Poll: What do you think of the new board format?
This poll is closed.
It's great!
5.56%
1 5.56%
I see the potential, but needs some tweaks
16.67%
3 16.67%
Meh, I don't care either way.
5.56%
1 5.56%
I kinda miss the old version, it was just fine.
44.44%
8 44.44%
You monster, how could you?
27.78%
5 27.78%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Board Format?
Is anyone else now having the issue where there is no differentiation between thread titles you have read and those you have not? All of my thread titles are now showing as bold, even after marking the entire forum as read.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 08:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is anyone else now having the issue where there is no differentiation between thread titles you have read and those you have not? All of my thread titles are now showing as bold, even after marking the entire forum as read.

This is exactly what I hunted down this thread to say. Can't tell what I have and haven't read anymore. Read a couple threads thinking there was new stuff, only to see my post was still the last one.

...That and I dislike how thin the text area is. Like 2/3rds of my screen is no longer used to house the posts and such. Now it's just like a strip down the middle of the actual forums, crowded by two enormous grey side panels.
EDIT: Looks like the margins have now been edited. The grey is a bit smaller now and the post area less squished. Thanks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like the updated look, but I dislike the font used when typing your posts in.
Also wish the the skin would be spread out more, seems like all the user info like posts, threads, join date are bunched up on the left when there is plenty of empty room on each side of it. its hard to explain sorry if it doesnt make sense.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Now, the center is too wide, and had to reduce my zoom to 75%, just to be able to see the post button. This makes the font incredibly small, and tough to read.

Edit, seems that reopening browser cleared that up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know I said I liked the new format. But I'm noticing something I missed before. I used to log on and be able to clear the forums (the ones that were bolded). But now when I log in, I really can't tell which threads I've already seen. Is there a way we can bold threads you've not read compared to those you've already seen and are up to date on?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 08:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is anyone else now having the issue where there is no differentiation between thread titles you have read and those you have not? All of my thread titles are now showing as bold, even after marking the entire forum as read.

(05-30-2016, 10:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I know I said I liked the new format.  But I'm noticing something I missed before.  I used to log on and be able to clear the forums (the ones that were bolded).  But now when I log in, I really can't tall which threads I've already seen.  Is there a way we can bold threads you've not read compared to those you've already seen and are up to date on?

I'll get that fixed. 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.

It definitely needs some tweaking, but I think it has potential to be a really nice theme.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 07:58 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Oh dear.  I really liked the old theme - it was modern and clean.

This design seems very fussy and to be honest looks slightly unfinished.  

- The black bands are distracting and pull attention away from the content to parts of the page that should be subtle.
- The seemingly random use of Times New Roman in the upper section of the page looks out of place (at best) and broken (at worst).
- Please fix the 5px of white padding above the poster details column - it looks like a mistake rather than part of the design
- While you are there, do something about the height of the poster details column.  A one line reply from some posters is taking up 524px, which makes it very difficult to follow the flow of the conversation.  As it stands, you can't even fit two posts from you on a standard 1080p screen!  Take a look at the space above and below the avatar, as well as the size of the user rank indicators.
- The drop down you get by clicking on the green arrow by your name is exactly the same colour as the black section headers.  This causes them to merge together oddly.  Consider using a border/drop-shadow to separate the elements
- There's a huge gap between the thread icon and the title of the thread in the standard forum index view. .trow1.forumdisplay_sticky is probably not used in this forum layout, so the column needs deleting
- Check the line-height on the About us box in the footer - the lines are clipping over each other.  15px should be your absolute minimum.
- The gradients on the Post Reply and Preview Post buttons now look out of place against the flat blockiness of the rest of the site
- Definitely consider reducing the standard post text size of 16px to something smaller - 14px makes the lines about the right length for the size of the box whereas 16px means shorter lines that require more effort to read.

I hope that didn't come across as too negative.  I don't hate it, I just wish it was a little bit closer to perfect!

That was just the MyBB default theme, which has been around for years, with colors changed and plugins added.

As for the other suggestions, thanks for the input.

The text at top was actually Georgia, not Times Roman, but I agree, it looked out of place as the board's default text is Tahoma. 

There's still some adjustments to be made and I'll be getting to a number of them over the next couple of days. This layout is Square Theme based, which has quite a few differences.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 10:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'll get that fixed. 

Thanks for the feedback so far.

It definitely needs some tweaking, but I think it has potential to be a really nice theme.

That's the only thing I see as a problem, Otherwise I think it's alright.  But I'm not too picky.

EDIT: Change my vote to I see the potential but it still need some tweaks.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Someone might have mentioned this, but I also don't like how you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to switch pages.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:29 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" are missed.

Truth.

I'm lost !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, the center is too wide, and had to reduce my zoom to 75%, just to be able to see the post button.  This makes the font incredibly small, and tough to read.

Edit, seems that reopening browser cleared that up.

Same here.
I can only see about 80% of the text on 100% zoom.
I normally use 125% zoom to read normally.
I am on 75% zoom and using a magnifying glass to write this.
Gaah
Reply/Quote
Now that people have had a chance to see the theme and give their feedback, it seems that it definitely needs quite a few adjustments.

I think I'll put the old theme back up until I can fix the issues that it seems to have. At least I got a chance to put up so you guys could test it out. If I can get everything working properly in it, I'll bring it back and let you all give it another look.

Thanks for the instant feedback. It helped a lot and is much appreciated.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 12:22 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Now that people have had a chance to see the theme and give their feedback, it seems that it definitely needs quite a few adjustments.

I think I'll put the old theme back up until I can fix the issues that it seems to have. At least I got a chance to put up so you guys could test it out. If I can get everything working properly in it, I'll bring it back and let you all give it another look.

Thanks for the instant feedback. It helped a lot and is much appreciated.  ThumbsUp

All good!  We appreciate the site, so we're not going to complain too much!  

We definitely appreciate you making it the best site it can be!
Reply/Quote
I can't do anything in this new format on my iPad.
I can't switch to "Mobile Version"
I can't get to my "User CP"
The only way I can post is by the "Quick Reply" box
I can't even start a post, lol

Is there a way for me to change it to the old format and everyone else can keep the new if they like it?
Reply/Quote
Sounds like we definitely have some flaws to work out. My suggestion personally would be to have "opt-in" beta testing next time we decide to update the site layout to work out the bugs. We also need to clearly convey the intention to alter the layout to the users so that they're not caught off guard.
Reply/Quote
Don't know what's happened, but on my phone, about a quarter of the right side of the page is chopped off, and there are combo of mobile icons and my avi when viewed on desktop version.....which still won't stay from forum to forum.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
So, got to the computer at work, site looks cool here, totally jacked in the desktop version on the phone.  I'm comfortable on the mobile version, it's just that I can't add rep or use a couple of other features in that format, so I like to be able to use the desktop version from time to time while on the phone.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 12:12 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Same here.
I can only see about 80% of the text on 100% zoom.
I normally use 125% zoom to read normally.
I am on 75% zoom and using a magnifying glass to write this.
Gaah

So I didn't have this issue at home because I use a Surface and so the window was maximized, but at work when I dock the window to the right this happens. Now, I'm docking it on the right half of a 27" monitor set to 2560x1440, so my usual 100% zoom doesn't cause any issues, but here it does. I am also getting it chopped off unless I maximize the window, which I can't do at work. I usually leave the board up in a corner while working on spreadsheets and accounts in PeopleSoft so I can only afford to give it at most one-fourth of my screen space. I can reduce the zoom to 80% and get the whole thing, but that's a bit hard for me to read, not so much for the posts themselves, but when typing out a reply.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Everyone should be back to the regular desktop theme now. If you're still seeing the other one, do a hard refresh (ctrl+f5).
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 10:31 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Everyone should be back to the regular desktop theme now. If you're still seeing the other one, do a hard refresh (ctrl+f5).

The new style was definitely slick. Hope we can get the kinks worked out. Appreciate the continued effort towards improvement of our home holic.
Reply/Quote