Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals H.O.F.er
(12-29-2020, 05:15 PM)J24 Wrote: Geno and Whitworth will both be in on the first ballot

Nope. As mentioned before, the Hall has a massive back up of players. Several true first ballots will be retiring, pushing Geno even further away. Most casual fans don't even know of him. Blame it on a small market or not, he is not the highlight reel producer. The last few years don't help that case. As time goes on, we have the Watt family, Bosa Family and Aaron Donald and the like who will over shadow Geno in both stats and public remembrance. 

Whitworth played O-line, so that is even harder to make voters to give a damn. Allen Faneca, Tony Boselli and Joe Jacoby ( to name a few ) should already be there but are still waiting. Saying goes "can the story of the NFL be written without them?" Think getting these guys enough votes isn't there.

Not saying they do not belong in the Hall of Fame, but just going how people get in, don't think it is happening.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 06:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I haven't seen this much beating since Ray Rice stepped out of an elevator.  Ninja Ninja

Ouch...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:51 PM)Bigcatfan Wrote: I wouldn't think Corey Dillion would be in. He was a good RB, and he did break Jim Brown's single game rushing record for a rookie. Dillion did that on a cold sunday night against the Oilers. And it was for 200+ yrds.

I was at that game.  Think it was 268 or something and he went for 279, which was the NFL record for a couple years.  I look at all these guys, and while I absolutely believe Riley, Anderson, Willie, Chad, Whit, and Geno should be in....it is no different than Bates not even making the fricking Pro Bowl.  

Market size and team success matters.  Had Chad, Willie, and Whit won a Super Bowl with Carson, they would be in.  Same with Geno and the team that made 5 straight playoff appearances.  One Super Bowl and it would have made all the difference.  

Anderson and Riley not being in is just plain dumb.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:09 PM)Destro Wrote: Nope. As mentioned before, the Hall has a massive back up of players. Several true first ballots will be retiring, pushing Geno even further away. Most casual fans don't even know of him. Blame it on a small market or not, he is not the highlight reel producer. The last few years don't help that case. As time goes on, we have the Watt family, Bosa Family and Aaron Donald and the like who will over shadow Geno in both stats and public remembrance. 

Whitworth played O-line, so that is even harder to make voters to give a damn. Allen Faneca, Tony Boselli and Joe Jacoby ( to name a few ) should already be there but are still waiting. Saying goes "can the story of the NFL be written without them?" Think getting these guys enough votes isn't there.

Not saying they do not belong in the Hall of Fame, but just going how people get in, don't think it is happening.
This is complete nonsense.
1.) Geno is on the HOF team of 2010s.
2.) He is clearly the 2nd best DT of his generation behind Donald who is perhaps the greatest DT of all time.
3.) Again Whitworth is clearly a top 5 offensive lineman of his era. He is in.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 07:54 PM)WhoDave72 Wrote: I agree with you that Reggie Kelly should be next. Best blocking TE in NFL history

[Image: mGG8DYWjztKmovIMT07JjsYgYRulNFiyI2oc7h2g...fRvd-vpmJc]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Geno yes, Whitworth I'm not too sure of.... he was a second team All Pro once, but never 1st team. 4 Pro Bowls. Not sure that cuts it for a tackle

Whit was first team All Pro twice. Once here (2015), once with LA (2017).

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ouch...

[Image: grq0o.gif]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hilarious Ha!  You beat me to beating me to it...

lol too much of that going on around here.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 12:22 AM)J24 Wrote: This is complete nonsense.
1.) Geno is on the HOF team of 2010s.
2.) He is clearly the 2nd best DT of his generation behind Donald who is perhaps the greatest DT of all time.
3.) Again Whitworth is clearly a top 5 offensive lineman of his era. He is in.

1) Look up that list and plenty of those players also are no getting in first ballot if ever, at all. It's the 2010's and these last two he's been  
2) Not clearly, and even if true, that does not rubberstamp you getting in, never has, never will. DT don't get a lot of love, and when they do, they are game wreckers. Geno doesn't have that. D-Line Hall of Famers are yearly sack machines and who change outcomes of games.
3) Plenty of other players were top, PERIOD for years, and are still not in. Not a sexy position, and the ones who make it are perennial all pros, not perennial snubs. If even the Steeler Alan Faneca is waiting, Whitworth won't even get to the 25 person cut down.

Hall loves stats, rings and recognition. Geno also without a playoff win. The above have none of that. Say they both retire tomorrow. By the time they are eligible, how many others who are waiting, who are clearly better HOFers, ( not a dig just a fact ),  fill up the entry list. Means they wait for those back logs to trickle in. They don't get in first ballot. As years go by, the guys who have magazine covers and marketing and national notoriety have retired. They eat up first ballots.  

Once again, not saying it is fair or right, but just how the system of getting into the HOF has been. Each year you get the list of snubs. Epic players, known the country over who don't get in. Cincy fans saw Whit and Geno more, so their impact was greater with those around, but I'd say if they even played for many other teams, they still would not get in. Hall of Fame is 32 teams and get 5 or 6 modern players in each year. For every All-pro player people think should get in, there are All-pros in bigger markets, have bigger stats and have rings in line to get in. Each year that passes by makes these players less and less impactful, as they become forgettable. 
Reply/Quote
Had PFF existed when Willie played, he'd already be in. His dominant play waa rarely recognized in the media because he was on so many bad teams.
Reply/Quote
Willie did not make the final 15.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Willie did not make the final 15.

Well that sux
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Willie did not make the final 15.

Looking at the list of those who didn't make it today, plus those who did make this cut but will not make the final group, solidifies why I say Whit and Geno come up short. Too many already waiting in line.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:53 PM)Destro Wrote: Looking at the list of those who didn't make it today, plus those who did make this cut but will not make the final group, solidifies why I say Whit and Geno come up short. Too many already waiting in line.

I think Whit is ahead of Geno, simply because he went played somewhere else and played well.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think Whit is ahead of Geno, simply because he went played somewhere else and played well.

Well Geno is 4 years younger than Whit when he went elsewhere
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think Whit is ahead of Geno, simply because he went played somewhere else and played well.

Yeah, but spent a bunch of time here to hide his career. Small market and no playoff noise will hurt chances.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 07:54 PM)WhoDave72 Wrote: I agree with you that Reggie Kelly should be next. Best blocking TE in NFL history

Disagree. Ken Anderson should be next, followed by Ken Riley. It's an absolute joke that neither are in already.
Reply/Quote
If you check the stats, CD beats Bettis in nearly every category that isn't bulk career rush yards...and he has a ring. He should be in.

The main problem I have with the HOF is their moving goalposts. For most players, there seems to be a yardage number you have to clear. It seems to be around 14,000 yards for both WR and RB.

That said, they don't hold every player to that standard...and frankly, I think that's a terrible metric to judge greatness. Frank Gore has shattered that number due to his amazing longevity, but does his career really scream HOF?

Is Gore better than Dillon in their primes?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you check the stats, CD beats Bettis in nearly every category that isn't bulk career rush yards...and he has a ring. He should be in.

The main problem I have with the HOF is their moving goalposts. For most players, there seems to be a yardage number you have to clear. It seems to be around 14,000 yards for both WR and RB.

That said, they don't hold every player to that standard...and frankly, I think that's a terrible metric to judge greatness. Frank Gore has shattered that number due to his amazing longevity, but does his career really scream HOF?

Is Gore better than Dillon in their primes?

Lynn Swan's numbers are embarrassing for a HOFer.  I agree that he was better than his number indicate, but no way he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.  With him it was all about being a very popular player on a dynasty team and making a couple of incredible catches in Super Bowl games.

Only one season with more than 50 receptions.  Never higher than 7th in receptions and only two seasons in the top 10.

Career best 880 receiving yards in a season.  Never higher than 4th.  Only 3 seasons in top 10.

Career 336 receptions for 5462 yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lynn Swan's numbers are embarrassing for a HOFer.  I agree that he was better than his number indicate, but no way he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.  With him it was all about being a very popular player on a dynasty team and making a couple of incredible catches in Super Bowl games.

Only one season with more than 50 receptions.  Never higher than 7th in receptions and only two seasons in the top 10.

Career best 880 receiving yards in a season.  Never higher than 4th.  Only 3 seasons in top 10.

Career 336 receptions for 5462 yards.

Totally agree.. look at Curtis to Swan... 12 years  416  7101 and 53 TDs... and not even ever a finalist..SAD
Reply/Quote