as an explosive rusher, but this isn't all his fault. The Bengals offensive line sucked last season. 

I wouldn't consider Mixon explosive either.
While he's good, I don't see home run threat speed when he does get into the open field.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't consider Mixon explosive either.
While he's good, I don't see home run threat speed when he does get into the open field.

Yeah, Mixon is a big back. He weighed in at 228 pounds at the combine. He posted average explosiveness numbers, and that has translated to the field. He isn't the guy to get the edge and outrun you very often, but he is a physical runner. Needless to say, I don't agree with the methodology used in the article here. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:53 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: For context, his "10+ yard run percent" of 8.9% ranks as 35th out of 58 backs who received 75 carries or more. I don't know what a good threshold is here, so I will post more complete data below, with varying carry thresholds....

Me either, he just doesn't have the really top end gear. And I'm very anxious to see what he does with what should be the best Oline he's had.
Reply/Quote
From what I have seen really long TD runs have as much to do with WR downfield blocking as break away speed.

I would not put Mixon on the top of the "most explosive" list, but He gets his share of long runs.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't consider Mixon explosive either.

Explosive does not equate top end speed. He is a powerful back but lacks a top high end. He has put up decent numbers behind a putrid line and turns a lot of negative plays into 1-2 yard gains with a lot of work put in. Excited to see whay he may do this year with a revamped o-line so long as they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Last year Mixon had 3 receptions of 40 plus yards.

To measure how explosive a player is they should look at receptions as well as carries.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:32 AM)wcu Wrote: One Bengal made this Next Gen Stat ranking, and it wasn't necessarily the one I expected...

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB

Mixon holds the top spot at Oklahoma for TD’s per touch. He’s like a TD for every 14 touches. Considering who has played there impressive
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:17 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Explosive does not equate top end speed. He is a powerful back but lacks a top high end. He has put up decent numbers behind a putrid line and turns a lot of negative plays into 1-2 yard gains with a lot of work put in. Excited to see whay he may do this year with a revamped o-line so long as they stay healthy.

Turning a negative play into a 1-2 yard gain is not what I would consider explosive.

Goose provided good data where Mixon had 8.9% of his runs went for 10+ yards.
For RBs at 200+ carries, that was 16th out of 18 players.

The longest run Mixon has ever had in his career was 51 yards, back in 2018.
The longest run he had last year was 32 yards.

Compare that to Jonathan Taylor, whose long run last year was 83 yards. His longest the previous year to that was 62.
Derrick Henry, who is a hoss, has had longest runs in a season of 75, 99, 74, 94, and 76.

You can be a good RB and not be overly explosive/fast. That's ok.
Just because someone says they don't think someone is explosive doesn't mean they are saying the player is bad. Just that there's more to be desired in some aspect(s).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not put Mixon on the top of the "most explosive" list, but He gets his share of long runs.

Mixon is pretty good at breaking long plays.  He has missed 12 games over the last 4 years but only 6 RBs have more plays of 40+ yards than Mixon's seven.

Saquan Barkley....16
Nick Chubb..........14
Derrick Henry.......13
Aaron Jones.........10
Jonathan Taylor......9
Alvin Kamara.........8

Interesting that the article cited in the OP lists Mixon as #6.  I agree he is not among the elite, but maybe top 10.  Just depends on how you want to define/measure "explosiveness".
Reply/Quote

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB

Nice thread and love the stats you dug up on Mixon. Pretty crazy doing that behind a bad OL, cannot wait to see what he does
running behind Ted, Alex and La'el. Think he is poised for a monster year if the OL can stay healthy. Pollack is also very good at
coaching up run blocking. It is his pass blocking coaching that has left some to be desired.

Mixon has good vision and burst, he just needs to finish the long runs with TD's more often, his biggest problem IMO. Finishing.

Think we will see Mixon more in the passing game as well this year where I think he has been underutilized.
Reply/Quote
Explosive:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From what I have seen really long TD runs have as much to do with WR downfield blocking as break away speed.

I would not put Mixon on the top of the "most explosive" list, but He gets his share of long runs.

Very true.   Corey Davis was kind of an unsung producer in terms of blocking in his last year with the Titans (year before last).   It's not surprising that they went out and signed a wr like Robert Woods this offseason.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 02:04 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Very true.   Corey Davis was kind of an unsung producer in terms of blocking in his last year with the Titans (year before last).   It's not surprising that they went out and signed a wr like Robert Woods this offseason.  

Our WR's take pride in their down field blocking the same as the Titans WR's.

Derrick Henry just has that extra gear that Mixon doesn't. Mixon IS explosive with great burst, but he isn't fast enough to 
outrun Corners and Safeties to the endzone like Henry is.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 02:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our WR's take pride in their down field blocking the same as the Titans WR's.

Derrick Henry just has that extra gear that Mixon doesn't. Mixon IS explosive with great burst, but he isn't fast enough to 
outrun Corners and Safeties to the endzone like Henry is.

Chase's willingness to look for a block downfield was something I wasn't expecting, and I was one of the "team Chase" guys since before the draft.  It made me love him as a player even more than I already did.  

Regarding Henry, he is somewhat of a unicorn (as is the Titan offense) in today's game.  I actually didn't think he would succeed at the NFL level like he has, and thought his speed would be negated by a lack (relatively speaking) of quick burst and agility. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 02:31 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Chase's willingness to look for a block downfield was something I wasn't expecting, and I was one of the "team Chase" guys since before the draft.  It made me love him as a player even more than I already did.  

Regarding Henry, he is somewhat of a unicorn (as is the Titan offense) in today's game.  I actually didn't think he would succeed at the NFL level like he has, and thought his speed would be negated by a lack (relatively speaking) of quick burst and agility. 

No doubt. Chase's big block downfield last year springing Mixon for that TD was one of the best plays of the year.

The selflessness with these young guys really shown on that play from Chase.

Henry doesn't have the craziest burst or agility true. But he is a brute physically and has legit deep speed to outrun secondary's.

Dude is special, Mixon is too but he doesn't have that legit deep speed Henry has to outrun secondary's.

Mixon needs those Chase blocks lol
Reply/Quote

Pretty sure he has just 4 rushing TDs of 20+ yards in his career. He didn't have any until Week 4 of 2020 (his 4th year) when he had 2 against the Jags (34 and 23 yarders). Then he had a 21 yarder against the Ravens and 20 yarder against the Raiders last year. Out of 1,104 carries, 954 carries outside of the Red Zone.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. Chase's big block downfield last year springing Mixon for that TD was one of the best plays of the year.

The selflessness with these young guys really shown on that play from Chase.

Henry doesn't have the craziest burst or agility true. But he is a brute physically and has legit deep speed to outrun secondary's.

Dude is special, Mixon is too but he doesn't have that legit deep speed Henry has to outrun secondary's.

Mixon needs those Chase blocks lol
Same here. The Chase block was kind of a microcosm of the team unity for me. Agreed, one of best plays of the year (and he had a few of them lol)

Yeah Henry’s long speed is pretty nasty for his size. I watch most Titans games, and he’s hard not to like and respect. I think it’s kind of cool that they adapted their offense to their strengths, albeit in an antiquated fashion. A few things didn’t hit (injuries mostly) or they were primed to have been the best team in the NFL imo.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 05:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure he has just 4 rushing TDs of 20+ yards in his career. He didn't have any until Week 4 of 2020 (his 4th year) when he had 2 against the Jags (34 and 23 yarders). Then he had a 21 yarder against the Ravens and 20 yarder against the Raiders last year. Out of 1,104 carries, 954 carries outside of the Red Zone.

That is surprising if true TLL. Henry has tons of 20+ yard TD's. But he also has had a much better run blocking OL.

Still Henry is faster once he gets up to speed.

Just takes him a little longer than Mixon who is fast initially with his burst and quickness but without that top end speed.

Thinking with the upgrades on the OL Mixon should add onto those 4 rushing TD's of 20+ this season. 

He should finally have some big holes to run through.
Reply/Quote