Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New guys have Gold Star
(03-24-2022, 02:23 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I believe Cincinnati folks need to bury the Skyline/Goldstar war. It's already hard enough to get people to take the concept of Cincinnati chili seriously when we're not fighting over minutia between brands. Join forces and represent.

To be honest as far a quality of food neither of them are really that great as well as all the other Cincinnati chili versions.  I mean it's better than McDonalds or Burger King for sure, but nothing to brag about.  I cringe every time I see someone ask what to do in Cincinnati and the responses are ,"You have to eat at Skyline."  I think people overly defend Cincinnati chili because they were taught it is something special to the area.  When really it's good compared to other fast food but nothing to write home about in my opinion.  I'd even go so far as to guess outsiders that try it often find it forgettable.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:23 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I believe Cincinnati folks need to bury the Skyline/Goldstar war. It's already hard enough to get people to take the concept of Cincinnati chili seriously when we're not fighting over minutia between brands. Join forces and represent.

Exactly! There is a small difference in the taste, enough to make you like one better than the other, but not enough to make you like one and think the other sucks. I prefer Gold Star Cheese Coneys and Skyline chili spaghetti, but I like both and there's not much difference. To get much different you have to throw Dixie Chili into the mix.
Reply/Quote
I prefer Skyline, but only slightly. I'll happily eat either one.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: To be honest as far a quality of food neither of them are really that great as well as all the other Cincinnati chili versions.  I mean it's better than McDonalds or Burger King for sure, but nothing to brag about.  I cringe every time I see someone ask what to do in Cincinnati and the responses are ,"You have to eat at Skyline."  I think people overly defend Cincinnati chili because they were taught it is something special to the area.  When really it's good compared to other fast food but nothing to write home about in my opinion.  I'd even go so far as to guess outsiders that try it often find it forgettable.  

Mediterranean Chili is absolutely delicious, but of course it isn't for everyone.

It is actually VERY complex with flavours and when added to the different ways to eat it in Cincy (I will ONLY eat Coneys or the Chili on its own; an Italian eating that, "pasta," is blasphemy), it adds further complexity to textures and consistency.

Again, it's not for everyone, but it is an incredibly-delicious and complex dish.

I've made it at home (the, "apparent," authentic Skyline recipe) 3 times now and it is INCREDIBLE. Mine comes out a bit-thicker than the OG versions, but alone or on Hot Dogs, just superb.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm easy to entertain and enjoyed the video. Karras, Hurst, and Cappa give Cincinnati chili a try for the first time.

Very likable dudes. Made me laugh when Ted grabbed the fork and said "what am I doing?" lol
Reply/Quote
Promoting Skyline is why Uzomah is no longer with us Ninja
Reply/Quote
Those three guys have such personable characters. Very likable. I think fans are really going to love them.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Now someone should take them to Camp Washington Chili or Blue Ash Chili.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: To be honest as far a quality of food neither of them are really that great as well as all the other Cincinnati chili versions.  I mean it's better than McDonalds or Burger King for sure, but nothing to brag about.  I cringe every time I see someone ask what to do in Cincinnati and the responses are ,"You have to eat at Skyline."  I think people overly defend Cincinnati chili because they were taught it is something special to the area.  When really it's good compared to other fast food but nothing to write home about in my opinion.  I'd even go so far as to guess outsiders that try it often find it forgettable.  

Kinda the same thing that people down here do for food at the Root Beer Stand. Supposedly people traveling through from all over HAVE to try a foot long from the RBS. Mom and dad took us there all the time when we were kids. I personally don't eat it anymore but the placed is packed all spring and summer long. When they open in March, you can barely get your car in the parking lot. Overrated in my opinion, but, hey, some folks swear by it. Natives will tell you if you are coming through Corbin be sure and get your picture taken outside the original Colonel Sanders restaurant and then get you a footlong and root beer at the RBS.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how many of those GS coneys La'el could down in one sitting?

Joey Chesnut vs LC eating coneys. I want to see it !!!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very likable dudes. Made me laugh when Ted grabbed the fork and said "what am I doing?" lol

Yep. I love those guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: The Team Nutritionist is behind the camera saying "never eat that **** again".

Chad Johnson saying "you're doing it wrong, it's all about the McDonald's"

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Now someone should take them to Camp Washington Chili or Blue Ash Chili.

Often over-looked and still the best in town.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I assume Karras and Cappa added a side order of glass.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:19 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Kinda the same thing that people down here do for food at the Root Beer Stand. Supposedly people traveling through from all over HAVE to try a foot long from the RBS. Mom and dad took us there all the time when we were kids. I personally don't eat it anymore but the placed is packed all spring and summer long. When they open in March, you can barely get your car in the parking lot. Overrated in my opinion, but, hey, some folks swear by it. Natives will tell you if you are coming through Corbin be sure and get your picture taken outside the original Colonel Sanders restaurant and then get you a footlong and root beer at the RBS.

I've been to both of those places, but that was 30 years ago. I remember the root beer was good. Beyond that, I don't recall anything about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mediterranean Chili is absolutely delicious, but of course it isn't for everyone.

It is actually VERY complex with flavours and when added to the different ways to eat it in Cincy (I will ONLY eat Coneys or the Chili on its own; an Italian eating that, "pasta," is blasphemy), it adds further complexity to textures and consistency.

Again, it's not for everyone, but it is an incredibly-delicious and complex dish.

I've made it at home (the, "apparent," authentic Skyline recipe) 3 times now and it is INCREDIBLE. Mine comes out a bit-thicker than the OG versions, but alone or on Hot Dogs, just superb.

It's just okay and not really that complex in my opinion.  I've had every version commercial as well as several homemade many, many times because I live in the area.  It's good but not amazing or delicious.  If someone asked me what one food would I choose to eat for the rest of my life Cinci (Mediterranean spiced Chili) would not even pop into my mind.  It isn't even close to the best chili I've had.   Again it's good but in my opinion not near worth all the praise and recommendations it gets.   It's value is more that you can't get it everywhere so it is a regional "specialty".  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I used to enjoy Gold Star but years ago, ever since I perfected my own chili recipe, I don’t much care for the stuff. If I’m trying to whip up some quick chili cheese fries, I’ll use a can of GS or Skyline. But when it comes to actual chili spaghetti…naw. I use my own!
Reply/Quote
People are in here debating Gold Star v Skyline while completely ignoring the fact that there dudes just twirled their 3-ways. I’ll give them a pass since they’re first timers, but someone needs to let them know, it’s cut, not twirl. If this is still happening in a year, cut them…their fundamentals are obviously flawed.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Good thing they already signed because, otherwise, feeding them Gold Star over Skyline might be a deal killer.

When we're in the game, have been drinking, and are absorbed in the game, it doesn't really matter, but it's Skyline at any other time.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:19 PM)Earendil Wrote: I prefer Skyline, but only slightly. I'll happily eat either one.

This is the correct answer. They’re both delicious. Skyline has better 3 ways, gold star has better fries, and the coneys are pretty even. I will throw money at either of them.

There is a slight difference, but those who say “Gold Star sucks” while eating Skyline, are only saying it for the likes.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote