Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nervous? Not Joe
(08-20-2020, 04:45 PM)odysseus32 Wrote: So, I think this is where the two camps on Burrow diverge.  I had MANY arguments with people on TigerDroppings during the off-season between 2018 and 2019 that Burrow was in fact a very good QB.  I predicted that he would throw for 3500 and 30 TDs in 2019.  I slotted him as, I think, the 3rd best SEC QB behind Tua and Fromm.  My personal thoughts were that it was evident that he can manage and take over a game.  He did it against Auburn, UGA, Texas A&M (in losing fashion), and UCF.  There were many instances in 2018 where you saw that he had it, he was just in a new offense.  I was drooling waiting to see him with a full off-season with his WRs under his belt, as well as a year+ in the same environment.  I had no clue he was going to do what he did last season, but to say that nobody thought he was good before 2019 is false.  A handful of us over on Tigerdroppings knew he was good, we just didn't understand just how unshakable he would be when put in the right situations.

But I can understand how people get the impression that he was average in 2018, because statistically he was.  But his on the field play week in and week out told an entirely different story.

I like you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with everything you say.

The problem with most of the people around here is that they never even heard of Burrow before 2019.  But, like you, I saw him play in 2018.  No one was raving about his superhuman swagger back then.

Yeah, that's rough but true.  I will say I have faith in his ability to keep his head up when the going gets tough...and the going tends to get tough any time you lace 'em up in Cincy in the past 30 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, that's rough but true.  I will say I have faith in his ability to keep his head up when the going gets tough...and the going tends to get tough any time you lace 'em up in Cincy in the past 30 years.

Everything comes to an end...

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything comes to an end...

Unless you play in Cleveland or Detroit, I guess.  Here's hoping we can shake things easier than them.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Unless you play in Cleveland or Detroit, I guess.  Here's hoping we can shake things easier than them.

Cleveland was a dynasty. It came to an end. Wink

Detroit is just Detroit lol

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But I am worried that the "things that changed" at LSU were more about Joe Brady more than Burrow.

Ensminger is the brains behind that operation, not Brady; only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this.

(08-20-2020, 04:45 PM)odysseus32 Wrote: So, I think this is where the two camps on Burrow diverge.  I had MANY arguments with people on TigerDroppings during the off-season between 2018 and 2019 that Burrow was in fact a very good QB.  I predicted that he would throw for 3500 and 30 TDs in 2019.  I slotted him as, I think, the 3rd best SEC QB behind Tua and Fromm.  My personal thoughts were that it was evident that he can manage and take over a game.  He did it against Auburn, UGA, Texas A&M (in losing fashion), and UCF.  There were many instances in 2018 where you saw that he had it, he was just in a new offense.  I was drooling waiting to see him with a full off-season with his WRs under his belt, as well as a year+ in the same environment.  I had no clue he was going to do what he did last season, but to say that nobody thought he was good before 2019 is false.  A handful of us over on Tigerdroppings knew he was good, we just didn't understand just how unshakable he would be when put in the right situations.

But I can understand how people get the impression that he was average in 2018, because statistically he was.  But his on the field play week in and week out told an entirely different story.

I don't have any college affiliation, being born and raised in Canada and all, but Andrew Whitworth is my favourite player ever, so I've been an LSU mark since about 2009 or so.

I wanted Burrow on this team after 2018, badly; I was fully expecting him to be available in the 3rd round, as (like we all know) his stats were not eye-popping, but man, his poise was already off the charts in that UCF game and that was the game that convinced me that he was the QB for me.

And now we have him, hell yes Big Grin

(08-20-2020, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tiger droppings? Lol

lol it's an LSU news site.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, that's rough but true.  I will say I have faith in his ability to keep his head up when the going gets tough...and the going tends to get tough any time you lace 'em up in Cincy in the past 30 years.

(08-20-2020, 05:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything comes to an end...

When Chuck Knoll took the Steelers to the playoffs in 1972 it was their first winning season in 9 years and only the 8th winning season in the team's 40 year history. 

Anything can happen
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I like you.

Thanks, man.  I like you too.

This place seems cool.  I was really hesitant to even search out a Bengals board considering most forums are graveyards at this point, but I am glad I did.  I need to get more familiar with the roster, although I am sure that will come week by week.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ensminger is the brains behind that operation, not Brady; only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this.

I don't have any college affiliation, being born and raised in Canada and all, but Andrew Whitworth is my favourite player ever, so I've been an LSU mark since about 2009 or so.

I wanted Burrow on this team after 2018, badly; I was fully expecting him to be available in the 3rd round, as (like we all know) his stats were not eye-popping, but man, his poise was already off the charts in that UCF game and that was the game that convinced me that he was the QB for me.

And now we have him, hell yes Big Grin

lol it's an LSU news site.

Did you watch the most recent episode of Hard Knocks? Whit was featured a lot. They even showed old Bengals footage of him and Chad.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 07:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you watch the most recent episode of Hard Knocks? Whit was featured a lot. They even showed old Bengals footage of him and Chad.

