Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NFLPA releases "Free Agency Report Cards"
(03-01-2023, 05:39 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Who here thinks Mike Brown still has his fingers on the checkbook? Raise your hand!
[url=http:// [Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476shhzpeoveyr0muqod...y.gif&ct=g]

How much longer can this guy live?  Just asking out loud for all of us..... Whatever

No one is asking that. He’s a human being, a father, husband, grandfather. Have some respect for human life.
Reply/Quote
No wonder poor Chad was scarfing down McDonalds. The Bengals were starving him.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to act like I'm knowledgeable when talking about the nutrition aspect, but I'd be lying.

I assume the issue is that when activities are scheduled in the facility meals are provided, but when nothing is planned the commissary is closed.  

What is the answer to get us a better rating:

Put some fresh fruit out?

Make sack lunches an option?

Have someone come in and make some PB&Js?

Hell just put a couple cases of these on the table:

[Image: MRE.jpg?fit=1200%2C800&ssl=1]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 08:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Answered it yourself.

A lot of these guys are early-mid-20s who have never had to be an adult before. Went from being children to being college students and the main/only focus for most of their entire life has been athletics.

Also a big part of it is what you just said with pack a sandwich. These are professional athletes with huge dietary needs. Joe Thomas ate every 2 hours. Marshall Yanda ate 6,000 calories a day. Jordan Gross ate 6 pieces of bacon, 6 scrambled eggs, two 50g protein shakes, 4 hardboiled eggs, and 2 chicken breasts... before 2pm.... every day. Russell Wilson eats 9 meals totaling 5,000 calories a day. JJ Watt would have 8 chicken breasts (3 of them wrapped in bacon) just for dinner.

That's more than you can just toss into a brown bag, and certainly not something you want to eat cold and sitting around for ages. Guys need to eat huge amounts of calories to keep up their size and muscles (it's why you see a lot of NFL big guys just absolutely shrink down when they retire, they go back to a normal diet). They need the calories somehow, and by providing them with the meals you're ensuring those guys are meeting their caloric needs while still being able to work out and study in the facility and removing it from them having to worry/think about it so they can focus more on football. All while making sure those calories are coming from healthier means like chicken, eggs, and pasta instead of big macs, fries, and soda.

- - - - - - - -
EDIT:
The 49ers were given an A- for Food Service/Nutrition (tied for 5th place). Here's an article from just a couple years ago, it includes a theoretical meal plan for what one of their OL might need to eat in a day. It's way beyond packing a lunch and also probably a whole lot of effort to do for yourself, doubly so if you're a single 21-25-year-old...
https://www.49ers.com/news/niners-nutrition-49ers-offensive-defensive-lineman-meal-plan-diet

Now imagine a guy getting personalized meal plans to meet his caloric and nutritional needs to that degree, while also being provided a personalized vitamin and supplement plan versus a guy who just eats whatever he goes out and orders for pickup/takeout and only taking vitamins and supplements if he chooses to personally go out and research and buy them. One of them has a clear advantage over the other in a contest of physicality.

As an interesting side note, not NFL-related, but athlete diet-related. Apparently Michael Phelps would eat 12,000 calories a day when he was ramping up heading into competitions. That's insane. Preparing that much food is basically a full time job for someone. Lol

Very well said and great post!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 12:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd like to act like I'm knowledgeable when talking about the nutrition aspect, but I'd be lying.

I assume the issue is that when activities are scheduled in the facility meals are provided, but when nothing is planned the commissary is closed.  

What is the answer to get us a better rating:

Put some fresh fruit out?

Make sack lunches an option?

Have someone come in and make some PB&Js?

Hell just put a couple cases of these on the table:

[Image: MRE.jpg?fit=1200%2C800&ssl=1]

I'll trade my chili mac for $20 and an omelet meal lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 11:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm sorry I refuse to give any kinda sympathy for a grown man with a steady high pay check that cannot feed himself with all the starvation in the world. If it was football or training related I would be all on board but food sorry no. In the USA food is way to easy to come by even with heavy dietary restrictions. 

Yes, because if the Bengals are cheap and don't bring themselves up to the NFL standard that saved money will go right to starvation and not into, say, the bank account of a BILLIONAIRE. 

You're arguing to protect the bank account of a billionaire, making excuses for him so he doesn't have to give his employees the same level of benefits as the industry standard. Congrats, all the starvation in the world has been solved. Rolleyes

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 12:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, because if the Bengals are cheap and don't bring themselves up to the NFL standard that saved money will go right to starvation and not into, say, the bank account of a BILLIONAIRE. 

You're arguing to protect the bank account of a billionaire, making excuses for him so he doesn't have to give his employees the same level of benefits as the industry standard. Congrats, all the starvation in the world has been solved. Rolleyes

This has zero to do with the organizations.

I'm sorry to me this is a silly argument. We are talking about players that make at least league minimum of around 750k a year complaing about not getting a free lunch on days off work. I'd rather the organization take that money and donate it to people that can't afford food.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 12:53 AM)Synric Wrote: This has zero to do with the organizations.

I'm sorry to me this is a silly argument. We are talking about players that make at least league minimum of around 750k a year complaing about not getting a free lunch on days off work. I'd rather the organization take that money and donate it to people that can't afford food.

No, we are talking about a company that gives their employees worse benefits than the industry standard, and how that company needs to bring themselves up to at least around average.

Guess what? It's not getting donated. It's not happening, so mentioning it is pointless. There are only two options that can happen: 
1. It's all getting added into a billionaire's wealth. 
2. A little goes towards treating the billionaire's employees more in-line with league average, and the vast majority is still getting added to a billionaire's wealth.

Choose. That's the only choice here, though so far it sure seems like you're dead set on 1.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No, we are talking about a company that gives their employees worse benefits than the industry standard, and how that company needs to bring themselves up to at least around average.

Guess what? It's not getting donated. It's not happening, so mentioning it is pointless. There are only two options that can happen: 
2. A little goes towards treating the billionaire's employees more in-line with league average, and the vast majority is still getting added to a billionaire's wealth.

Choose. That's the only choice here, though so far it sure seems like you're dead set on 1.

Stop.

Bengals players make enough money to provide theirselves a meal on their days off. If they can't then they need to seriously consider their budget.

It's really that simple.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:27 AM)Synric Wrote: Stop.

Bengals players make enough money to provide theirselves a meal on their days off. If they can't then they need to seriously consider their budget.

It's really that simple.

Got it, so you choose 1. Save that poor poor billionaire's bank account from having to adhere to league norms. Good to know.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Got it, so you choose 1. Save that poor poor billionaire's bank account from having to adhere to league norms. Good to know.

The company provides training training equipment oppurtonities jobs money.... a player can buy their lunch if they decide to use the Bengals facility on their off days instead of paying for say Black Sheep Proformace which is big for Bengals players which they pay to use the equipment and while I'm not sure they pay for their own lunch too.

Silly Silly Argument. I bet whoever you work for makes alot do they provide your lunch? Of course not.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:34 AM)Synric Wrote: The company provides training training equipment oppurtonities jobs money.... a player can buy their lunch if they decide to use the Bengals facility on their off days instead of paying for say Black Sheep Proformace which is big for Bengals players which they pay to use the equipment and while I'm not sure they pay for their own lunch too.

Silly Silly Argument. I bet whoever you work for makes alot do they provide your lunch? Of course not.

[Image: 7cyw62.jpg]

....Denny?

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:39 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 7cyw62.jpg]

You're agreement is people that make at least a million a year needs free food because their employer makes 10x that much. Shit Walmart needs to start playing their employees rent then I bet they could do that and still make more than the Bengals.

If you make a 750k+ a year you can afford lunch on your day off. Zero Sympathy.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No, we are talking about a company that gives their employees worse benefits than the industry standard, and how that company needs to bring themselves up to at least around average.

This is quite the leap (pun intended) to go from the results of this focused survey to we give employees worse benefits than the industry standard.  The survey seems to indicate we don't give players' wives a place to breastfeed on gameday, a place to charge their iPhones,  or free food on off days. There's no talk of medical facilities, practice facilities (which have recently been improved). or quality of life in the off-season. 

Perhaps the Bengals are targeting players that don't but their emphasize on such things.

It's simply a news piece to generate the type of response you're providing. Sounds like the crowd that said Burrow would never come here.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:48 AM)Synric Wrote: You're agreement is people that make at least a million a year needs free food because their employer makes 10x that much. Shit Walmart needs to start playing their employees rent then I bet they could do that and still make more than the Bengals.

If you make a 750k+ a year you can afford lunch on your day off. Zero Sympathy.

(03-02-2023, 01:49 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This is quite the leap (pun intended) to go from the results of this focused survey to we give employees worse benefits than the industry standard.  The survey seems to indicate we don't give players' wives a place to breastfeed on gameday, a place to charge their iPhones,  or free food on off days. There's no talk of medical facilities, practice facilities (which have recently been improved). or quality of life in the off-season. 

It's simply a news piece to generate the type of response you're providing. Sounds like the crowd that said Burrow would never come here.

My "agreement" is if the entire industry is better than you at something, you should probably improve at that. It doesn't matter how much the people make, if you're the worst, improve.

No matter how you feel about it personally, it doesn't change the fact that the Bengals are tied for the worst in the league at it. There's nobody worse. I don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Mike Brown's pocket. I'm not even saying they need to be the best in the league at it, just aim for being league average. How is that such a big ask to not be grouped together with Dan Snyder? 

It's from 1,300 players, Bfine, so that's roughly 40 per team giving their opinion on their teams. It's not just a news piece.

Talk about sounding like a crowd. People defending Mike Brown's pocketbook from having to change being ranked the worst at something sounds like the crowd who said "Sign free agents? How'd that work out for the Browns? You want to be them?" every time people pushed for actually participating in FA. (Or moving on from Marvin Lewis, for that matter.) Sure enough, actually participate in FA like you're a real NFL franchise and you go to a SB. 

Probably also said that you worked outside in the elements, so why can't players work outside? They don't need an indoor practice facility like every single other NFL team in the North.

Almost like there's some merit in making your organization not be run as one of the cheapest in the league and continuing to push for improvement towards being a first class organization.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 02:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No matter how you feel about it personally, it doesn't change the fact that the Bengals are tied for the worst in the league at it. There's nobody worse. I don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Mike Brown's pocket. I'm not even saying they need to be the best in the league at it, just aim for being league average. How is that such a big ask to not be grouped together with Dan Snyder? 

It's from 1,300 players, Bfine, so that's roughly 40 per team giving their opinion on their teams. It's not just a news piece.

Talk about sounding like a crowd. People defending Mike Brown's pocketbook from having to change being ranked the worst at something sounds like the crowd who said "Sign free agents? How'd that work out for the Browns? You want to be them?" every time people pushed for actually participating in FA. (Or moving on from Marvin Lewis, for that matter.) Sure enough, actually participate in FA like you're a real NFL franchise and you go to a SB. 

Probably also said that you worked outside in the elements, so why can't players work outside? They don't need an indoor practice facility like every single other NFL team in the North.

Almost like there's some merit in making your organization not be run as one of the cheapest in the league and continuing to push for improvement towards being a first class organization.

Nobody's defending "Mike Brown's pocketbook". I was one of the most vocal around here about us not having an indoor facility. The team has changed recently, most can see it, some cannot. 

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 02:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My "agreement" is if the entire industry is better than you at something, you should probably improve at that. It doesn't matter how much the people make, if you're the worst, improve.

No matter how you feel about it personally, it doesn't change the fact that the Bengals are tied for the worst in the league at it. There's nobody worse. I don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Mike Brown's pocket. I'm not even saying they need to be the best in the league at it, just aim for being league average. How is that such a big ask to not be grouped together with Dan Snyder? 

Zero to do with Mike Brown. I'm all for more money in teaching, training, training facilities, rehab, medical, and hell I'm not a huge advocate of big scouting rooms but smart better scouts never hurts. (More voices doesn't mean better scouting its 2023.)

I guess I might be a little biased as an employer instead of employee especially since I do pay per diem. 

Edit: What makes this funny is Ive only ever had 2 real employers myself and they both provided meals 3 times a day 7 days a week. Military 8 years Prison Guard 6 months lol.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:27 AM)Synric Wrote: Stop.

It's really that simple.

Except it’s not really their day off. Zac has said he knows he’ll see everyone in the locker room. I look at it more as protecting their investment in the players. Providing them with healthy, nutrient rich foods at the facility will keep them in better shape to do their jobs.

It doesn’t matter if these guys are millionaires. It is whether, the Bengals, as an organization, are meeting their industry’s standard of fringe benefits and expectations. In some cases yes they are in others not so much.
Nutritionally it sound like the are missing the mark big time compared to every other team. It is not unreasonable to believe your workplace should have working plumbing that meets the needs of your workplace. It is not unreasonable to expect your recovery equipment Ie the hot and cold tubs be large enough to fit the size of players needing them. In 2023, it is not unreasonable to expect a convenient place to charge electronics especially since the Surface tablets are required equipment. Improving the gameday experience for families can be done relatively easily but probably isn’t that important.
As I said earlier, until we know the number of respondents per team and the actual methodology the results are essentially meaningless.
For most free agents choosing a team comes down to money, chance. To play, and chances of making a run to the Super Bowl.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 05:33 AM)pally Wrote: Except it’s not really their day off.  Zac has said he knows he’ll see everyone in the locker room.  I look at it more as protecting their investment in the players.  Providing them with healthy, nutrient rich foods at the facility will keep them in better shape to do their jobs.

It doesn’t matter if these guys are millionaires. It is whether, the Bengals, as an organization, are meeting their industry’s standard of fringe benefits and expectations. In some cases yes they are in others not so much.
Nutritionally it sound like the are missing the mark big time compared to every other team.  It is not unreasonable to believe your workplace should have working plumbing that meets the needs of your workplace. It is not unreasonable to expect your recovery equipment Ie the hot and cold tubs be large enough to fit the size of players needing them.  In 2023, it is not unreasonable to expect a convenient place to charge electronics especially since the Surface tablets are required equipment. Improving the gameday experience for families can be done relatively easily but probably isn’t that important.
As I said earlier, until we know the number of respondents per team and the actual methodology the results are essentially meaningless.  
For most free agents choosing a team comes down to money, chance. To play, and chances of making a run to the Super Bowl.

Bengals are around league average in Nutrition score a D. Smells like people complain alot about food to me.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 04:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: From ESPN:

"The NFL Players Association on Wednesday released what it describes as "free agency report cards" for all 32 teams, presenting the results of a player survey on topics ranging from quality of team facilities to treatment of player families. The players' union ranked all 32 teams against each other in the hope of providing players with information they might be able to use in free agency when deciding on new teams."

"NFLPA president JC Tretter said that roughly 1,300 players responded to the survey. Players were asked their opinions on their own teams only and received a 60-question survey covering eight topics -- treatment of player families, food service/nutrition, weight room, strength coaches, training room, training staff, locker room and team travel."

I don't see the actual place the Bengals landed as yet. It will be available soon at nflpa.com.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35761648/nflpa-survey-vikings-dolphins-raiders-top-free-agency-report-cards

I had to read about as far as "treatment of families" to know this is complete BS, and if our players complained about that then they need a freaking history lesson. For all of Mike Brown's faults, he is by and far the most loyal owner in the league when it comes to his players, and is the ONLY owner who would keep a marginal player on the 53-man roster for the lone reason of allowing that player to keep his insurance to pay for his daughter's cancer treatments. And he is well known for honoring players contracts when he should really be cutting them. Of course, most of our players weren't here then and probably don't know about how MB treated the Stills when devastation hit them. The rest of it all sounds like spoiled millionaires complaining they had to buy their own lunch and vitamins. THIS is when coaches need to sit their players down and have a talk with them and discuss what's important in life. This really chaps my ass and reeks of ingratitude for what they have.
Reply/Quote