Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL worst vs. Rush what gives ?
Right now we're 30 in the league vs. the rush giving up 370 yards at 5 YPC, we've given up four 20+ yard runs. All this after going out and getting all these good tacklers in the offseason.

But here's the thing, this is nothing new.

2019 - 32nd giving up 2,382 yards at 4.7 a carry. We gave up 22 twenty+ yard rushes 2nd worst in the league.

2018 - 29th giving up 2,204 yards at 4.7 a carry.

2017 - 30th giving up 2,046 yards at 4.2 a carry.

How is it this team has been able to maintain it's stinking vs. the run so long ? It's probably the main reason we're 0-2 now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Charges nickel and dimed us to death and it all just caught up to us in the numbers by the end of the game. I felt like that was probably as good as it gets as it relates to the Defense "stopping" the run.

The Browns game was reminiscent of last years run defense.

If we can manage to tackle and not get gashed by the run like game 1, we may not need to be top 10 to win with Burrow. The problem is we have the Browns and Ravens twice and this is just a running division which will hurt the numbers.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
So I'll say something that's going to get me blasted but... we have played two really good rushing teams so far. The Chief's couldn't slow down the Chargers rushing attack either and the Browns are simply one of the best rushing teams in the league. Similar to what I have been saying about the Eagles not having enarly the pass rush of the two teams we have platyed so far, if we get gashed by the Eagles running game then we really need to worry. Either way are we a top run defense? No. I do think we will know this week if we are middle of the pack or simply horrible.
Reply/Quote
This team desperately needs Geno and Daniels at DT. I think it's a different run defense with those guys healthy.
Reply/Quote
No excuses, but the complete decimation of our DT corps doesn't help much in terms of stopping the rush. And it's odd how quiet the team has been regarding Geno's injury.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 12:15 PM)Big Boss Wrote: No excuses, but the complete decimation of our DT corps doesn't help much in terms of stopping the rush.  And it's odd how quiet the team has been regarding Geno's injury.

The fact IR is only a 3-week stay this season makes me feel like it isn't severe, but it definitely is concerning. 
Reply/Quote
If the squad keeps losing and offenses continue to have their way with the Bengals defense, does Mike/Tobin/Zac make the move of firing the defensive coordinator mid-season?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 12:08 PM)Au165 Wrote: So I'll say something that's going to get me blasted but... we have played two really good rushing teams so far. The Chief's couldn't slow down the Chargers rushing attack either and the Browns are simply one of the best rushing teams in the league. Similar to what I have been saying about the Eagles not having enarly the pass rush of the two teams we have platyed so far, if we get gashed by the Eagles running game then we really need to worry. Either way are we a top run defense? No. I do think we will know this week if we are middle of the pack or simply horrible.

Its true. I seen the struggles on defense coming before Thursday as soon as Mike Daniels started missing practices.

Injuries won't kill a team its injuries at one position group and the Bengals have taken some major hits at defensive tackle so far this season. I remember Rennell Wren mentioning they were doing more 5 man fronts in the Zoom meetings with him as a starting 34 End but alot of that has went out the window because of the injuries there...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I don't pretend to have the answers but it just seems to defy logic that this team could be this bad for so long.
Reply/Quote
These short week games are so random they are not normally overall predictive of anything.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:34 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: These short week games are so random they are not normally overall predictive of anything.

A short week ? It's been over 3 full seasons !
Reply/Quote
I feel like our defense is often fooled on misdirections and counters. If you get them going one way and the switch back they seem to be a few steps behind. We also just don’t have elite speed needed to catch guys on the outside runs sometimes.

It’s mostly been the linebackers. Once Wilson and ADG get up to speed I think it’ll be a bit better, but it may be a while until then.
Reply/Quote
Eagles just announced their starting LG is out. Again, if we can't get pass rush and contain the run this week I don't know if we will all year.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A short week ? It's been over 3 full seasons !

And the Browns were on the same short week and they completely shut our ground game down.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: Eagles just announced their starting LG is out. Again, if we can't get pass rush and contain the run this week I don't know if we will all year.

I sure hope they get something figured out. I sucks watching a game where you have your defense getting shredded by the run.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 12:13 PM)Fullrock Wrote: This team desperately needs Geno and Daniels at DT. I think it's a different run defense with those guys healthy.

No offense not trying to bash your opinion but Geno Atkins won’t make that much of a difference. We’ve been one of the worst defenses in the league the last 3 years with Geno playing. Geno and Dunlap aren’t the same players they used to be. Daniels is kinda in the same boat he was a pro bowler with the Packers and started to get old and decline so they cut him. The Lions signed him and had one of the worst defense in the league didn’t resign him. If it wasn’t for Tupou getting injured he’d probably still be unsigned. Geno and Daniels are better than what we’ve had next to Reader but they won’t save this defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope they get something figured out. I sucks watching a game where you have your defense getting shredded by the run.

Right? Long drives by the other team means less watching Joe Burrow on the field!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: No offense not trying to bash your opinion but Geno Atkins won’t make that much of a difference. We’ve been one of the worst defenses in the league the last 3 years with Geno playing. Geno and Dunlap aren’t the same players they used to be. Daniels is kinda in the same boat he was a pro bowler with the Packers and started to get old and decline so they cut him. The Lions signed him and had one of the worst defense in the league didn’t resign him. If it wasn’t for Tupou getting injured he’d probably still be unsigned. Geno and Daniels are better than what we’ve had next to Reader but they won’t save this defense.

Sad dose of reality right here.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 12:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If the squad keeps losing and offenses continue to have their way with the Bengals defense, does Mike/Tobin/Zac make the move of firing the defensive coordinator mid-season?

WhoDey2 I was hoping and praying to get up this morning and read he was fired...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 11:54 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right now we're 30 in the league vs. the rush giving up 370 yards at 5 YPC, we've given up four 20+ yard runs. All this after going out and getting all these good tacklers in the offseason.

But here's the thing, this is nothing new.

2019 - 32nd giving up 2,382 yards at 4.7 a carry. We gave up 22 twenty+ yard rushes 2nd worst in the league.

2018 - 29th giving up 2,204 yards at 4.7 a carry.

2017 - 30th giving up 2,046 yards at 4.2 a carry.

How is it this team has been able to maintain it's stinking vs. the run so long ? It's probably the main reason we're 0-2 now.

A lot of coaches will tell you that stopping the run is about an attitude.  Just like running the ball on offense.  Our attitude is way too passive on all fronts.  Can't believe I am typing that as I would think this QB would have his guys playing like their hair is on fire.  
Reply/Quote