Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Tight Ends Day...
Well, I guess tomorrow is that time and we have Hayden Hurst going against his old teammate in Kyle Pitts.

Both first round picks, both talented, one crazy such in Pitts. Really love what I have seen of Hurst so far as a Bengal.

What are people's thoughts on the TE's playing?
Reply/Quote
Thought it was a cheerleader thread before opening.

Have been real pleased with Hurst and he seems to be trying to get better at blocking. Not that he will ever be a great blocker but still nice to see the effort.

Kind of like that he is going against his old teammate that has found more fame and success.

Should be extra motivation for Hayden to go all out and would not shock me if he has a big game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Actually been pretty disappointed by Hurst so far....

2022 Hurst
29.7 yards per game
7.7 yards per catch
3.7 YAC per catch
43.5% 1st Down Rate
74.2% catch rate

2021 Uzomah
30.8 yards per game
10.1 yards per catch
6.1 YAC per catch
51.0% 1st Down Rate
77.8% catch rate

Higgins has been hurt so there's been quite a bit more workload available and Hurst hasn't stepped up to even be as good as Uzomah was last year, let alone better. Even with the defenses playing 2 high to take away Chase, there theoretically should be way more room for a TE to work underneath, no?

Seems like Hurst's best play this year is getting 7 yards on 3rd and 10 to bring out the punt team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
2022 Uzomah - $8mill
2022 Hurst - $3.5mill

I'm good.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 03:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Actually been pretty disappointed by Hurst so far....

2022 Hurst
29.7 yards per game
7.7 yards per catch
3.7 YAC per catch
43.5% 1st Down Rate
74.2% catch rate

2021 Uzomah
30.8 yards per game
10.1 yards per catch
6.1 YAC per catch
51.0% 1st Down Rate
77.8% catch rate

Higgins has been hurt so there's been quite a bit more workload available and Hurst hasn't stepped up to even be as good as Uzomah was last year, let alone better. Even with the defenses playing 2 high to take away Chase, there theoretically should be way more room for a TE to work underneath, no?

Seems like Hurst's best play this year is getting 7 yards on 3rd and 10 to bring out the punt team.

CJ had 1 good game against Jacksonville

5 receptions
95 yards
19 y/r
2 TD

The other 5 games he was rather pedestrian

9 receptions
70 yards
7.7 y/r
1 TD

Half those yards came in the Minnesota game. The other 4 he averaged 4.4 y/r

Hayden has 23 receptions vs 13 for CJ last year at the same time. And Hayden has been far more consistent across all of the games than CJ. I’d rather get solid consistent production than a flashy game 1 week and disappearing the next.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 03:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Actually been pretty disappointed by Hurst so far....

2022 Hurst
29.7 yards per game
7.7 yards per catch
3.7 YAC per catch
43.5% 1st Down Rate
74.2% catch rate

2021 Uzomah
30.8 yards per game
10.1 yards per catch
6.1 YAC per catch
51.0% 1st Down Rate
77.8% catch rate

A person has to have not watched any Bengals games to think CJ is remotely close to Hurst in the receiving game.  Or not understood that Joe made some great calls and excellent plays versus man/single high defenses that were very big for CJ. 

The Jets are showing what CJ is and Hayden has made some great catches already. His catch radius is double CJ's.

Now do Chase, has he regressed since last year since his stats are lower?   

Reply/Quote
I like how hard Hayden runs and plays. Dude is INTENSE. Plays w fire.

I think he is exactly what we need.

I do think he could have been used far more thus far d/t the way teams are obsessed w Chase (and Tee).

Ditto that w Boyd. Love me some Boyd.

Get these 2 the ball more. They don’t disappoint.

We should be lighting teams up w these 4 options!!!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals offense was clicking more in the first 6 games ;last year imo too.

Hurst allowed some cap flexibility to help add FA OL as well which is a good thing.

Don't know and off to work but what are both of their stats currently this season ?

Is Hurst comparable to what CJ is doing in NY, worse, or better ?

Guessing close.

Am happy with Hurst so far and expect more from him as he develops more chemistry with Joe as well.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, I guess tomorrow is that time and we have Hayden Hurst going against his old teammate in Kyle Pitts.

Both first round picks, both talented, one crazy such in Pitts. Really love what I have seen of Hurst so far as a Bengal.

What are people's thoughts on the TE's playing?

Hurst play has been solid in WR still lacking a bit blocking but he has not lived up to a #1 pick yet in his career as for Pitts seemed to take a step back this year after a solid rookie year...yes banged up some but 13 catches after 6 games is not what you want from the #4 pick in the draft.. hopefully he does not have the needed breakout game
Reply/Quote

2022 Hurst
29.7 yards per game
7.7 yards per catch
3.7 YAC per catch
43.5% 1st Down Rate
74.2% catch rate

2021 Uzomah
30.8 yards per game
10.1 yards per catch
6.1 YAC per catch
51.0% 1st Down Rate
77.8% catch rate

Statistically, Hurst has been way more consistant than CJ was last year at this point. Those numbers you posted may look pretty equal but CJs were boosted by a 95yd 2td game against the Jags. 

Here is a game by game, catch and yardage for the first 6 games
CJ - 2/35, 2/4, 0/0, 5/95, 2/16, 3/15
Hurst- 5/46, 5/24, 1/7, 3/27, 6/53, 3/21
CJ had 3 tds at this point and Hurst has 2 so far.

CJ did have two 2 td games in the first half of the year, 2 games of 90+ receiving yards and became used a lot more late in the year. Hurst has had no problem getting open so far and has been missed a couple times he was running open in the seam. He just hasn't had the "big" game yet.

Hurst can only step up as much as Burrow allows him.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The only thing disappointing about Hurst is that he was somewhat ignored in earlier games admittedly by Burrow looking for big plays(cough cough Chase).

The guy plays with a rising ceiling and costs less than CJ.

Hopefully they can lock him up with a team friendly contract and draft a TE that actually plays up to his draft status this time(bye Drew).
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Loved CJ, but there is no fall off in talent in having Hurst instead of him.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Hayden Hurst had 6 receptions, 48 yards, 8 y/r

Mitch Wilcox had 2 receptions for 15 yards, 7 y/r

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Hurst is a Fabulous pick up . Great work moving c.j. on and getting a hungry guy needing a bit of love and somewhere to call home. I believe he's only on a one year contract, well sign him for another next year and then sign him the year after. He's just one of those guys that Joe throws it and he catches it. No frills good honest hard worker who keeps the chains moving, love the fella.
Reply/Quote
Dude is way more consistent than CJ

where are the Hurst haters?
Reply/Quote
I'm very happy with Hurst. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 05:46 PM)Cuzz from England Wrote: Hurst is a Fabulous pick up . Great work moving c.j. on and getting a hungry guy needing a bit of love and somewhere to call home. I believe he's only on a one year contract, well sign him for another next year and then sign him the year after. He's just one of those guys that Joe throws it and he catches it. No frills good honest hard worker who keeps the chains moving, love the fella.

Sorry we need to draft a TE, I'm in signing him if cheap but not if we wants more $$
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 06:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sorry we need to draft a TE, I'm in signing him if cheap but not if we wants more $$

just admit you were wrong about Hurst being inferior to CJ

c'mon. Be a man
Reply/Quote
IF we win a few more and the offense is rolling...I'd try to sign Gronk. That might be the edge this team needs to get over the top.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 06:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sorry we need to draft a TE, I'm in signing him if cheap but not if we wants more $$

Would draft a TE and move on from Sample and keep Hurst personally

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote