Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New backup QB
Brandon Allen is as mediocre as it gets for a backup. There are some really good options with tons of starting and even playoff experience available.

1. Andy Dalton: 7-8 since he left - 3685 yards - 22 TDs - 17 INTs - 83.0 rating

With it being such a weak year in free agency and the draft, Andy may decide to keep pursuing a starting gig. If he's ready to hold a clipboard, he's probably the top backup option in the league. If Burrow missed any playoff games, it'd be interesting to see what Andy could do with these weapons and Zac Taylor.

2. Jacoby Brissett: 14-23 record - 36 TDs to only 17 INTs - 83.0 rating

Another guy who is on the border between starter and top backup. Only 29 years old and would be nice to have around for several years.

3. Joe Flacco: 2-11 since he left Baltimore - 3024 yards, 15 TDs - 8 INTs - 86.4 rating

His name will make people scoff, but he's performed decently for some bad teams. He's no longer a starter, but he's a top shelf backup for sure.

4. Teddy Bridgewater: 16-19 since he left Minnesota - 43 TDs to 21 INTs - 93.9 rating

He'll probably be a bridge QB for somebody again, but if you can land him as a backup, you're in great shape.

5. Tyrod Taylor: 4-5-1 since leaving Buffalo - 1680 yards - 8 TDs - 7 INTs - 74.0 rating

Dual threat QB who is just good enough to win you some games.

6. Marcus Mariota: 2-4 over last 3 years - 1433 yards - 8 TDs - 3 INTs - 90.5 rating

Hasn't played much since losing the gig in Tennessee, but he's still regarded as a very good backup option with some running capability.

7. Blaine Gabbert: 8-13 since leaving Jacksonville - 4916 yards - 28 TDs - 23 INTs - 78.6 rating

He's surprisingly carved out a pretty long career as a solid backup.

8. Trevor Siemian: 13-16 record - 6843 yards - 41 TDs - 27 INT - 81.2 record

Trevor is another guy who wasn't the best starter but is actually an excellent backup option. Has played decently enough in both Denver and New Orleans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't want Andy - nothing personal but I really want nothing to do with the previous regime.

Any of the others besides Flacco I'd take.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Of the group listed? Give me Joe Flacco. With his deep ball skills, and the receiving crew we have, he would be a nice short-term answer at QB2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike White NYJ
Brian Hoyer NE
Bailey Zappe Cool
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brandon Allen is as mediocre as it gets for a backup. There are some really good options with tons of starting and even playoff experience available.

1. Andy Dalton: 7-8 since he left - 3685 yards - 22 TDs - 17 INTs - 83.0 rating

With it being such a weak year in free agency and the draft, Andy may decide to keep pursuing a starting gig. If he's ready to hold a clipboard, he's probably the top backup option in the league. If Burrow missed any playoff games, it'd be interesting to see what Andy could do with these weapons and Zac Taylor.

2. Jacoby Brissett: 14-23 record - 36 TDs to only 17 INTs - 83.0 rating

Another guy who is on the border between starter and top backup. Only 29 years old and would be nice to have around for several years.

3. Joe Flacco: 2-11 since he left Baltimore - 3024 yards, 15 TDs - 8 INTs - 86.4 rating

His name will make people scoff, but he's performed decently for some bad teams. He's no longer a starter, but he's a top shelf backup for sure.

4. Teddy Bridgewater: 16-19 since he left Minnesota - 43 TDs to 21 INTs - 93.9 rating

He'll probably be a bridge QB for somebody again, but if you can land him as a backup, you're in great shape.

5. Tyrod Taylor: 4-5-1 since leaving Buffalo - 1680 yards - 8 TDs - 7 INTs - 74.0 rating

Dual threat QB who is just good enough to win you some games.

6. Marcus Mariota: 2-4 over last 3 years - 1433 yards - 8 TDs - 3 INTs - 90.5 rating

Hasn't played much since losing the gig in Tennessee, but he's still regarded as a very good backup option with some running capability.

7. Blaine Gabbert: 8-13 since leaving Jacksonville - 4916 yards - 28 TDs - 23 INTs - 78.6 rating

He's surprisingly carved out a pretty long career as a solid backup.

Add Trevor Siemian to the list if you're going to include guys like Tyrod Taylor, Blaine Gabbert, and Dalton.

Siemian - 4 starts in New Orleans this past year. 1154 yards - 11 TDs - 3 INTs - 88.4 rating
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:57 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Wouldn't want Andy - nothing personal but I really want nothing to do with the previous regime.

Any of the others besides Flacco I'd take.

So no Whitworth either ?? if he decided to play a year for Cincy ?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Add Trevor Siemian to the list if you're going to include guys like Tyrod Taylor, Blaine Gabbert, and Dalton.

Siemian - 4 starts in New Orleans this past year. 1154 yards - 11 TDs - 3 INTs - 88.4 rating

Added.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So no Whitworth either ?? if he decided to play a year for Cincy ?

That's different.  Whitworth would also start.

I don't think the ex-leader of our locker room should be around this team. No matter how great of a guy he is.  This is again just my personal opinion but I wouldn't want my ex gf hanging around me and my new relationship. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 07:00 PM)QueenCity Wrote: That's different.  Whitworth would also start.

I don't think the ex-leader of our locker room should be around this team. No matter how great of a guy he is.  This is again just my personal opinion but I wouldn't want my ex gf hanging around me and my new relationship. 

But again Whitworth was a leader roo, really not following logic outside of one starting and one not, I was connecting to previous regime remark. In end they are goi g to look on the cheap anyone and put more $$ to other positions if they move from Allen I believe
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: But again Whitworth was a leader roo, really not following logic outside of one starting and one not, I was connecting to previous regime remark. In end they are goi g to look on the cheap anyone and put more $$ to other positions if they move from Allen I believe

I think this is just a misunderstanding and perhaps my previous regime comment was too all or nothing.

To clarify I do not want our ex QB on the roster. As well as a few sour apples that still play in the lg under new teams.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:53 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I think this is just a misunderstanding and perhaps my previous regime comment was too all or nothing.

To clarify I do not want our ex QB on the roster. As well as a few sour apples that still play in the lg under new teams.

Ok well i am fine on Dalton since  he is one of the most professional players we have had and would be a solid backup plus he showed great class especially after bad handling by Taylor as a rookie coach, he is not a sour apple for sure.. in the end i still would keep Allen, knows the system cheap and really like Bill Plummer for the Reds back in the day, if Bench goes down .. does it really matter who your backup is,, you are $%%&
Reply/Quote
Colt McCoy would be a decent option provided we get the OL fixed. He doesn't have a great arm, but he's a good game manager who doesn't make a lot of critical mistakes. Basically, the type of guy that can keep us afloat if Burrow went down for a short stretch.
Reply/Quote
2021 salaries...
Dalton: $10m
Brissett: $5m
Flacco: $3.5m
Bridgewater: $4.4m
Taylor: $5.5m
Mariota: $3.5m
Gabbert: $2m
Siemian: $1m

So realistically the backup market is about $3-5m with some outliers either way. Brandon Allen last year was $1.5m

I am sorta fine with just picking up a guy with one of the two 7th round picks they have. He'll make something like $800k and the savings can go towards the OL in FA. If we're being honest, if Burrow goes down the season is almost certainly over anyway regardless of who is the backup, so best to spend that $3m in savings on the OL.

That said I wouldn't hate signing Colt McCoy (who played for $1.2m last year) though, as he's probably worth the $400k more. How crazy is it that the Bengals spent more on Brandon Allen?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2021 salaries...
Dalton: $10m
Brissett: $5m
Flacco: $3.5m
Bridgewater: $4.4m
Taylor: $5.5m
Mariota: $3.5m
Gabbert: $2m
Siemian: $1m

So realistically the backup market is about $3-5m with some outliers either way. Brandon Allen last year was $1.5m

I am sorta fine with just picking up a guy with one of the two 7th round picks they have. He'll make something like $800k and the savings can go towards the OL in FA. If we're being honest, if Burrow goes down the season is almost certainly over anyway regardless of who is the backup, so best to spend that $3m in savings on the OL.

That said I wouldn't hate signing Colt McCoy (who played for $1.2m last year) though, as he's probably worth the $400k more. How crazy is it that the Bengals spent more on Brandon Allen?

Idk. I think a good backup could lead this team to playoff contention. Doubt we'd get far beyond that, though..

That said, not all injuries are season ending. If Burrow missed 5 games and someone like Brissett led us to a 3-2 record, we'd be fine.

If Brandon Allen (or a 7th rounder) is in there, we're probably 0-5 and tanked the season.

I get that we want every penny going towards fixing the line, but I think $3.5 mil on a backup that could keep us a float is a worthy investment, and not all that expensive, tbh.
Reply/Quote
I would definitely like to upgrade over Brandon Allen. Unless we're playing the 2020 Texans, I don't see him leading us to any wins. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 02:24 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Idk. I think a good backup could lead this team to playoff contention. Doubt we'd get far beyond that, though..

That said, not all injuries are season ending. If Burrow missed 5 games and someone like Brissett led us to a 3-2 record, we'd be fine.

If Brandon Allen (or a 7th rounder) is in there, we're probably 0-5 and tanked the season.

I get that we want every penny going towards fixing the line, but I think $3.5 mil on a backup that could keep us a float is a worthy investment, and not all that expensive, tbh.

This is the right view.  3 or so isn't too much to budget and that 5 game span scenario is more than just trying to win a division but possibly just to get in.  Gabbert or Flacco could be reasonable, McCoy is my minimum.  
Reply/Quote
Trade Trae Waynes to the Eagles for Gardner Minshew 1-to-1 Ninja
Reply/Quote
Out of all these guys listed, Mariota intrigues me the most. He’s still young. He’s mobile. He’s played on winning teams.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Of the group listed?  Give me Joe Flacco.  With his deep ball skills, and the receiving crew we have, he would be a nice short-term answer at QB2.

I would find it so strange if somehow Flacco helped us win a Superbowl. He seemed to have that excellent playoffs for his 1 ring, maybe there's some secret he knows that he could impart, but it would be so weird to see him have a Bengals ring and a Ravens ring lol.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 09:13 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would find it so strange if somehow Flacco helped us win a Superbowl. He seemed to have that excellent playoffs for his 1 ring, maybe there's some secret he knows that he could impart, but it would be so weird to see him have a Bengals ring and a Ravens ring lol.

Yes, he has the experience of being on a championship team.  If Joe were to go down, no moment would be too big for Flacco to steer the ship through.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote