Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next celebrity politician.
Trump did not work out that well, but Reagan is still a god to many republicans.

With elections becoming more about salesmanship than substance I think we will continue to see more celebrity politicians.

A lot of people have said George Clooney is thinking about politics. He seems to be pretty intelligent and rational.

Edward Norton, a Yale graduate, is a very active in environmental conservation and helps run a non-profit organization devoted to providing affordable housing.  His father was a federal  prosecutor and a nationally renowned conservation advocate.  But Norton generally keeps his personal life private and does not seem like the type that would enjoy running for office.

Kanye has already thrown his hat in the ring.  But he seems like a bit of a nutjob.

Adam Corrolla has a lot of strong political opinions, but he seems more like a blow hard than real politician.

Mike Rowe is hugely popular for his social activism, and he seems pretty smart.  He would have a ton of appeal rom the middle class.

Any other possibilities?

And please don't just start bashing celebrities.  A lot of them are shallow and narcissistic, but some of them are very intelligent and know how to appeal to the masses.
Reply/Quote
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

He's the movie star version of Kanye without the obvious mental health issues.

Or just the American (Samoan) version of Arnold. LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jesse the Body Ventura

Fred Grandy. ‘Gopher’

Mike Rowe would be interesting. So would Joe Rogan.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I would love to see some of these celebrities run for the House of Representatives, or maybe state or local office. I think we need to recognize that these individuals with little to no real understanding of how government functions at this level need to not be in the White House. At least Reagan held a government position prior to POTUS. Trump just came in and had no understanding or respect for the institutions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 10:16 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would love to see some of these celebrities run for the House of Representatives, or maybe state or local office. I think we need to recognize that these individuals with little to no real understanding of how government functions at this level need to not be in the White House. At least Reagan held a government position prior to POTUS. Trump just came in and had no understanding or respect for the institutions.

I agree that they should not just start out running for President.

Maybe I should have made that more clear in my original post.

I also consider famous athletes to be celebrities.  There are many examples of them getting elected. Former Bengal Tommy Casanova was elected to the Louisiana State Senate.  And I remember former Oklahoma QB J.C. Watts was a US Representative back in the 90's.  He got a lot of coverage because he was a black Republican.

Again, there are a lot of stupid athletes who think they are smart just because a lot of people adore them, but there are also a lot of very smart people who just happen to be great athletes.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that they should not just start out running for President.

I also consider famous athletes to be celebrities.  There are many examples of them getting elected. Former Bengal Tommy Casanova was elected to the Louisiana State Senate.  And I remember former Oklahoma QB J.C. Watts was a US Representative back in the 90's.  He got a lot of coverage because he was a black Republican.

Again, there are a lot of stupid athletes who think they are smart just because a lot of people adore them, but there are also a lot of very smart people who just happen to be great athletes.

Steve Largent was in office also.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that they should not just start out running for President.

Ok, I'm down with this. In all honesty, I don't have any problem with any celebrity running. Our government should be made up of the citizens of the country, and celebrities are citizens. If someone is willing to serve the people, then I support their choice.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Burrow/Rosen 2040
Reply/Quote
Undertaker needs to run as a Democrat against the current mayor of Knox county Tennessee Kane.

Instead of a debate they will have a casket match.

Seriously though. I would prefer no show biz clowns in politics. I’ve seen enough
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 08:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people have said George Clooney is thinking about politics. He seems to be pretty intelligent and rational.

- - - - -

Edward Norton, a Yale graduate, is a very active in environmental conservation and helps run a non-profit organization devoted to providing affordable housing.  His father was a federal  prosecutor and a nationally renowned conservation advocate.  But Norton generally keeps his personal life private and does not seem like the type that would enjoy running for office.

- - - - -

Mike Rowe is hugely popular for his social activism, and he seems pretty smart.  He would have a ton of appeal rom the middle class.

George Clooney would mean an openly Bengals fan for President. Maybe that would get Goodell to put the Bengals in better ownership hands? Lol

- - - - - 

I think Edward Norton couldn't run in the social media era because of American History X the opposing party would just run pictures of him all skinheaded with swastikas tattooed on him. It's dumb, but there's a lot of people who haven't seen the movie or simply don't care about understanding context enough that it might matter.

- - - - -

Bright side of Mike Rowe for president is I could listen to him speak for eternity. Dude can narrate boring TV and I am still intrigued. Morgan Freeman for VP, Vin Scully for Secretary of State, and David Attenborough for Secretary of Defense.... we would have the greatest press conference ratings ever.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Was Reggie Williams on Cincinnati city council? I seem to remember him doing something or at least running for something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote