Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL Rules BENGALS FANS Need To Know
No more Refs under the hood ....Instant Replay will be decided by NFL Command Center in New York City....So much like baseball, Refs will listen in on a head set to hear what NFL Command Center decides. The Refs on Field have NO VOICE in it...SO, Fans throwing things at Refs on field would be stupid since the Instant Replay is coming from NFL Headquarters. Coaches and Players yelling at Refs over Instant Replay would be Stupid as now in baseball with the call coming from League Headquarters.

Stronger penalties for illegal violent hits NFL is trying to eliminate. Violating player Ejected From Game and Suspended Next Game. NFL Fans will have to get use to it, because NFL Refs intend to enforce this early and often in 2017 to let players know cheap hits will not be tolerated.

NFL Overtime is now 10 Minutes, not 15 Minutes. ...It is still TD wins, but a Field Goal gives other team one chance to score.

NFL is not going to be as hard on scoring celebrations. Unless there is taunting of other team, the NFL has decided scoring celebrations should not be penalties. So look for less and less after score penalty applied to kick off. Look for more End Zone dances and celebrations. NFL tired of being called the NO FUN LEAGUE.

Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty. NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play.

and one I think is huge....Multiple Fouls On Same Play...Sometimes defenses in 2 minute drills have held several receivers taking the 5 yard penalty as time goes off the clock...NO MORE....now it is a 15 yard penalty and play clock goes back to the time before ball was snapped. ....49ers held Drew Brees receivers late in a game...NO MORE....Defenses WILL get hit with 15 yard penalty and QB gets back all of the play clock of the play as clock reset....THIS IS HUGE for GOOD 2 Minute Drill Quarterbacks....Defenses can no longer run out the clock with 5 yard holding penalties. That is over...A good example might be team near end zone throwing for a TD, and before Defense holds pass catchers, 5 yard penalty but time runs out game over....NOT ANY MORE....Now the clock would be reset plus 15 yard penalty or half the distance to goal.....Look for this change to take fans and teams by surprise thinking a game is over and D held, and Refs says Game Is Not Over......So Defenses holding several receivers and only getting a 5 yard penalty and TV Announcers saying that was a SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. Well, IT IS NO LONGER A SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. ...and lets face it, Dalton drops back and some teams hold 2 or more receivers. THAT is now a 15 yard penalty and clock reset, time put back on clock for Dalton. Defenses can no longer hold and hold and hold because it is 15 yards, not 5 yards. plus clock reset.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
All these rules go into effect immediately except for Steelers, Patriots, Panthers and Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:26 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: All these rules go into effect immediately except for Steelers, Patriots, Panthers and Cowboys.

This is so true...Nothing will change the Steelers will still knock out your defenseless receiver and we will still get flag for hit above the numbers in shoulder pad area
Reply/Quote
People already making excuses to lose to Steelers. How Sad.

Seems you guys are only looking at just one of the rule changes....the one about illegal hits get you kicked out of game. Not the second or third illegal hit, but the first illegal hit, no more warnings....There are other rule changes besides this one.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:07 AM)kevin Wrote: Stronger penalties for illegal violent hits NFL is trying to eliminate.  Violating player Ejected From Game and Suspended Next Game.  NFL Fans will have to get use to it, because NFL Refs intend to enforce this early and often in 2017 to let players know cheap hits will not be tolerated.

Unless you are a Pittsburgh Steeler.  Then all violent hits, even ones that leave other players unconscious on the ground, will be legal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 05:38 AM)kevin Wrote: People already making excuses to lose to Steelers.   How Sad.

Seems you guys are only looking at one of the rule changes....the one about illegal hits get you kicked out of game. Not the second or third illegal hit, but the first illegal hit, no more warnings....There are other rule changes besides this one.

I think the problem with these rules are the definition of illegal and violent are still subject to someone's opinion.  We have seen it countless times before where the same hit gets flagged in stripes and not in black and piss yellow.  

That isn't making excuses for losing to those assbags...it is the truth.

This year, when the Bengals sweep them, we can talk about how the Bengals won despite two players being ejected for being mean and trying to hit piggy in his pee-pee.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 06:06 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Unless you are a Pittsburgh Steeler.  Then all violent hits, even ones that leave other players unconscious on the ground, will be legal.

The most hilarious thing to watch is when they finally take a shot on a Patriot and it gets flagged...steeler fans lose their mind because they are able to do it to any other team, but not that one.  
Reply/Quote
The infatuation with the Steelers.... Ugh.....

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:07 AM)kevin Wrote: No more Refs under the hood ....Instant Replay will be decided by NFL Command Center in New York City....So much like baseball, Refs will listen in on a head set to hear what NFL Command Center decides.  The Refs on Field have NO VOICE in it...SO, Fans throwing things at Refs on field would be stupid since the Instant Replay is coming from NFL Headquarters.  Coaches and Players yelling at Refs over Instant Replay would be Stupid as now in baseball with the call coming from League Headquarters.

Stronger penalties for illegal violent hits NFL is trying to eliminate.  Violating player Ejected From Game and Suspended Next Game.  NFL Fans will have to get use to it, because NFL Refs intend to enforce this early and often in 2017 to let players know cheap hits will not be tolerated.

NFL Overtime is now 10 Minutes, not 15 Minutes. ...It is still TD wins, but a Field Goal gives other team one chance to score.

NFL is not going to be as hard on scoring celebrations.  Unless there is taunting of other team, the NFL has decided scoring celebrations should not be penalties.  So look for less and less after score penalty applied to kick off.  Look for more End Zone dances and celebrations. NFL tired of being called the NO FUN LEAGUE.

Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty.  NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play.

and one I think is huge....Multiple Fouls On Same Play...Sometimes defenses in 2 minute drills have held several receivers taking the 5 yard penalty as time goes off the clock...NO MORE....now it is a 15 yard penalty and play clock goes back to the time before ball was snapped. ....49ers held Drew Brees receivers late in a game...NO MORE....Defenses WILL get hit with 15 yard penalty and QB gets back all of the play clock of the play as clock reset....THIS IS HUGE for GOOD 2 Minute Drill Quarterbacks....Defenses can no longer run out the clock with 5 yard holding penalties. That is over...A good example might be team near end zone throwing for a TD, and before Defense holds pass catchers, 5 yard penalty but time runs out game over....NOT ANY MORE....Now the clock would be reset plus 15 yard penalty or half the distance to goal.....Look for this change to take fans and teams by surprise thinking a game is over and D held, and Refs says Game Is Not Over......So Defenses holding several receivers and only getting a 5 yard penalty and TV Announcers saying that was a SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. Well, IT IS NO LONGER A SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. ...and lets face it, Dalton drops back and some teams hold 2 or more receivers.  THAT is now a 15 yard penalty and clock reset, time put back on clock for Dalton.  Defenses can no longer hold and hold and hold because it is 15 yards, not 5 yards. plus clock reset.

The half or game cannot end on a defensive penalty.  It has always been that way.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:51 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The half or game cannot end on a defensive penalty.  It has always been that way.

True, but defenses still used a strategy of committing penalties.The the 49'ers held the Saints last year to drain the clock in the 2 minute drill giving 5 yards for 20 seconds off the clock, that is why the clock resets with the yardage. The rule was also put in place for what the Ravens did to us last year where they all intentionally held to run out the clock then took the safety.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:47 AM)jeremydc Wrote: The infatuation with the Steelers.... Ugh.....

The infatuation with yourself...ugh...
Reply/Quote
Love it. Every single one of those rule changes. Absolutely love it.

And as for all the steeler talk, give it a rest folks. Wait until they actually get away with some of this stuff before complaining about it. I hate them and the media/ref bias as much as any of you but this doesn't seem like the time or the thread to talk about it.... It just seems like needless whining.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:07 AM)kevin Wrote: Stronger penalties for illegal violent hits NFL is trying to eliminate.  Violating player Ejected From Game and Suspended Next Game.  NFL Fans will have to get use to it, because NFL Refs intend to enforce this early and often in 2017 to let players know cheap hits will not be tolerated.

