Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next 5 to get signed
The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.
As we approach the middle of this season, it occurs to me that Marvin Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Thompson, George Iloka, and Kevin Zeitler are the next 5 that the team will have to get signed.

How would you rank them, in terms of priority of ensuring that they remain a Bengal through the prime of their careers?

I have them as:

1. George Iloka; Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2. Kevin Zeitler; I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3. Marvin Jones; The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team. He was really missed last season.
4. Mo Sanu; As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5. B. Thomson; There is a reason I rank him last in priority. He's never really impressed me, let him move on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the top 3 are all "must" resigns. Mo is in the second tier but still a valuable piece of the puzzle. Signing Thompson at the right price would be good but not critical with Hardison in the wings.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones is a priority.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Receivers are relatively easy to replace. Iloka is definitely the priority.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:02 AM)JADefense Wrote: I think the top 3 are all "must" resigns.  Mo is in the second tier but still a valuable piece of the puzzle.  Signing Thompson at the right price would be good but not critical with Hardison in the wings.

I would put Thompson an offer a little above vet minimum, draft a new NT, and let them fight it out in camp.  As I understand, Hardison isn't a NT, he is a 3 technique, the backup to Geno Atkins.  I say draft Peko's heir apparent, as opposed to FA, because they already have a lot of money tied up in the DL, as a position group.

I would also make a modest contract offer to Sanu.  I have always liked his dynamic and versatility, but he has been known to falter when the team needed him to step up and be the man.  I see the WR position, particularly WR3/slot man, as one of the easier positions to replace by draft.  And, with the recovery of Tyler Eifert at TE, he is going to command a serious deal, when his time comes.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
MJ is number one priority but Zietler and Illoka aren't lesser guys. Sanu is a guy I love to resign but I don't see a world which we have the right combo of money and play time to keep him here.
Reply/Quote
Jones will be to expensive to be in the offseason to be re-signed. Expect an early pick at WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:17 AM)Housh Wrote: MJ is number one priority but Zietler and Illoka aren't lesser guys. Sanu is a guy I love to resign but I don't see a world which we have the right combo of money and play time to keep him here.

A couple of you folks have Jones as the top priority, but ask yourself this.  Which is harder to find, and who's absence would most impact the team negatively?  A top level Safety, or a WR2? 

As I see things, having Iloka back there as an "enforcer" sort of takes some of the attention away from our glaring weakness at the LB position.  Without him in there, I say the level of this defense definitely goes down a notch or two.  Conversely, on the offensive side, while Jones brings great things to the table, I say that Tyler Eifert could take up the slack in the passing game, if Jones were to get injured again.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Agree with your list Sunset.

I really hope we retain the top four. MLJ is a top tier #2, if he can stay on the field. Like you say Iloka is top level and Zeitler is as well.

The versatility Sanu brings to the table isn't easily replaced either. Let's hope we can keep em all.
Reply/Quote
I'd add Adam Jones to the list. He is the leader of the defense.

I know he's aging, but his play is tops and a two year deal would be nice. I wouldn't break the bank though, but he's more valuable than Thompson or Sanu.

The biggest obstacle will be if Vance moves on and takes Jones with him.

Reply/Quote
Sanu is covered in Bengals ink. Have to re-sign that guy haha.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:11 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Receivers are relatively easy to replace. Iloka is definitely the priority.

I have to disagree with that statement.

Yes, you can always find a guy to be on the roster, but it's not so easy to get a quality player.  Look at the impact last season when trying to find injury replacements, or the quality of guys we've been able to bring in as FA at the postition without breaking the bank (which is why we would lose MLJ or Sanu), i.e. Laverneous Coles, Antonio Bryant, etc.

It's a crapshoot, as the guaranteed AJ Greens and Julio Jones' of the world are few and far between, and just as rare as the MLJ late round successes.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:53 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have to disagree with that statement.

Yes, you can always find a guy to be on the roster, but it's not so easy to get a quality player.  Look at the impact last season when trying to find injury replacements, or the quality of guys we've been able to bring in as FA at the postition without breaking the bank (which is why we would lose MLJ or Sanu), i.e. Laverneous Coles, Antonio Bryant, etc.

It's a crapshoot, as the guaranteed AJ Greens and Julio Jones' of the world are few and far between, and just as rare as the MLJ late round successes.

That situation last season was a bit of a unique anomaly, as initially, both Jones and Eifert were expect to return.  By the time it was evident that neither would, it was much too late to find suitable replacements.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think having a guy like Eifert devalues the WRs somewhat. Illoka and Zeitler would be harder to replace than a WR at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That situation last season was a bit of a unique anomaly, as initially, both Jones and Eifert were expect to return.  By the time it was evident that neither would, it was much too late to find suitable replacements.

My point was that getting a quality guy is going to cost you, which is what we are trying to avoid with MLJ and Sanu, correct?  The only other option is via the draft, in which case (with rare exception) the player will need developmental time.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.
As we approach the middle of this season, it occurs to me that Marvin Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Thompson, George Iloka, and Kevin Zeitler are the next 5 that the team will have to get signed.

How would you rank them, in terms of priority of ensuring that they remain a Bengal through the prime of their careers?

I have them as:

1.  George Iloka;  Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2.  Kevin Zeitler;  I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3.  Marvin Jones;  The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team.  He was really missed last season.
4.  Mo Sanu;  As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5.  B. Thomson;  There is a reason I rank him last in priority.  He's never really impressed me, let him move on.

I want Sanu back every bit as much as MLJ, mainly because I think he is the perfect complementary receiver to AJ, MLJ, and even Eifert. Solid performer, tough as nails, and an "all effort" guy as there is IMHO. And a great kid in the locker room to boot! I don't think we'd have to break the bank to keep him either. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:58 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I think having a guy like Eifert devalues the WRs somewhat.  Illoka and Zeitler would be harder to replace than a WR at this point.

Need to sign all three.  Would like to keep Sanu too but if he's the odd man out, so be it.  Can't let MLJ go.  There should be money for all three.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:07 PM)McC Wrote: Need to sign all three.  Would like to keep Sanu too but if he's the odd man out, so be it.  Can't let MLJ go.  There should be money for all three.

Optimally, we'd like to keep all of them, save for maybe Thompson. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Optimally, we'd like to keep all of them, save for maybe Thompson. 

Absolutely! Finding an upgrade over Thompson would take us from good to great possibly.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.

I have them as:

1.  George Iloka;  Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2.  Kevin Zeitler;  I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3.  Marvin Jones;  The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team.  He was really missed last season.
4.  Mo Sanu;  As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5.  B. Thomson;  There is a reason I rank him last in priority.  He's never really impressed me, let him move on.

Totally agree.  An ongoing story all season is the lack of quality offensive linemen across the NFL, Zeitler is not immediatley replaceble.  Getting Iloka to resign is a no brainer....gotta have quality players in the secondary in this pass heavy league.  We will sign either Jones or Sanu not both.  JOnes is the better receiver but Sanu is less injury prone.  Signing Thomson will depend on the price.   Adam Jones will be interesting.  I think he resigns regardless of offers he will get from other teams.  He repays the confidence and loyalty the Bengals showed him when he was persona non grata in the league.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote