Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New brakes on my vehicle
(10-24-2016, 04:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting the backlash of people who think he should know how to work on his car, but I'd bet most people here couldn't work on their own computer (beyond running a virus scan). Not trying to derail things, just an interesting thought especially in the world we live in today.

The difference today is that even the most non-mechanical among us can go on Youtube and find instructional videos about anything. In August, I did just that and replaced the front brake pads, rotors and calipers on my 04 Toyota Tacoma. Took me about 5 hours, but I did it. And cost me about $400 in parts plus my time.
Reply/Quote
Beaker, how much is your time worth?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 03:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Beaker, how much is your time worth?

Little enough to do my own brake job.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 08:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: Little enough to do my own brake job.

I can make more money. I can't make more time. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 02:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I can make more money. I can't make more time. 

Or you can use what time you have to learn something new....and useful for your future. You can bet it won't take as long next time.
Reply/Quote
My mechanic just quoted me about 500 dollars for brakes. He did say it will cost me more later if i wait.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 09:34 AM)Beaker Wrote: Or you can use what time you have to learn something new....and useful for your future. You can bet it won't take as long next time.

True.

The next time anyone gets a laceration they can also watch a you tube video on suturing and do it themselves, or they can come see an expert like me and have it done right the first time.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 11:13 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True.

The next time anyone gets a laceration they can also watch a you tube video on suturing and do it themselves, or they can come see an expert like me and have it done right the first time.

Yes....because changing brakes and suturing a wound are exactly the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 12:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: Yes....because changing brakes and suturing a wound are exactly the same thing.

They aren't exactly the same, but the are both learned skills. 
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 09:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: The difference today is that even the most non-mechanical among us can go on Youtube and find instructional videos about anything. In August, I did just that and replaced the front brake pads, rotors and calipers on my 04 Toyota Tacoma. Took me about 5 hours, but I did it. And cost me about $400 in parts plus my time.

There is no difference. You can do the exact same thing with anything computer related. That is how many people do learn how to assemble their own computers and repair them.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 11:13 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True.

If you've never had to suture yourself, you probably should get out more.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:30 PM)Benton Wrote: If you've never had to suture yourself, you probably should get out more.

Oh, yeah?  Try doing your own gonorrhea/chlamydia probe!

[Image: gerard-butler-as-king-leonidas-in-300-2006.jpg]

I wouldn't recommend watching the YouTube video.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Oh, yeah?  Try doing your own gonorrhea/chlamydia probe!

[Image: gerard-butler-as-king-leonidas-in-300-2006.jpg]

I wouldn't recommend watching the YouTube video.

I might check into that when I get done with this self-hemorrhoidectomy.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 01:33 PM)Benton Wrote: I might check into that when I get done with this self-hemorrhoidectomy.

Make sure you wrap the rubber band really tight.
Reply/Quote