Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Net Neutrality Officially Ended
The FCC officially ended their Net Neutrality rules today.

However, over 29 individual state legislatures are taking action to retain net neutrality laws in their states. Here is an article:

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/these-states-are-fighting-for-net-neutrality-is-yours-one-of-them

[Image: 20180412_whoknows.png]

Hmm. Sort of looks like a map of the states with the lowest education scores.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-11-2018, 05:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The FCC officially ended their Net Neutrality rules today.

However, over 29 individual state legislatures are taking action to retain net neutrality laws in their states. Here is an article:

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/these-states-are-fighting-for-net-neutrality-is-yours-one-of-them

[Image: 20180412_whoknows.png]

Hmm. Sort of looks like a map of the states with the lowest education scores.
Guess I don't see the correlation with education scores; as the bottom 10 in the Nation seem fairly split:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

West Virginia- Gray
South Carolina- Green
Oklahoma- Gray
California- Green
Louisiana- Gray
Alaska- Green
Mississippi- Gray
Arizona- Gray
Nevada- Gray
New Mexico- Green

Of course I have no way of verifying this as with the net neutrality expiration I am on dial up and someone else is tying up the line. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I personally know two of the sponsors for Maryland's bill. Great guys. Unfortunately it died in the state senate after passing the house. I know they'll look to reintroduce it next session with more support.

Hopefully we'll kick our governor out and put someone better in in November to help when it comes to signing it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-11-2018, 05:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Hmm. Sort of looks like a map of the states with the lowest education scores.

Two grey states in the top ten.  Six in the bottom ten.
(06-11-2018, 10:47 PM)Dill Wrote: Two grey states in the top ten.  Six in the bottom ten.

It has already been shown that there is an equal distribution of gray/green in the bottom 10, not sure why you felt the need to reiterate it.

Is it some failed attempt to show "smart folks" are against repealing net neutrality? 

It expired today and I'm still typing on my computer and I assume you are reading it with absolutely no difference.

But to help you out………….WOLF!!!!

(06-11-2018, 11:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It has already been shown that there is an equal distribution of gray/green in the bottom 10, not sure why you felt the need to reiterate it.

Is it some failed attempt to show "smart folks" are against repealing net neutrality? 

It expired today and I'm still typing on my computer and I assume you are reading it with absolutely no difference.

Why would you judge education by the lowest scores first?

As to the OP, state laws are probably the best way to go here. Eventually it will get to them scotus and hopefully by then it won’t be a partisan one. Which means internet — originally developed by the government as a way to communicate information — will likely end up a utility instead of a way to prop up telecom companies.
(06-11-2018, 11:44 PM)Benton Wrote: Why would you judge education by the lowest scores first?

As to the OP, state laws are probably the best way to go here. Eventually it will get to them scotus and hopefully by then it won’t be a partisan one. Which means internet — originally developed by the government as a way to communicate information — will likely end up a utility instead of a way to prop up telecom companies.

I didn't judge education by the lowest scores first, the OP did; just responded to the assertion. 

Not sure why you asked me about it...………….

OK, yes I do. 

Well at least its temporary. Once the next Dem or moderate Republican takes office hopefully in 2 and half years it will be back. And more so hopefully it will be a law passed thru congress.

So I am not too worried about it, as I dont think the big ISPs like Comcast, Spectrum, Google, etc will throttle a website's speed by then. Which is what net neutrality prevented. Not the user's speeds as they already have speed tiers out there. But websites like Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, and the countless others.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-11-2018, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't judge education by the lowest scores first, the OP did; just responded to the assertion. 

Not sure why you asked me about it...………….

OK, yes I do. 

Do what? Judge education by the lowest scores first?
The reason Net Neutrality is a big deal is actually because of the fall of home telephone and cable. Many of the big ISPs are players in these markets as well, but the death of the home phone as well as cord cutting has them searching for new ways to make up the revenue. The idea is eventually cable as we know it will be gone in favor of these A la cart streaming services and this has ISP's scared as they only get the internet piece and costs on that are coming down as bandwidth goes up.