But only for teams like the Bengals   Steelers will get a pass on all of those dirty hits they deliver.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 06:06 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Unless you are a Pittsburgh Steeler.  Then all violent hits, even ones that leave other players unconscious on the ground, will be legal.

Yup !!

The other thing both Bengal Fans and V. Burfict need to get used to is he will be under the microscope at all times.
Reply/Quote
So Burfict's getting ejected from at least two games this year. Good to know.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Defensive players must tackle with the loving embrace of mother and child.. Failure to change the diaper of offensive player after the tackle will be a 15 yard penalty. 
Ok, I don't think it's gone quite that extreme, but some fans will probably make a similar comparison. 

It really is a damned if you do / damned if you don't thing with player safety. Putting 22 really aggressive, strong, fast young men in what amounts to a phone booth and telling them to behave or else.. Yeah, that's always worked out in the past..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 10:00 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The infatuation with yourself...ugh...

Repped

Reply/Quote
I do think the NFL is biased toward the Steelers, Patriots and Cowgirls. Teams like the Bengals need to get the calls.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 10:09 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Love it. Every single one of those rule changes. Absolutely love it.

And as for all the steeler talk, give it a rest folks. Wait until they actually get away with some of this stuff before complaining about it. I hate them and the media/ref bias as much as any of you but this doesn't seem like the time or the thread to talk about it.... It just seems like needless whining.

Good post worth repeating.....I do not know how much I LOVE the rule changes. ....I do like that you can celebrate after a score without a penalty on kick-off as long a there is no taunting of the other team.  NFL deciding things like The Icky Shuffle are not Illegal Hits, and a victim less penalty that causes no injuries.  NFL trying to shed it's image of NFL standing for NO FUN LEAGUE. 

I'll wait and see on Instant Replay out of New York.  This was done in 1980's and it seemed the Las Vegas Odds on favorites always got the New York replay call.  The NFL stopped the 1980's Replay experiment.  I thought field refs were doing a much better job than New York Headquarters in 1980's. ...but if gambling isn't involved and New York has no team favorites, it could be a good thing.   Getting away from players, coaches and fans out of control such as Pittsburg at Cincinnati UGLY 2015 season play-off game.  Who knows, NFL Headquarters might have also called Steelers for the coach on the field because he was fined by NFL after the game.  That would have been off setting penalties and a 50 +yard field goal, not 30 +yard field goal. IF DONE RIGHT, the Instant Replay done by League Headquarters may end the on field nonsense since the Refs on the field have no say in the Instant Replay. 

I have seen AJ Green and other Bengals receivers held on same play, often in the play-offs.  If the defense thought a 15 yard penalty PLUS time reset to give Dalton more time, I think defenses would cut back on all the holding they try to get by with. In the Houston Games announcers said Bengals WR's were getting no separation, but several plays I saw several guys holding AJ Green as ball came his way. It's hard to get separation while being held. Hopefully this will make Defenses cut back on all the holding that they have done much of the time. ...5 yards for holding 2 or more receivers was nothing to Defenses. ...15 yards plus play clock reset is HUGE to Defenses......I'm hoping all the rules do end up great rule changes.  ......The worst was Bengals in 73 Play-offs and Miami tackled Issac Curtis every time ball was snapped. NFL put in a rule next year saying you can't do that. It is time for this rule so NFL Coaches can't have entire team defense holding and only a 5 yard penalty. 15 Yards is a real kick in the pants to NFL Coaches who have been abusing team holding of multiple receivers. So if Green and Eifert both held, announcers won't say 5 yard penalty but 4th down, Bengals have to punt. 15 yards and clock reset really changes that. This completely changes 3rd and long because defenses can't just hold, hold, hold and get by with it.

Love Them or Hate Them....These are the Rule Changes .....The Refs are going to be calling these rules early and often to let players and coaches know there are changes....I even like cutting overtime from 15 to 10 minutes.  It's better for players.  It will be quicker and more exciting for fans. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I like all the rule changes this year, with perhaps the exception of shortening the OT quarter.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote