Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO NFL Network analyst picked us to return to Super Bowl
(09-05-2022, 08:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Sir Justin can do no wrong and he's the next big thing...that's done absolutely nothing in 2 years. 

Burrow didn't have to play in the last game, last year, and Herbert had the must-win @LV, so here are their stats through 16 games started.

Herbert: 409  608   67.2%  4631  7.6   35 14   99.5
Burrow:  366  520  70.4%  4611  8.9   34 14  108.3

And on top of that, Burrow (coming off major injury) was sacked 20 more times than Herbert was sacked last season, and still put up those numbers and led his team to the SB. 

Herbert is a gunslinger for sure, and I was wrong about him coming out of college. I figured he would be an average QB, but he is actually a really good QB. He will put up big numbers in his career no doubt, but he does not have the edge, leadership and sheer will to win that Burrow does. 
Reply/Quote
The 10-7 is deceiving. We had 2 losses at least that were basically due to Burrow shaking out the post injury rust (Bears and Browns 1) and Browns 2 was essentially a preseason game for us. So we EASILY could have been 13-4 if Burrow had been fully worked up at season start.

And health wise we were not as special as some claim. By season's end we had lost our starting RT and RG and all of the remaining guards on the roster as well as the starting C were playing hurt. We also lost Ogunjobi early in the Wild Card game and Burrow was even playing hurt for a while there.

This season right now we actually have pretty much everyone we expected to have healthy as, well, healthy. We majorly upgraded the OL and our depth in the secondary has also had a big upshift.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 08:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Sir Justin can do no wrong and he's the next big thing...that's done absolutely nothing in 2 years. 

Burrow didn't have to play in the last game, last year, and Herbert had the must-win @LV, so here are their stats through 16 games started.

I can understand why analysts might not want to pick the Bengals again this year with it being a miracle season, but if they're not looking at us why on earth are they looking towards the Chargers so hard. I can get the Chiefs and Bills picks because they've had sustained success over a period of time longer than one season.
Reply/Quote

Those are not Herberts numbers from last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:36 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I can understand why analysts might not want to pick the Bengals again this year with it being a miracle season, but if they're not looking at us why on earth are they looking towards the Chargers so hard.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:18 AM)Joelist Wrote: The 10-7 is deceiving. We had 2 losses at least that were basically due to Burrow shaking out the post injury rust (Bears and Browns 1)

C'mon man.  The first Cleveland game was in week NINE.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:36 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I can understand why analysts might not want to pick the Bengals again this year with it being a miracle season, but if they're not looking at us why on earth are they looking towards the Chargers so hard. I can get the Chiefs and Bills picks because they've had sustained success over a period of time longer than one season.

I know right

The Chargers have hovered around .500 the two seasons with Herbert and went 4-5 to end last season. And they're in one of if not the best divisions in the NFL. They're not going to just run over the Chiefs, Broncos, and Raiders.

I don't get why they're being touted as a juggernaut.
Reply/Quote
There going off of the stat about QBs returning to super bowl, but what they do not realize is Joe Burrow is a different creature. Joe Burrow is not Donovan McNabb, etc. Those other QBs who didn't make it back weren't the primary reason their team made the SB to begin with, Joe Burrow is.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know right

The Chargers have hovered around .500 the two seasons with Herbert and went 4-5 to end last season. And they're in one of if not the best divisions in the NFL. They're not going to just run over the Chiefs, Broncos, and Raiders.

I don't get why they're being touted as a juggernaut.

Maybe because they kicked our asses on our home field.

We beat the Chiefs on a last second FG and many fans here think it proves we won't lose to them again.  Meanwhile the Chargers beat us by 20 at home.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe because they kicked our asses on our home field.

We beat the Chiefs on a last second FG and many fans here think it proves we won't lose to them again.  Meanwhile the Chargers beat us by 20 at home.

Good grief Fred. It’s the NFL quit making it so black and white like you do. The Jags beat the Bills. At least we beat the Chiefs twice in a month.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 08:46 PM)Cincybearcatfan Wrote: Bottom line, the Bengals get an extra home game this year and so do the Browns. 
Not sure what this means. The Bengals had the extra home game last year (9 home, 8 away) and this year it is reversed (8 home, 9 away).
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Good grief Fred. It’s the NFL quit making it so black and white like you do. The Jags beat the Bills. At least we beat the Chiefs twice in a month.

Fred is right on this... The Chargers rocked the Bengals.

Mike Williams just bullied the outside corners and even though the Chargers ran a ton of cover 2 the Bengals just could not run the football like they should have because poor run blocking. Burrow had a 1 or 2 INTs in that game trying to make something happen.

This is a big reason I'm on the run blocking this year its vital to sustaining drives and having a good redzone offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Well there is a Legit Chance we dont make it back to the Super bowl.... Id say we should be in the playoffs... then anything can happen lets not forget this was 10-7 team last year with some lucky breaks... And we barely squeeked by in 2 of the Playoff Games.. that could have easily ended in Losses.

But doesnt mean our Expectations should be Any Lower than a SB Win lol
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:07 AM)bengaloo Wrote: And on top of that, Burrow (coming off major injury) was sacked 20 more times than Herbert was sacked last season, and still put up those numbers and led his team to the SB. 

