Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Title IX Guidelines
So this is something I have been waiting for because, as some of you may know, I work in higher education and adjudicate cases of sexual misconduct at the university. We've known there were changes coming down the pike, but it is an interesting situation.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/07/education-department-releases-final-title-ix-regulations

Now, for the most part, the university at which I work is already following a lot of these guidelines. One thing, though, is that under these new guidelines we must allow the advisers of the students (we call these support persons) to cross-examine the other party and witnesses. We actually don't allow our support persons to take part in the board process. They can be present, they can pass notes, ask for breaks, etc., but in these cases it is typically a lawyer and this isn't a courtroom. Forcing students to be subjected to the kind of courtroom questioning lawyers would do is going to dissuade victims from reporting incidents. This is highly unfortunate. We allow cross examinations, already, but forcing it to be the lawyers is going to be rough.

The new rules also remove the mandatory reporter status we see on campus. https://sports.yahoo.com/new-title-ix-regulations-no-longer-require-coaches-to-report-sexual-misconduct-150637906.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

This is a rule that has resulted in many cases being brought to light and has landed many in hot water for hiding incidents of sexual misconduct. I truly don't understand this one, at all.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-08-2020, 07:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So this is something I have been waiting for because, as some of you may know, I work in higher education and adjudicate cases of sexual misconduct at the university. We've known there were changes coming down the pike, but it is an interesting situation.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/07/education-department-releases-final-title-ix-regulations

Now, for the most part, the university at which I work is already following a lot of these guidelines. One thing, though, is that under these new guidelines we must allow the advisers of the students (we call these support persons) to cross-examine the other party and witnesses. We actually don't allow our support persons to take part in the board process. They can be present, they can pass notes, ask for breaks, etc., but in these cases it is typically a lawyer and this isn't a courtroom. Forcing students to be subjected to the kind of courtroom questioning lawyers would do is going to dissuade victims from reporting incidents. This is highly unfortunate. We allow cross examinations, already, but forcing it to be the lawyers is going to be rough.

The new rules also remove the mandatory reporter status we see on campus. https://sports.yahoo.com/new-title-ix-regulations-no-longer-require-coaches-to-report-sexual-misconduct-150637906.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

This is a rule that has resulted in many cases being brought to light and has landed many in hot water for hiding incidents of sexual misconduct. I truly don't understand this one, at all.

It's DeVoss.  She's clueless and only in the position to allow people to do whatever they want.

This entire administration is made up of people who don't care about anyone but themselves and for the most part that is rich white people...preferably men.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-08-2020, 07:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is a rule that has resulted in many cases being brought to light and has landed many in hot water for hiding incidents of sexual misconduct. I truly don't understand this one, at all.

The right would like to keep moving it to a for profit education system. Pros and cons of that aside, it makes business sense. If you've got a good employee who keeps cost down, profits up, it's hard to turn a blind eye when legally you'd have to fire the guy for alleged impropriety.

Money's money and it's harder to make the more laws you have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]