DEFINITELY going to find it and watch it ASAP!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:50 PM)odysseus32 Wrote: Thanks, man.  I like you too.

This place seems cool.  I was really hesitant to even search out a Bengals board considering most forums are graveyards at this point, but I am glad I did.  I need to get more familiar with the roster, although I am sure that will come week by week.

This is hands down the best one I've come across.  Sure we fight, but in the end we all love the team and that's what matters.
Reply/Quote

Love at third post. Lol welcome to the board, Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
Let's face it, Bengals fans will be nervous about Burrow falling short or failing us unless/until he leads us all the way to the promised land. We've been beaten up and dragged around for too many years to ever have any real confidence in someone coming in and actually saving the day, whether it's players or coaches.

I think Burrow brings what the team needs to the table. His confidence and skills look to be what we've missed for a while. The swagger, the attitude, the coolness. But a whole lot of fans are playing the "prove it" card to comfortably fall back on if things go sideways. Because let's be honest; we're Bengals fans and that's what always happens.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right but other teams have matched those numbers.

OSU had 14 total in 2004

OSU had 10 in the first 3 rounds in 2016

Neither time did the Buckeys even win the championship, let alone set the record books on fire like Burrow did. It’s almost like being on a stacked team doesn’t guarantee anything...

In the two seasons you just mentioned the Buckeyes were ranked 4th nationally... both times. They went a combined 23-3 including winning both of the Fiesta Bowls they played in.

Being on a stacked team absolutely guarantees something.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When Chuck Knoll took the Steelers to the playoffs in 1972 it was their first winning season in 9 years and only the 8th winning season in the team's 40 year history. 

Anything can happen

Wait, I thought you were the guy trying to steady people's expectations in this thread.

Wait til' you see the political section!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ensminger is the brains behind that operation, not Brady; only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this.

Ensminger was there in 2018 when the offense was nothing special.

Ensmminger is still there while Brady got a job in the NFL.

Only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ensminger was there in 2018 when the offense was nothing special.

Ensmminger is still there while Brady got a job in the NFL.

Only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this.

See, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, because you admittedly don't know a lot about LSU football, but of course, you have to add snark (and you didn't even do that properly). Typical.

[Image: OsohWw8.png]

Top is 2019, next is 2018, then 2017.

Notice the trend of rushing going down (which was LSU's offense's bread and butter since the Saban days) and passing going up, both in attempts and yards. Rushing was less efficient in '18 than '17, but that's due to a shift in styles and less talent at RB (Brosette is not Guice/Williams). The wheels were already in motion, transitioning from a run-first team to a balanced/pass-first team and '19 and Brady was the final piece that brought everything together; he wasn't the reason why things improved, he was a piece, just like the players and the rest of the coaching staff.

I wrote, "only people who don't watch LSU aren't aware of this," with absolute truth and no, "holier than thou," attitude or smart-ass-ness or anything; unless you watched the team, you don't know the evolution of this offense and this is an absolute fact and you're proof of that.

Ensminger (spell it right FFS) stuck around because he's an older man, his daughter-in-law died tragically during the season and he's a proud LSU alumn, who was born and raised in Louisiana; he's going nowhere, unless he gets a HC gig in college.

Brady is my age (31), from Florida (which is closer to NC than LA), doesn't have roots or a background with LSU and joined a college lifer in the NFL; his step up makes much more sense.

I will never argue with you when it comes to law or Tennessee football, but Jesus Christ, stop picking hills to die on and just move on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In the two seasons you just mentioned the Buckeyes were ranked 4th nationally... both times. They went a combined 23-3 including winning both of the Fiesta Bowls they played in.

Being on a stacked team absolutely guarantees something.

Fiesta Bowls are nice. National championships and record setting seasons are much nicer.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: See, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, because you admittedly don't know a lot about LSU football, but of course, you have to add snark (and you didn't even do that properly). Typical.

I am not an LSU fan, but I am a big SEC fan so I know a good bit about LSU.  I was not familiar with the exact numbers, but i know that for years LSU was mainly a run first offense.  They did start throwing more in 2018 when Ensminger arrived, but they were not that good.  They only had 17 passing tds in 2018. And according to the stats you posted their total offense numbers actually dropped in yards per game from 2017 to 2018. 

But when Brady showed up in 2019 their QB had one of the greatest seasons in college football history.  And I have a strong feeling they are going to drop back down to about the 2018 level next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 12:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not an LSU fan, but I am a big SEC fan so I know a good bit about LSU.  I was not familiar with the exact numbers, but i know that for years LSU was mainly a run first offense.  They did start throwing more in 2018 when Ensminger arrived, but they were not that good.  They only had 17 passing tds in 2018. And according to the stats you posted their total offense numbers actually dropped in yards per game from 2017 to 2018. 

But when Brady showed up in 2019 their QB had one of the greatest seasons in college football history.  And I have a strong feeling they are going to drop back down to about the 2018 level next year.

I wonder what else might contribute to that...

Reply/Quote