I think the biggest saving grace may be the improving cellular infrastructure. I can see a time in the near future when your cellphone is your home internet and you simply carry it everywhere you go. With the improving speeds and expanding bandwidth of cellular, I could see within 5 years it being common to pay a cell provider $30 a month for unthrottled 100-200 MB/s down internet that can be tethered to anything at anytime with no data caps. While their aren't a ton of cell providers, it could offer enough competition in areas where home ISPs are limited to keep everyone honest.
Average grade of non Net Neutrality states: 67.2
US average: 74.5

6 of the 13 non net neutrality states fall in the bottom 10 for education.
9 of the 13 non net neutrality states fall in the bottom 25 for education.

Top 10 are 80% likely to preserve net neutrality, bottom 10 are only 40% likely to.

Correlation clearly established. Of course, that's not to say that there's causation.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-12-2018, 09:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Average grade of non Net Neutrality states: 67.2
US average: 74.5

6 of the 13 non net neutrality states fall in the bottom 10 for education.
9 of the 13 non net neutrality states fall in the bottom 25 for education.

Top 10 are 80% likely to preserve net neutrality, bottom 10 are only 40% likely to.

Correlation clearly established. Of course, that's not to say that there's causation.

Eh.... I was never very good at that causation thing.
(06-12-2018, 12:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Eh.... I was never very good at that causation thing.

Isn't that what you do to make a horse a Gelding?

BTW, Benton want's to know why your focused on the low scores in the OP, but asked me by mistake. Just trying to help out.

(06-12-2018, 08:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: The reason Net Neutrality is a big deal is actually because of the fall of home telephone and cable. Many of the big ISPs are players in these markets as well, but the death of the home phone as well as cord cutting has them searching for new ways to make up the revenue. The idea is eventually cable as we know it will be gone in favor of these A la cart streaming services and this has ISP's scared as they only get the internet piece and costs on that are coming down as bandwidth goes up.

I think the biggest saving grace may be the improving cellular infrastructure. I can see a time in the near future when your cellphone is your home internet and you simply carry it everywhere you go. With the improving speeds and expanding bandwidth of cellular, I could see within 5 years it being common to pay a cell provider $30 a month for unthrottled 100-200 MB/s down internet that can be tethered to anything at anytime with no data caps. While their aren't a ton of cell providers, it could offer enough competition in areas where home ISPs are limited to keep everyone honest.

So your saying the free market will correct itself? Huh. Who would've thought? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-12-2018, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: BTW, Benton want's to know why your focused on the low scores in the OP, but asked me by mistake. Just trying to help out.

Comments by Bengalzona in thread about low test scores: 1

Comments by bfine32 in thread about low test scores: 3

Looks like you are much more focused than I am, bro. ThumbsUp
(06-11-2018, 11:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It has already been shown that there is an equal distribution of gray/green in the bottom 10, not sure why you felt the need to reiterate it.

Nothing has happened yet.  LOL Got me there.  World didn't end. That's how we judge policy.

A 6-4 ratio is not "equal"; nor is an 8-2 ratio.

If this were an attempt to show "smart folks" are against repeal, nothing in these ratios "fails."

I am a little disappointed, though, that you imagine me making "smart folks" arguments based on very general rankings about education.
Plenty of smart folks know that repeal means profit for their companies.
(06-12-2018, 05:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Comments by Bengalzona in thread about low test scores: 1

Comments by bfine32 in thread about low test scores: 3

Looks like you are much more focused than I am, bro. ThumbsUp
Yeah, it's because they keep quoting me; I'm just being cordial 

(06-12-2018, 05:33 PM)Dill Wrote: Nothing has happened yet.  LOL Got me there.  World didn't end. That's how we judge policy.

If this were an attempt to show "smart folks" are against repeal, nothing in these ratios "fails."

I am a little disappointed, though, that you imagine me making "smart folks" arguments based on very general rankings about education.

No more comments from me about the ratio in bottom 10 or the general rankings as I am too focused on it.

And yes we judge policy by effect. Well we should anyway, but it seems the new norm is to judge policy by who implemented it.

(06-12-2018, 05:33 PM)Dill Wrote: Nothing has happened yet.  LOL Got me there.  World didn't end. That's how we judge policy.

No more comments from me about the ratio in bottom 10 or the general rankings as I am too focused on it.

And yes we judge policy by effect. 

(06-12-2018, 06:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, it's because they keep quoting me; I'm just being cordial 

This is true. IMO, you may be the most polite poster on the board.

ThumbsUp