Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New QB salary bar set
Patrick Mahomes will be receiving a new contract according to Schefter. 10 years and over $400,000,000.

That is crazy and scary to think about if Joe Burrow turns out to be as good as we hope he will be. But give credit to KC for going all in for the long haul.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
To be somewhat exact it's 10 years $400 million+ total. No doubt he's worth it but they better pray he doesn't get hurt.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29418825/sources-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-agree-10-year-extension
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 05:20 PM)pally Wrote: Patrick Mahomes will be receiving a new contract according to Schefter. 10 years and over $400,000,000.

That is crazy and scary to think about if Joe Burrow turns out to be as good as we hope he will be. But give credit to KC for going all in for the long haul.

If Joe turns out as good as Mahommes ya pay him lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 05:20 PM)pally Wrote: Patrick Mahomes will be receiving a new contract according to Schefter.  10 years and over $400,000,000.  

That is crazy and scary to think about if Joe Burrow turns out to be as good as we hope he will be.  But give credit to KC for going all in for the long haul.

It's only scary if the salary cap doesn't continue to rise.  If it does, then you're looking at pretty similar %'s of the cap for an elite QB in the later years of that deal.
Reply/Quote
The QB deals are getting absolutely insane. It's getting to the point where I'm not sure I'd even want some of these guys past their rookie deals.

Dak Prescott actually turning down a 34 mil per deal is a perfect example of this. The contract given to Ryan Tannenhill is another blantant example of over-valuing these guys. There is no way I'm paying someone like Prescott that amount of money. And thre crazy part is, he didn't even take it. He wants more. They'd be better served just investing heavily in the draft at the QB position, and pairing those guys with low risk/high reward veterans (See Cam Newton, Jaemis Winston, Andy Dalton).

Obviously Mahomes is a notch or two (or three, or four) above Prescott. But I'm still not sold on these contracts we're seeing. Mahomes will now account for over 20% (Yearly average estimate) of their salary cap. One single player accounting for that high of a percentage when you have 52 other guys to pay, that count towards the cap, really limits some of the moves you can make elsewhere.

I'm assuming this deal will hold more than 100 million in guarantees. If this guy gets hurt then this franchise will be hindered with dead weight for years. And fwiw, he did miss time last season. And his numbers, even when healthy, came back down to reality. Not too mention, Mahomes is one of the most athletic QB's in the league. So what happens when you're in years 6-10 of this deal, he's then 30+ years old, and he's not as athletic as he once was?

I stop the rambling here. I get the move. They had to make it. And he deserves to paid like that when you see the deals being handed out. But I just think this league needs to pull back a bit on the spending on the position. A 30 mil per cap seems more than fair IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply/Quote
Having the best QB in the league, and being forced to back the Brinks truck up to his house because he already won a Super Bowl and an MVP sounds like a good problem to have. Sign me up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
10yr contract? WTH? One hit is all it takes. How much guaranteed?

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 05:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Having the best QB in the league, and being forced to back the Brinks truck up to his house because he already won a Super Bowl and an MVP sounds like a good problem to have. Sign me up.

Agreed.  If Burrow is the SB MVP in year 3 I say sign ownership of the franchise over to him. 
Reply/Quote
I hope they know something we don't because the cap is going to fall not rise in the short term courtesy of COVID. Yes it will rebound but attendance will contract big time and I think the TV revenue is fixed not indexed on ratings (which again may fall).
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 06:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: I hope they know something we don't because the cap is going to fall not rise in the short term courtesy of COVID. Yes it will rebound but attendance will contract big time and I think the TV revenue is fixed not indexed on ratings (which again may fall).

It's not as if the contract was finalized prior to the pandemic and is just now being announced.  I'm sure there is language to intended to deal with any implications related to growth of the cap.  For example, there could be a clause which calls next year's salary a bonus if the salary cap does not exceed that of 2020, which means that the cap hit would get spread out over the remaining 8 years instead of only in 2021.
Reply/Quote
I am skeptical about having that much of a cap dedicated to one player, but since Mahomes is Mahomes he should be fine barring injury I guess, good QB play is hard to come by.

And yeah, if Burrow is an MVP and Super Bowl champ pay him like one but knowing the injury history of this team, it would be unwise for a lot to be guaranteed.

And… giving monster contracts to QBs usually shuts championship windows, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, it has been a while. Considering they all got a ring already simply staying competitive should be fine. Just something to consider.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 07:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's not as if the contract was finalized prior to the pandemic and is just now being announced.  I'm sure there is language to intended to deal with any implications related to growth of the cap.  For example, there could be a clause which calls next year's salary a bonus if the salary cap does not exceed that of 2020, which means that the cap hit would get spread out over the remaining 8 years instead of only in 2021.

They are predicting the Salary Cap could reduce 30% to 80%.  That means instead of 200mil cap it could be 150mil.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mahomes is bringing more than his pitching background from baseball over to football. :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 07:31 PM)Synric Wrote: They are predicting the Salary Cap could reduce 30% to 80%.  That means instead of 200mil cap it could be 150mil.

If $200M mill reduces by 30-80%, that would leave a range of $40-$140M as the possible cap.  I'd venture to guess, or at least hope that there is language in these contracts that protects in such events as we are currently experiencing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Personally, I would not pay any player about a half billion dollars to play. This is only the beginning of outlandish deals IMO. As a fan, they will pass down the costs to us. Soon there will be $12 beers, $7 hotdogs, etc. You get the picture.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 07:31 PM)Synric Wrote: They are predicting the Salary Cap could reduce 30% to 80%.  That means instead of 200mil cap it could be 150mil.

I doubt that Happens The NFL is about to get a lot richer with new TV Contracts including the Sunday Ticket package. They will make the money up from this.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 08:19 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Personally, I would not pay any player about a half billion dollars to play. This is only the beginning of outlandish deals IMO. As a fan, they will pass down the costs to us. Soon there will be $12 beers, $7 hotdogs, etc. You get the picture.

The majority of the money they make will come from upcoming TV deals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 08:19 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Personally, I would not pay any player about a half billion dollars to play. This is only the beginning of outlandish deals IMO. As a fan, they will pass down the costs to us. Soon there will be $12 beers, $7 hotdogs, etc. You get the picture.

That has literally nothing to do with the NFL player salaries.  Concession prices are set up by the companies which run the concessions.  The teams get a cut of that, but the don't drive the costs.  With that said, they do have the ability to cap the prices as the Falcons did when opening their new stadium.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 08:29 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That has literally nothing to do with the NFL player salaries.  Concession prices are set up by the companies which run the concessions.  The teams get a cut of that, but the don't drive the costs.  With that said, they do have the ability to cap the prices as the Falcons did when opening their new stadium.

Stadium concessions are also a supply and demand thing.  On a football game day you can have like 70,000 people stuffed within a mile radius and if you make hot dogs and beers a dollar each people are going to buy 10 of them and you'll sell out before the anthem hits.

I will say this contract is pretty absurd, but at the same time you have to wonder if the Chicago Bears are relieved that they drafted Trubisky instead of Mahommes now that they see how much an MVP and SB-winning QB would cost them.  Yeah, I doubt it.  I just try to put myself in the shoes of the Chiefs or Chiefs fans.  Let's say Joe Burrow is the 2021 MVP and then he wins the 2022 SB and is the SB MVP.  If he wants half a billion bucks are you going to say "You got it!" or risk watching him sign with the Steelers or Patriots or something.  Oof.

As Billy Joel once sang, you pay for your satisfaction somewhere a long the line.
Reply/Quote