Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO NFL Network analyst picked us to return to Super Bowl
(09-06-2022, 10:01 AM)Synric Wrote: Fred is right on this... The Chargers rocked the Bengals.

Mike Williams just bullied the outside corners and even though the Chargers ran a ton of cover 2 the Bengals just could not run the football like they should have because poor run blocking. Burrow had a 1 or 2 INTs in that game trying to make something happen.

This is a big reason I'm on the run blocking this year its vital to sustaining drives and having a good redzone offense.

He’s not wrong on SD. He’s wrong that he minimizes our KC victory on a last second field goal. I go round and round with him on it. He acts like using his favorite description of the Bengals a fluke. KC never lead most of the 4th quarter and guess what? We beat them again and KC never lead in the 4th of that game.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:07 AM)bengaloo Wrote: And on top of that, Burrow (coming off major injury) was sacked 20 more times than Herbert was sacked last season, and still put up those numbers and led his team to the SB. 

Herbert is a gunslinger for sure, and I was wrong about him coming out of college. I figured he would be an average QB, but he is actually a really good QB. He will put up big numbers in his career no doubt, but he does not have the edge, leadership and sheer will to win that Burrow does. 

Sir Justin. Jerbert. I give him shit but i think he's a good QB, like you said, who will put up big numbers over his career, ala Dan Fouts for the bolts back in the day. I've mentioned before that early in the process in '19, i liked Herbert more than Burrow. It wasn't until just past midway through the season that i switched over to Burrow and i'm glad we have him. 

It would be pretty cool to see the two match up over time like Manning and Brady did through the years. There's a lot of that potential in the AFC with Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes and Allen. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:36 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I can understand why analysts might not want to pick the Bengals again this year with it being a miracle season, but if they're not looking at us why on earth are they looking towards the Chargers so hard. I can get the Chiefs and Bills picks because they've had sustained success over a period of time longer than one season.

It's always about the 'little train that could'. The team that's still trying to get over the hump and all indicators point to them about ready to do it, etc. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 08:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Those are not Herberts numbers from last year.

They are, from games #1 through #16. Go back and re-read my post. 

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know right

The Chargers have hovered around .500 the two seasons with Herbert and went 4-5 to end last season. And they're in one of if not the best divisions in the NFL. They're not going to just run over the Chiefs, Broncos, and Raiders.

I don't get why they're being touted as a juggernaut.

The chargers should be considered as top tier team in AFC but yes I thought 5 picking them to win was high especially like you mentioned the div. They are in. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 11:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Teams who lose, or win, the Super Bowl usually do not return for several reasons. Injuries can derail a season, but more specifically if you make it to the SB, usually by the time next year rolls around most of your assistant coaches have been plucked for other jobs, high end players may sign elsewhere for more money, etc. This team is different. All the coaches are back, as are most of the players. And last year Chase was a rookie and Burrow nad Higgins were in their sophmore seasons. All 3 should be even better now. The system is the same. No reason for this team not to pick up right where it left off.

I remember I checked all the super bowl losers records at one point. I wonder how much turnover all of those teams actually had.
Reply/Quote
I have a question related to the stat of losing Super Bowl teams returning to the Super Bowl the following year:
Are the Bills counted once or four times in that stat?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:01 AM)Synric Wrote: Fred is right on this... The Chargers rocked the Bengals.

Mike Williams just bullied the outside corners and even though the Chargers ran a ton of cover 2 the Bengals just could not run the football like they should have because poor run blocking. Burrow had a 1 or 2 INTs in that game trying to make something happen.

This is a big reason I'm on the run blocking this year its vital to sustaining drives and having a good redzone offense.

Winning jump balls isn't really a sustainable way to win...most times. The Chargers seem to do it pretty regularly. In the same way the Bengals won a lot of 50/50 catches against the Chiefs at home, the Chargers did the same to the Bengals. That was a crazy game the way the tide swung so far, multiple times. The Mixon fumble/TD was the crucial play in that game because the Bengals were pretty solidly in control at that point and things just swung way the other way after that. 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 08:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Sir Justin can do no wrong and he's the next big thing...that's done absolutely nothing in 2 years. 

Burrow didn't have to play in the last game, last year, and Herbert had the must-win @LV, so here are their stats through 16 games started.

Herbert: 409  608   67.2%  4631  7.6   35 14   99.5
Burrow:  366  520  70.4%  4611  8.9   34 14  108.3
Not sure of your argument,  the stats don't really support Herbert being avg.,   like any team would be happy having either as their QB. 
I agree the finish of last year put Burrow on top and Bengals should have gotten more consideration for making it back to SB as a team butt Herbert is a quality young QB  and Chargers as a team look to be in top tier of AFC also
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - The AFC is REALLY tough too. We could win our division and play 2-3 really tough AFC opponents.

Our road could be something like - Denver or the Chargers in the WC game.
Kansas City in the next Round.
Buffalo in AFC Championship.

[Image: rick-flair-wooo.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I have a question related to the stat of losing Super Bowl teams returning to the Super Bowl the following year:
Are the Bills counted once or four times in that stat?

They "went back after losing the previous year" 3 times. 

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They "went back after losing the previous year" 3 times. 

And "did NOT go back after losing the previous year" 1 time. 3+1=4 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure of your argument,  the stats don't really support Herbert being avg.,   like any team would be happy having either as their QB. 
I agree the finish of last year put Burrow on top and Bengals should have gotten more consideration for making it back to SB as a team butt Herbert is a quality young QB  and Chargers as a team look to be in top tier of AFC also

No one said he's average. He's a very good QB. When you look at the numbers comparatively, Herbert has played more games due to injury and playing in the last game last year where Burrow didn't. 

My post was pointing out that, before the last game of last year, the "big" numbers, yds, tds, ints were almost the same. It was that last game against the Raiders that gave Herbert the 5,000yds and almost 40 tds that made his year look, statistically, that much better. 

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And "did NOT go back after losing the previous year" 1 time. 3+1=4 

Take a breath and follow along with me here, Phil. The stat in question is the number of teams that went back to the SB after losing the previous year. The Bills first year in the SB didn't count because they weren't "going back after losing the previous year". The 3 following years, they were "going back after losing the previous year", so it counts as "going back after losing the previous year" 3 times. 

Ya goober. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 01:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Take a breath and follow along with me here, Phil. The stat in question is the number of teams that went back to the SB after losing the previous year. The Bills first year in the SB didn't count because they weren't "going back after losing the previous year". The 3 following years, they were "going back after losing the previous year", so it counts as "going back after losing the previous year" 3 times. 

Ya goober. Mellow

No injuries.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Losing Super Bowl teams dont go back is such a lazy take.

Who were those teams?
Who were those QBs?
How many lost players or coaches or both the next season?

How many of those losing Super Bowl teams:
Had 10 starters return on defense?
Had 6 starters return on offense with 4 upgrades?
Had 3 new CBs the SB season and they all return?
Had a new starter at MLB and returned?
Had 2 new starters on the Dline and returned?
Had the top rated QB return?
Had a Top 3 WR return?
Had the best WR trio in the league return?
Had a Top 5 back return?
Had the HC, DC, OC, STC all return?

Teams that did lose and return to the SB had great QBs - Griese, Kelley, Brady.
Which great QB'S didnt return?
Marino - held out the next year and they still went to the AFC title game.
Manning - left the Colts
Favre - new HC
Mahomes - AFC title game
Elway - lost oline and dline

And sure the Bengals were healthy last season, the 7th healthiest team in the league. But why does this only matter with us? The Chiefs and Bills were the Top 2 healthiest teams last season yet I see no mention of this?

The Bengals lost 5 games by 3 points, twice in OT.
Do we lose to SF without 2 muffed punts in their redzone?
Do we lose to the Bears if Burrow doesnt throw 3 picks in a row?

The Rams (9-2) and the Bengals (8-3) were the hottest teams to end the season, yet only the Rams are picked to continue their success?

Bunch of hogwash...I hope the lack of respect fuels our guys even more.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 12:41 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I remember I checked all the super bowl losers records at one point. I wonder how much turnover all of those teams actually had.

I think it's a bunch of things.

Overconfidence. Teams play you harder. Harder schedule. Lower draft picks. Your players start to cost more to retain.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 01:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No one said he's average. He's a very good QB. When you look at the numbers comparatively, Herbert has played more games due to injury and playing in the last game last year where Burrow didn't. 

My post was pointing out that, before the last game of last year, the "big" numbers, yds, tds, ints were almost the same. It was that last game against the Raiders that gave Herbert the 5,000yds and almost 40 tds that made his year look, statistically, that much better. 

You can't just pretend a game never happened because it makes Herbert look better.

If they don't play the same number of games then post per-game averages to compare them.
Reply/Quote
Another way to look at it is an Elite QB is the cost of Admission to the AFC playoffs. Burrow is great, but so are 5-6 others.

It's going to be coaching and the rest of the teams that matter.

I definately like our roster.

Our coaches? I feel better about them. I'm not convinced they're elite. I think elite coaches counter what the Rams did in the SB with Donald and how they moved a DT over our C and overloaded it.

I also think that pass rush will matter A LOT.

That said, I do think we have a chance to make it back to the SB. Burrow with an O-line should be fun to watch!
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 10:22 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: Those are good points as well. Doesn’t really matter what people say anyway. What will happen will happen. That stuff never bothers me. Just looking forward to week 1!!

Yeah, who cares what people say no doubt.

Still it is the truth and at least we know it.

We didn't have our roster and coaches dismantled that lost the Superbowl like most team's do...

This is a big deal.
Reply/Quote