Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bengal - BJ Finney
BJ Finney is supposed to be the player acquired in the Dunlap trade.
He has played all IOL spots.

His contract with Seattle was through next year.
Remaining cap hit for this year is $1.47 mill.
Cap hit for next year is $3.5 mill with 0 dead cap.

Finney had not taken a snap yet this season for SEA.

His PFF ratings the past few years:
2019 - 56.9 (72.0 pass, 52.1 run) on 325 snaps
2018 - 71.5 (90.4 pass, 55.8 run) on 165 snaps
2017 - 66.4 (89.6 pass, 59.8 run) on 234 snaps
2016 - 72.8 (80.8 pass, 71.6 run) on 301 snaps

So what are the Bengals getting with Finney? Likely a versatile backup IOL who looks to be a good pass blocker but not good run blocker. He's similar to Trey Hopkins in terms of pass block vs run block.

I do not think there's much chance that he unseats any of the current starters, but he might be a better backup option than Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Price played pretty well last week. I'd probably use Finney at guard.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:43 PM)IcoHolic Wrote: Price played pretty well last week. I'd probably use Finney at guard.

Price plays almost as well as Hopkins does at C. Hopkins is a better pass blocker whereas Price is a better run blocker.
Finney definitely should be a better OG than Price.
Don't rule out Price being traded after this weekend, or in the offseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't put a lot of weight on PFF grades.

Finney is just a guy. But we are so thin that we need bodies. I don't expect him to be an answer to any of our problems, but he does fill an immediate need.

Undrafted free agent without any big potential, but this is his fifth season on an active roster, so he has looked better than a bunch of draft picks who have have washed out since 2016.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't put a lot of weight on PFF grades.

Finney is just a guy.  But we are so thin that we need bodies.  I don't expect him to be an answer to any of  our problems, but he does fill an immediate need.

Undrafted free agent without any big potential, but this is his fifth season on an active roster, so he has looked better than a bunch of draft picks who have have washed out since 2016.

Exactly.

No one should expect him to magically emerge as a quality starter.
Bengals need bodies, as you said.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Maybe Zac was just confused when the front office asked if he would take a BJ for Dunlap.

Pervert
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe Zac was just confused when the front office asked if he would take a BJ for Dunlap.

Pervert

Or maybe Mike was confused  Hilarious
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe Zac was just confused when the front office asked if he would take a BJ for Dunlap.

Pervert
"Best offer I have ever been made. Sold!"
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: BJ Finney is supposed to be the player acquired in the Dunlap trade.
He has played all IOL spots.

His contract with Seattle was through next year.
Remaining cap hit for this year is $1.47 mill.
Cap hit for next year is $3.5 mill with 0 dead cap.

Finney had not taken a snap yet this season for SEA.

His PFF ratings the past few years:
2019 - 56.9 (72.0 pass, 52.1 run) on 325 snaps
2018 - 71.5 (90.4 pass, 55.8 run) on 165 snaps
2017 - 66.4 (89.6 pass, 59.8 run) on 234 snaps
2016 - 72.8 (80.8 pass, 71.6 run) on 301 snaps

So what are the Bengals getting with Finney? Likely a versatile backup IOL who looks to be a good pass blocker but not good run blocker. He's similar to Trey Hopkins in terms of pass block vs run block.

I do not think there's much chance that he unseats any of the current starters, but he might be a better backup option than Price.

Finney is at least a decent backup IOL which I like. Spain I have higher hopes for and if XSF comes back we should be 
much better on the inside. Liked what I saw of Price against the Stains for once. Hopefully Jonah and Hart are okay.

Might improve into an okay O-line as the year goes on.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price plays almost as well as Hopkins does at C. Hopkins is a better pass blocker whereas Price is a better run blocker.

Not if Hopkins is still out.

With that being said, everything I read about Finney calls him a center, so somebody has to end up on the outside looking in.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually one of the few people who think this guy is actually somewhat a decent pickup. There's a chance he's a nice addition.

-The Steelers placed a 2nd round tender on him 2019.

-The Seahawks paid him 8 mil for 2 years just this past offseason. For market value context, we paid XSF 10 mil for 3 years.

-We can get out of this deal at any time and owe him asbolutely nothing.

-He's got 13 starts with the Steelers, and he was good enough to stick there for 4 years. (Note: Fred Johnson was not good enough to stick for one.)

-He just turned 29.

Now, I'm not saying he's great or anything. But I think there's pretty decent value there. And we desperately need depth, and experience. I don't know what happened in Seattle, but he was in a brand new system.

Just the fact that the Steelers identified him, and thought enough of him to keep him speaks a little bit to his worth. As does the Seahawks targeted him in free agency. Those are two of the very best run teams in the league. There must be something there. And he's got to better than Fred Johnson, Billy Price and Alex Redmond.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not if Hopkins is still out.

With that being said, everything I read about Finney calls him a center, so somebody has to end up on the outside looking in.

Perhaps not if Hopkins is expected out after the bye, but I think it's still a possibility if Hopkins just misses this game but returns to practice during the bye week.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm actually one of the few people who think this guy is actually somewhat a decent pickup.  There's a chance he's a nice addition.

-The Seahawks paid him 8 mil for 2 years just this past offseason.  For market value context, we paid XSF 10 mil for 3 years.

-He's got 13 starts with the Steelers, and he was good enough to stick there for 4 years.  (Note: Fred Johnson was not good enough to stick for one.)

-He just turned 29.

Now, I'm not saying he's great or anything.  But I think there's pretty decent value there.  And we desperately need depth, and experience.  I don't know what happened in Seattle, but he was in a brand new system.

Just the fact that the Steelers identified him, and thought enough of him to keep him speaks a little bit to his worth.  As does the Seahawks targeted him in free agency.  Those are two of the very best run teams in the league.  There must be something there.  And he's got to better than Fred Johnson, Billy Price and Alex Redmond.

All good points, shows when those types of teams value this guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm actually one of the few people who think this guy is actually somewhat a decent pickup.  There's a chance he's a nice addition.

-The Seahawks paid him 8 mil for 2 years just this past offseason.  For market value context, we paid XSF 10 mil for 3 years.

-He's got 13 starts with the Steelers, and he was good enough to stick there for 4 years.  (Note: Fred Johnson was not good enough to stick for one.)

-He just turned 29.

Now, I'm not saying he's great or anything.  But I think there's pretty decent value there.  And we desperately need depth, and experience.  I don't know what happened in Seattle, but he was in a brand new system.

Just the fact that the Steelers identified him, and thought enough of him to keep him speaks a little bit to his worth.  As does the Seahawks targeted him in free agency.  Those are two of the very best run teams in the league.  There must be something there.  And he's got to better than Fred Johnson, Billy Price and Alex Redmond.

Yea, it's definitely not a bad signing.
I apologize if I made it sound like that by saying he's "just a versatile backup."
I think he is good for what he is. I just don't expect him to ever be a long-term starter or someone with a high ceiling. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
When you have a line full of 'just guys' then adding another to the mix is whatever.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:21 PM)Benton Wrote: When you have a line full of 'just guys' then adding another to the mix is whatever.

Dunlap was worse than "just a guy" this season and we unloaded tons of dough while unloading him...
Reply/Quote
BJ Finney played on two excellent offensive lines in Seattle and Pittsburgh. Maybe he can teach the rest of the line something.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price plays almost as well as Hopkins does at C. Hopkins is a better pass blocker whereas Price is a better run blocker.

Just switch them out based on the play and hope nobody notices. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I doubt he’s a world beater however it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s better than a couple of our guys.
Reply/Quote

-He just turned 29.

Plenty of great points. Also, as of late, the Steelers have put together some very good lines. That falls in line with your 4th point. I am trusting of the Steelers evaluations of him. I don't expect him to be an All-Pro, but he could provide some very valuable depth or even solid spot starting performance. 
Reply/Quote