Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next 5 to get signed
Believe draft priorities next year should be on the defensive side of the ball early and often.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.
As we approach the middle of this season, it occurs to me that Marvin Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Thompson, George Iloka, and Kevin Zeitler are the next 5 that the team will have to get signed.

How would you rank them, in terms of priority of ensuring that they remain a Bengal through the prime of their careers?

I have them as:

1.  George Iloka;  Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2.  Kevin Zeitler;  I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3.  Marvin Jones;  The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team.  He was really missed last season.
4.  Mo Sanu;  As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5.  B. Thomson;  There is a reason I rank him last in priority.  He's never really impressed me, let him move on.

A little too early to tell, how this season plays out, will affect their negotiations.
If we win the SB, they will probably want to test the market.

However, I'd hope that we could keep as many as we can, but definitely prioritize the first 3.
Reply/Quote
Like it was said earlier, we waited a long time for good safety. We finally got one in Iloka, so he has to be priority #1.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.
As we approach the middle of this season, it occurs to me that Marvin Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Thompson, George Iloka, and Kevin Zeitler are the next 5 that the team will have to get signed.

How would you rank them, in terms of priority of ensuring that they remain a Bengal through the prime of their careers?

I have them as:

1. George Iloka; Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2. Kevin Zeitler; I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3. Marvin Jones; The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team. He was really missed last season.
4. Mo Sanu; As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5. B. Thomson; There is a reason I rank him last in priority. He's never really impressed me, let him move on.

well is Zeitler on his 5th year option of is that next year? if so they might wait on him

I would say

ILOKA
Mo Sanu
Kirkpatrick
Marvin jones i think we can RFA tender
and both Hall and A Jones need new deals i believe.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 04:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Marvin jones i think we can RFA tender

At this point, you're just trolling people with this thought.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:11 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Receivers are relatively easy to replace. Iloka is definitely the priority.

Then we'll hear all this crying about needing a number 2 receiver. I must admit, Bengals fans on this board are ********.  How do you draft a guy, that becomes your number 2 receiver based on effort, ability, and stats, then just let him go. Hope your not the 2nd best option at your job.
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Jones and Iloka are definitely priorities. Don't know how many O-lineman we can keep giving big money to.
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 04:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: At this point, you're just trolling people with this thought.

well my thought is since he didnt play a down last year he wont have his 4 years eligibility to be a UFA while tendering him doesnt guarentee we can keep him depending on what he is offered. It does potentially give us a draft pick if he leaves (not sure if we can tender him higher than what he was drafted or how all that works)

Best bet is to resign him. But as we know its generally not possible to keep everyone.

And our #2 Receiving target is Eifert i believe. but jones is a great asset.

and i hope we can keep everyone but that will depend on who wants to chase the $$$$$$$
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 05:19 PM)Paul from Dayton Wrote: Jones and Iloka are definitely priorities. Don't know how many O-lineman we can keep giving big money to.

Well Andre is most likely gone after this season. Ced or Fisher will move into the RT spot next season, with their rookie deal. Whit is most likely gone/retired after the 16 season, so Ced should move over there. Bodine isn't eligible for a new deal until after next season and he isn't beating the door down for a big pay day. We'll most likely be implementing more rookie deals into the OL, so I think we should have no problem re-signing Zeitler.

Keep in mind that Marshall Yanda just signed an extension that makes his new deal 5 yr/$34.14 million. He's the highest paid RG in the league, so we should be able to afford Zeitler since he's not on Yanda's level yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 05:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well my thought is since he didnt play a down last year he wont have his 4 years eligibility to be a UFA  while tendering him doesnt guarentee we can keep him depending on what he is offered.  It does potentially give us a draft pick if he leaves (not sure if we can tender him higher than what he was drafted or how all that works)

Best bet is to resign him. But as we know its generally not possible to keep everyone.

And our #2 Receiving target is Eifert i believe.  but jones is a great asset.

and i hope we can keep everyone but that will depend on who wants to chase the $$$$$$$

HE IS NOT AN RFA.

We only have 1 upcoming RFA, Lewis-Harris.
Reply/Quote
unless Marvin Jones takes a hometown discount I think he signs for big $$$$ else where..

while I think Iloka is a good player I dont expect us throw the bank at him

Zeitler resigns I believe in a deal a little less than Bolings

B Thompson and Sanu stay on the cheap and realize where there bread is buttered
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 05:33 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: HE IS NOT AN RFA.

We only have 1 upcoming RFA, Lewis-Harris.

thats weird hes missed a lot of time.. I guess since he was on the roster last year he got enough eligibilty to be considered a full 4 years
Reply/Quote
On MJones, he is only one year removed from an injury. He's a very good player here in a role. I'm not saying he's not replaceable, but he's also not worth #1 money as he's unproven there. I think he's a very important part of this team and would like to see him stay.

All of that is contract discussion worthy. We're not seeing as much FA money spent on these moves as in the past as I know the numbers would prove that more times than not these moves do not prove worthy. Look at all the high profile moves that are near busts for the $. Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson (not up to expectation- also injured), Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Torrey Smith, Percy Harvin, etc.

Sure there's a Brandon Marshall or Steve Smith, but those are few and far between the overpaid, under-performers.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 02:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's really not a rare exception anymore. Rookie WR's contribute all the time.

Amari Cooper, Alshon Jeffery, DeAndre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, Odell Beckham, Stefon Diggs, TY Hilton, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin...etc. That's just from the last few years and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Dozens more have contributed at a similar level or better than what we'd expect from our #2 WR.

Sure there's been some draft failures, but the Bengals are good at drafting and getting good results out of rookies that are asked to start. I think signing either MLJ or Sanu and drafting a replacement for the one who walks would be a good route to take.

I wasn't really referring to early round guys.

Something in our favor with our FAs to be is how Housh was preaching "don't chase the money" during the offseason, as well as MJ telling his tale in the locker room.
Reply/Quote
Iloka
MJ
Zeitler
And who cares about the rest. Sanu is heavily replaceable and MJ is 10x the receiver. However, WR is still less replaceable and they might have invested so much in OL that they might try to not focus on Zeitler. So Iloka is #1
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 09:36 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Iloka
MJ
Zeitler
And  who cares about the rest. Sanu is heavily replaceable and MJ is 10x the receiver. However, WR is still less replaceable and they might have invested so much in OL that they might try to not focus on Zeitler. So Iloka is #1

Totally agree with this, although I wouldn't mind keeping Sanu around if his salary demands match what he's actually worth. Sanu filled the #1 role pretty well when AJ was out last year. He's definitely more of a #3 guy, but he's a good #3.

Btw, another reason why Iloka should be top priority is Reggie Nelson's age. For his position, Nelson is old. He won't be around too much longer and it'd be nice to maintain some stability in the back end if possible.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:40 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'd add Adam Jones to the list. He is the leader of the defense.

I know he's aging, but his play is tops and a two year deal would be nice. I wouldn't break the bank though, but he's more valuable than Thompson or Sanu.

The biggest obstacle will be if Vance moves on and takes Jones with him.

Adam is a huge priority not being mentioned often.  Agree with the points here.

Iloka, Adam, Marvin Jones, and try to bring back Mo at a reasonable price.  Thompson should be inexpensive.  Extend Zeitler and maybe Kirkpatrick to lower the cap hits.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 04:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well  is Zeitler on his 5th year option of is that next year?  if so they might wait on him

I would say

ILOKA
Mo Sanu
Kirkpatrick
Marvin jones i think we can RFA tender
and both Hall and A Jones need new deals i believe.

Hall would need to take a huge cut in pay.  Isn't he making around $8.5 million this year?  Honestly, most teams would have asked him to restructure his deal going into this season.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:20 PM)pally Wrote: IIRC that bonus would count against this years cap and we still have money available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andy-dalton/

$1.5M per subsequent year if he plays in 80% of the snaps & reaches the Super Bowl

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2015, 10:27 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Hall would need to take a huge cut in pay.  Isn't he making around $8.5 million this year?  Honestly, most teams would have asked him to restructure his deal going into this season.

well pay would drop yes but it be a new deal as its his last year...

Also shows to potential free agents that we honor contracts as best we can
Reply/Quote