Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nebraska Kills the Death Penalty
(05-28-2015, 11:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Cheaper to kill someone than maintain them for life.   Tossing aside the moral argument of murder .... It's cheaper to kill.   

The very same moral argument for anti death penalty is the same for pro life.   The only differnce is one is innocent and the other is a violent criminal against society.   

Your right though ... It's an interesting debate on those issues.   And food for thought.   

It's not cheaper for the U.S. to kill than house for life. It's a lot more expensive.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I know in MD it cost $2m more to get the death penalty. Accounting for average life span in prison with the time prisoners sit on death row and average age of conviction, it's maybe 10-20 more years you're paying for them. That means it would need to cost the state $100,000-200,000 a year to house that prisoner for a life sentence to cost the same as the death penalty

(05-28-2015, 11:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's not cheaper for the U.S. to kill than house for life. It's a lot more expensive.

How is that even possible... Feeding, healthcare, etc.   I would love to see some numbers on thaf... 
(05-28-2015, 11:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I know in MD it cost $2m more to get the death penalty. Accounting for average life span in prison with the time prisoners sit on death row and average age of conviction, it's maybe 10-20 more years you're paying for them. That means it would need to cost the state $100,000-200,000 a year to house that prisoner for a life sentence to cost the same as the death penalty

Are they adding in the specialty cost of maintaining a high security death row facillity? 
(05-28-2015, 11:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How is that even possible... Feeding, healthcare, etc.   I would love to see some numbers on thaf... 

Mandatory appeals for death penalty, mandatory solitary confinement on death row, extra lawyers for the extra trials, the fact that most people wait many years on death row before they're killed and death row is more expensive, Etc.

Because it's the ultimate punishment, you need to have these safeguards for the accused's sake. 

(05-28-2015, 11:20 PM)YStLucieBengal Wrote: Are they adding in the specialty cost of maintaining a high security death row facillity? 

It says it includes incarceration costs, but it also says this is the cost for reaching the sentence, so maybe just special incarceration while on trial?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

(05-28-2015, 11:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It says it includes incarceration costs, but it also says this is the cost for reaching the sentence, so maybe just special incarceration while on trial?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Interesting....  I will have to do some homework.   

I don't see why they need special holding.   Put them in gen pop.  I wonder how much waste we have in these numbers. 
(05-28-2015, 11:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Interesting....  I will have to do some homework.   

I don't see why they need special holding.   Put them in gen pop.  I wonder how much waste we have in these numbers. 

Exactly.  Once you are found guilty that is that!
Take them straight to the chair!!!

Quit wasting money trying to protect the rights of Americans!  If they can't afford to protect their OWN rights that what are our soldiers dying for in Iraq?!?!

Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Hilarious to me that someone would think that the death penalty equals saving money. Most of these inmates sit around for years on death row appealing and wasting more money. It makes national news anymore when someone is put to death, that's how often it happens, bro.

Prison system as a whole needs to be reexamined. Prisons are big business.
(05-28-2015, 05:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think it's hard to give a straight opinion on the Death Penalty. Those that oppse it may feel differently if a loved one was taken from them at the hands of a convicted murderer, rapists, molester, kidnapper, ect.

I do think you should be allowed in cases where all shadow of doubt is removed. Multiple eye witnesses, ect...

If there is the slightest shawdow of the doubt I think it should not be employed. But like I said I may change my stance if someone were to torture and kill one of my loved ones and there was very strong evidence that they committed the crime.

there were multiple witnesses in Fergusson that said martin was just an innocent guy walking down the street when he got shot.

witnesses, multiple or not, are horrible in identifying what happened.

I'm against the death penalty, so I like the move. There was a time for it, but we aren't there any more. It doesn't work as a deterrent to crime, either.
I can't ever make up my mind. I really don't take any joy in someone being executed like those freaks with signs, but some people need to go. And I'm guessing if you actually are innocent, you have a much better chance of it being discovered if you are given the death penalty.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-29-2015, 08:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Exactly.  Once you are found guilty that is that!
Take them straight to the chair!!!

Quit wasting money trying to protect the rights of Americans!  If they can't afford to protect their OWN rights that what are our soldiers dying for in Iraq?!?!

Rolleyes

What are you talking about?  How is this relevant to anything that I said....  
(05-29-2015, 12:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What are you talking about?  How is this relevant to anything that I said....  

You've said we waste too much money taking care of convicts.  I'm assuming you believe everyone convicted is definitely guilty then.

You've said that if you can't afford a better lawyer...tough luck.

You've said you are for less government...especially when dealing your "rights".

You've said where you live people will shoot you if you "mess with them".

Its the natural progression to get to: convict them and fry them immediately. (if the cops can't just kill them on the sport of the arrest).

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.