Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Nervous Going into the Season
One thing we keep hearing about is how good the OL should be when we have the starters in there.
But we haven't seen the starters much at all, even in practices with all the injuries that happened before preseason.
And these backups have been obviously bad.

So I'm super nervous about the OL actually performing up to expectations once the season begins.

Anyone else nervous about this same thing?
Or nervous about any other position/aspect of the Bengals?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They only thing that worries me is if Joe's 100% on opening day.

He's already shown he doesn't need a oline to get to the Superbowl
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think we saw some noticeable improvement from some of the backup oline from preseason week 1 to 2. But saying makes me worry about the starters especially on the oline that it may take them a week or two to get they're feet back under them. Which normally I wouldn't worry about but our games after the bye are brutal in my opinion. So I think we need to start this season off really well if we want to get back in the playoffs.

I wouldn't say there is any group besides OL that I am overly concerned about as I think we have decent depth. I'm just worried because we were so close to winning it all and these next 2 seasons may be our best chance to get back before we start losing a lot of players.
Reply/Quote
The O-line is going to be better but they are not going to be elite especially with Volson or Carman at LG. None of these guys have made a single Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 07:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One thing we keep hearing about is how good the OL should be when we have the starters in there.
But we haven't seen the starters much at all, even in practices with all the injuries that happened before preseason.

So I'm super nervous about the OL actually performing up to expectations once the season begins.

The worry is LG and Collins. LG is a problem. Collins has some back issues. Collins is familiar with Pollack. But nervous or concern is warranted. Collins is fired up for the Rams practices he said. Some vets hate these practices. Collins says it’s like riding a bike.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 07:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They only thing that worries me is if Joe's 100% on opening day.

He's already shown he doesn't need a oline to get to the Superbowl

Joe Burrow had some very close calls last season.Remember when he hobbled off the field after getting hit in the knee in the SB.I thought that was it.Hopefully he stays healthy,but we all know,if he goes down,it’s over for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty excited to see Jonah, Carman/Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins line up and dominate that vaunted Steelers D week 1.
Reply/Quote
The defense worries me and I don’t know why. We were lights out in the playoffs but I have an uneasy feeling that it’s not going to carry over. We were middle of the pack last year and the schedule is tougher so it remains to be see how they respond.

I’m confident in the offensive line though, as long as everyone stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
Well the good news is they will certainly be better than what we had last season even if it takes a few games to get fully comfortable.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
The interesting thing will be seeing how this iteration of the D handles offense which predominantly run and power run. Such an approach is the logical counter to Lou's scheme but can be handled if Reader, Trey, Sam et al are up to the challenge. We're actually deep at LB and secondary with good players.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 07:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote:  None of these guys have made a single Pro Bowl.

I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. It surprised me, so I had to look it up. Yep, none of the Bengals OL has made the Pro Bowl from what I can see. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 07:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm pretty excited to see Jonah, Carman/Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins line up and dominate that vaunted Steelers D week 1.

Have they even practiced a single week together yet?
I don't think they have, right?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 09:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. It surprised me, so I had to look it up. Yep, none of the Bengals OL has made the Pro Bowl from what I can see. 

I think it has been mentioned before.  I just thought our fans should have realistic expectations.  We have some good linemen but this is not an elite line with elite talent.  They will be better but I don't see them in the top 10.  Probably more like 11 - 15.  That is still much better than last year's line.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
I don't think the starting five O linemen have taken a single snap lined up together, considering we don't know who starts a left guard. I'm a bit apprehensive myself. Getting ready to play division game to start the season, sure like to see what we have in this O line. It's like going out on a blind date...
Reply/Quote
OL depth. I get that they spent money and improved the starting group but just worried about an injury forcing Adeniji and or Prince back on the field. That’s my one hope is that they make one more upgrade to the OL before the season starts (as injuries are apart of an nfl season and it looks like a big drop off from our current starters to the backups)
Reply/Quote
Nervous? I haven't been this excited about a season since 2005...
Reply/Quote
Say nervous or worry they are the same.

Life is too short to worry about things we have no control over. Bengals OL may be great, may be bad, but when all is said and done hopefully life goes on. The sun will come up again either way.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 07:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One thing we keep hearing about is how good the OL should be when we have the starters in there.

Nope. Whatever happens was always going to happen. Whether i'm nervous or excited, won't change anything so it's a waste of time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Well just think as long as they stay healthy they surely can’t be worse than last years line. Also don’t freak the heck out when they aren’t as advertised early in the season. Even with all the pickups Kansas City had they struggled the first half of last season. The guys need time to gel.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 09:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Have they even practiced a single week together yet?
I don't think they have, right?

"With Collins back, that means all three major additions — including Ted Karras at center and Alex Cappa at right guard — are on the field working together."

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/20/lael-collins-returns-bengals-practice/

20-21 games that actually count will offer ample opportunity to play together and build more familiarity.

Being NFL veterans I give the three new guys and Jonah a pass for not dominating training camp
Reply/Quote