Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networks Could Be Killing Cable TV
With more and more local stations popping up it is possible to get 25 to 50 channels of free TV. THese digital antenna things do indeed work and bring in a picture as good as cable or dish.....Cable had it's high times and got cocky, even trying to push CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX around. These big networks are pushing back with more local stations offering more free TV stations. ...The 8 tracks and VCR's had their day, and it could be cable tv and the Turner Channels have had their best days. ...Digital antennas and new tech computer TV's could put them out of business. ...THe TV commercials are correct, why pay 1,000 to 2,000 a year for cable when you can get most of these channels for free just by buying a simple device to pick up all the new channels of CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX and PBS. Companies such as Time Warner may be like Blockbuster Video stores, their best days behind them due to new tech phasing them out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Cable companies already have their infrastructure. They won't die, but their business model will change. In a couple years you'll have ala carte selection instead of all the bundled packages, along with more on demand viewing options. My cable company keeps a couple dozen free movies on their on demand service, along with free current and past shows.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just got off the phone canceling my Uverse TV. I got a digital antenna and signed up for SlingTV. Combine that with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu and I think I'll be good to go (along with saving about $80 a month)
Reply/Quote
You can't get all the channels from just an antenna.

I predict that TV and internet will merge into one service soon. But no way cable will be replaced by just what you can get with an antenna.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 01:26 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I just got off the phone canceling my Uverse TV. I got a digital antenna and signed up for SlingTV. Combing that with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu and I think I'll be good to go (along with saving about $80 a month)
This is the way to go.  Sling is $20 a month, while Netflix and Hulu are $8 a piece.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You can't get sports channels with one of those antennas, can you?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:01 PM)McC Wrote: You can't get sports channels with one of those antennas, can you?

Not around here, but Sling TV has them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Haven't paid for a TV service in over 5 years and have been going the antenna route. The amount of channels we've received has really picked up (I get Dayton's broadcast.) over the last year and a half. Probably 5-7 channels added to what we already had. None of them are showing new TV shows just movie and classic TV show channels.

It's not too bad the only time I miss cable is when the Bengals play MNF.
Reply/Quote
I stick with Time Warner more because of RR than anything else. Was looking into Cincinnati Bell Fioptics but several people told me they didn't like the customer service or the internet speed.

As to the OP, cable companies, especially Time Warner, seem too big to die.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:11 AM)kevin Wrote: With more and more local stations popping up it is possible to get 25 to 50 channels of free TV. THese digital antenna things do indeed work and bring in a picture as good as cable or dish.....Cable had it's high times and got cocky, even trying to push CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX around. These big networks are pushing back with more local stations offering more free TV stations. ...The 8 tracks and VCR's had their day, and it could be cable tv and the Turner Channels have had their best days. ...Digital antennas and new tech computer TV's could put them out of business. ...THe TV commercials are correct, why pay 1,000 to 2,000 a year for cable when you can get most of these channels for free just by buying a simple device to pick up all the new channels of CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX and PBS. Companies such as Time Warner may be like Blockbuster Video stores, their best days behind them due to new tech phasing them out.

CABLE TV needs to die already.

1000 channels filled with wall to wall shit i wouldnt let my dog watch
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:20 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Haven't paid for a TV service in over 5 years and have been going the antenna route. The amount of channels we've received has really picked up (I get Dayton's broadcast.) over the last year and a half. Probably 5-7 channels added to what we already had. None of them are showing new TV shows just movie and classic TV show channels.

It's not too bad the only time I miss cable is when the Bengals play MNF.

I unplugged directv years ago.  

I have kodi and I use an Asus chromebox to watch it.   Get all channels free.    Unlimited On demand shows and movies through Genesis.    kids even watch some cartoons in Russian.    Any sports I want to watch via sportsdevil.     Ironically I also get Dayton local stations with  streamlive.  

My only cost was for the chromebox.   I could have easily used any old laptop I had sitting around as well.

Why anyone pays for programming these days is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 07:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I unplugged directv years ago.  

I have kodi and I use an Asus chromebox to watch it.   Get all channels free.    Unlimited On demand shows and movies through Genesis.    kids even watch some cartoons in Russian.    Any sports I want to watch via sportsdevil.     Ironically I also get Dayton local stations with  streamlive.  

My only cost was for the chromebox.   I could have easily used any old laptop I had sitting around as well.

Why anyone pays for programming these days is beyond me.

Who do you use for your internet?  Assuming you're not on a 'capped' plan, but they are being released all over the country.

This was one of the biggest reasons I was opposed to the comcast / nbc merger.  As nbc programing distribution becomes more limited, they're changing their model to compensate by screwing cord-cutters.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 08:04 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Who do you use for your internet?  Assuming you're not on a 'capped' plan, but they are being released all over the country.

This was one of the biggest reasons I was opposed to the comcast / nbc merger.  As nbc programing distribution becomes more limited, they're changing their model to compensate by screwing cord-cutters.

Comcast is my provider.

This is why i was against the Gov regulating the Internet. Not everything deserves the same speed.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:21 PM)jason Wrote: This is the way to go.  Sling is $20 a month, while Netflix and Hulu are $8 a piece.

Still gotta pay for an internet connection thru the cable company
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:11 AM)kevin Wrote: With more and more local stations popping up it is possible to get 25 to 50 channels of free TV.  THese digital antenna things do indeed work and bring in a picture as good as cable or dish.....Cable had it's high times and got cocky, even trying to push CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX around.  These big networks are pushing back with more local stations offering more free TV stations. ...The 8 tracks and VCR's had their day, and it could be cable tv and the Turner Channels have had their best days. ...Digital antennas and new tech computer TV's could put them out of business. ...THe TV commercials are correct, why pay 1,000 to 2,000 a year for cable when you can get most of these channels for free just by buying a simple device to pick up all the new channels of CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX and PBS.  Companies such as Time Warner may be like Blockbuster Video stores, their best days behind them due to new tech phasing them out.

OTA signal is noticeably clearer than cable or satellite.

With that said...i'm not giving up my DirecTV. :)

But i do have a USB tuner in my PC so i get the best of both worlds.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:24 PM)McC Wrote: I stick with Time Warner more because of RR than anything else.  Was looking into Cincinnati Bell Fioptics but several people told me they didn't like the customer service or the internet speed.

As to the OP, cable companies, especially Time Warner, seem too big to die.

Im sticking to TWC & RR too. Heard too many complaints on the fioptic stuff. It does suck that unlike Columbus and other markets there arent other cable companies around like WoW though to choose from.

But overall Im good with TW unlike in years past, but I also make the most of it too. Never ever have internet outages nor technical issues outside of exchanging the box and remotes if they go bad, but its free so big whoop. But for me I get the most out of the apps like the TWC app which has every channel on any device anywhere in the home. Xbox One's version of it is sweet these days, almost better than using the box. And most tv station apps  you get access to, though a few like NBC sports still doesnt let time warner customers use it grrr. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
My cable is included in rent so I just stick with that, though when I buy a home I'm going digital antenna. My parents still have a cable subscription so I use their login information for anything that requires it Xfinity/Comcast wise online and I have a student Amazon Prime subscription and use Netflix.

My wife is pissed at Comcast though, for moving Spike to the next tier of sable service. She loves some Lip Sync Battle.
Reply/Quote
I, along with many of my generation, prefer to go alternative routes to viewing tv and movies. I haven't paid for tv ever. I watch everything for free.
Reply/Quote