Herbert is a gunslinger for sure, and I was wrong about him coming out of college. I figured he would be an average QB, but he is actually a really good QB. He will put up big numbers in his career no doubt, but he does not have the edge, leadership and sheer will to win that Burrow does. 

In the Chargers/Raiders January 9 game last year, that was to determine which team made the playoffs, Herbert was very clutch. I watched the game on NFL network during the summer and was really impressed how many 4th and long passes he completed. I think he had three on the final do-or-die drive to tie the game at the end of regulation and three more fourth down plays in the do-or-die drive before that one. (One fourth down success was via penalty.) The Los Angeles Times dubbed him "Mr. Fourth Down."

So, I am not sure you can say Herbert lacks the "edge, leadership, and sheer win to will that Burrow does." 

Burrow is amazing, but I don't think we need to detract from Herbert.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:11 PM)bwh Wrote: I may be mistaken, but in the Super Bowl era, only a couple of teams have lost a Super Bowl and then went to the next Super Bowl and won it. There are only a handful of teams that lost a Super Bowl and got back to it the following year let alone won it. There is a lot of history of the team that loses the Super Bowl having a letdown the following season. I certainly hope the Bengals can make it back and win it. But that history may be the biggest reason why the Bengals are not being picked by many to return to the Super Bowl.

Yes - The AFC is REALLY tough too. We could win our division and play 2-3 really tough AFC opponents.

Our road could be something like - Denver or the Chargers in the WC game.
Kansas City in the next Round.
Buffalo in AFC Championship.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:18 AM)Joelist Wrote: The 10-7 is deceiving. We had 2 losses at least that were basically due to Burrow shaking out the post injury rust (Bears and Browns 1) and Browns 2 was essentially a preseason game for us. So we EASILY could have been 13-4 if Burrow had been fully worked up at season start.

And health wise we were not as special as some claim. By season's end we had lost our starting RT and RG and all of the remaining guards on the roster as well as the starting C were playing hurt. We also lost Ogunjobi early in the Wild Card game and Burrow was even playing hurt for a while there.

This season right now we actually have pretty much everyone we expected to have healthy as, well, healthy. We majorly upgraded the OL and our depth in the secondary has also had a big upshift.

We had a good year for injuries by NFL standards. We had some, but not many.

Then, yeah late season we lost Reiff and Larry O in the playoffs. But, we had some good health overall.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:12 AM)Nepa Wrote: In the Chargers/Raiders January 9 game last year, that was to determine which team made the playoffs, Herbert was very clutch. I watched the game on NFL network during the summer and was really impressed how many 4th and long passes he completed. I think he had three on the final do-or-die drive to tie the game at the end of regulation and three more fourth down plays in the do-or-die drive before that one. (One fourth down success was via penalty.) The Los Angeles Times dubbed him "Mr. Fourth Down."

So, I am not sure you can say Herbert lacks the "edge, leadership, and sheer win to will that Burrow does." 

Burrow is amazing, but I don't think we need to detract from Herbert.

I think it's an arms race to see which franchise can build a complete team around Herbert/Burrow.

Obviously the Bengals invested in defense last year and drafting Chase. This year, they added to the offensive line.

The Chargers invested pretty heavily in defense and are working on their line too.

At the Top-end of the NFL, there are probably 7 elite QB's in the AFC. (Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Mahommes, Jackson, Wilson, and probably Watson.)
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's an arms race to see which franchise can build a complete team around Herbert/Burrow.

Obviously the Bengals invested in defense last year and drafting Chase. This year, they added to the offensive line.

The Chargers invested pretty heavily in defense and are working on their line too.

At the Top-end of the NFL, there are probably 7 elite QB's in the AFC. (Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Mahommes, Jackson, Wilson, and probably Watson.)

I agree. I understand many Bengals fans have grown a distaste for the Chargers due to the Herbert/Burrow debate. I also understand that this distaste leads to folks trying to discredit Herbert, but he is really, really good. I'm an Oregon Ducks fan and I never anticipated him being this good. He didn't look the part in college, but with hindsight I think that was more coaching. 

Anyways, the Chargers had arguably a better offense than Cincinnati did last year and they have invested into defense which was their major weakness. They are also highly aggressive on 4th down, and convert their attempts very often. Dangerous offense, improving defense. The Chargers should be a playoff team this season. Cincinnati should be more than just a playoff team, though. 

IB4 "Herbert hasn't done shit blah blah blah". I get it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:00 AM)Nepa Wrote: Not sure what this means. The Bengals had the extra home game last year (9 home, 8 away) and this year it is reversed (8 home, 9 away).

I misread the schedule. I had the Tampa Bay game listed as a home game on my document. I fixed it.
Reply/Quote
Teams who lose, or win, the Super Bowl usually do not return for several reasons. Injuries can derail a season, but more specifically if you make it to the SB, usually by the time next year rolls around most of your assistant coaches have been plucked for other jobs, high end players may sign elsewhere for more money, etc. This team is different. All the coaches are back, as are most of the players. And last year Chase was a rookie and Burrow nad Higgins were in their sophmore seasons. All 3 should be even better now. The system is the same. No reason for this team not to pick up right where it left off.
Reply/Quote