Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next season bring in new WR coach (and OC hopefully)
The 34 13 blowout vs the Pats only highlighted
A issue on offense that has been overshadowed
By a QB carousel and really porous playcalling.
The issue being the Bengals WRs are not being used correctly.
It's impossible for me to point out every single play
That the WRs have ran routes on through 14 games

But what I have seen this year is the Bengals WRs are being asked
To.run the same routes over and over with very little variation
And according to down and distance the routes never really change

And the routes themselves are nothing more than the same routes you find in high school.

Rarely have I seen.a WR asked to run a out and up route.
I saw Erickson run it against Joe Haden and it would have been a TD
If the Red Popgun would have placed the ball on his inside shoulder

Auden Tate ran a limited route tree this year.
Did anyone ever see him run a sluggo route or pivot route ?
Alot of his routes weren't designed to get YAC.

John Ross ran the full route tree at Washington.
Yet how often did ZT Send him on a long crossing route or a stop
And go route?

Did anybody see any wheel routes or rub routes this year?
Heck I barely saw bubble screens this year

It's apparent the Bengals WRs at times are hampered by ZT and Bicknells lack of imagination.
Steven Gilmore said it all
Reply/Quote
I don't know. Really what it boils down to is Ross and Erickson and IF a different coach could get production out of them.

Boyd is a good WR.

Boyd is a #2 WR on a good team. Here, he's miscast as a 1. Then Tate is a 4 or 5 on a good team. Here he was our 2. Ross is a 4 or 5 on a good team. Here, he's a 2/3.

Seems we lack talent and need to acquire it.

Also, outside of Ross...we have no speed at WR.
Reply/Quote
Check out my way to early mock draft!

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Synric-s-Mock-Me-Way-too-early

Buy in!!! I'm looking for a GM job Cool
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Taylor needs to be gone. Once again this team was unprepared for the game at hand. It's a weekly, season long occurrence.

Reply/Quote
Looks to me that Dalton looked at Boyd through the whole route.
Reply/Quote
Taylor shouldnt be calling plays.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Wasn't the WR coach one of the few that was retained?
Reply/Quote
Taylor either needs to give up play-calling and get an actual OC in here, or he needs to go.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Except for Joe Mixon I would release or trade everyone on the Bengals' offense and completely start over on that side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:37 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Except for Joe Mixon I would release or trade everyone on the Bengals' offense and completely start over on that side of the ball.

Tyler Boyd is a really good WR. Gio is a decent #2 RB (who’s probably untradable now with that contract). AJ would be very helpful for a rookie QB if we can finally catch a break and get him healthy. Hopkins is a good center. Auden Tate has shown enough to be given more opportunities.

Weren’t you just going on about “ignoring the defense for years” but now you want to blow up an entire side of the ball and put us in a position to need 10 new starters on offense? Interesting approach...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tyler Boyd is a really good WR. Gio is a decent #2 RB (who’s probably untradable now with that contract). AJ would be very helpful for a rookie QB if we can finally catch a break and get him healthy. Hopkins is a good center. Auden Tate has shown enough to be given more opportunities.

Weren’t you just going on about “ignoring the defense for years” but now you want to blow up an entire side of the ball and put us in a position to need 10 new starters on offense? Interesting approach...

We were talking about offense, but the entire defense needs an exorcism.  It HAS been ignored since Mike Zimmer left.
Reply/Quote
...I don't think you actually know what a WR coach does.
Reply/Quote
If our WRs would just fight through passes thrown directly to other teams defenses we'd win every super bowl! ~Zac
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: If our WRs would just fight through passes thrown directly to other teams defenses we'd win every super bowl! ~Zac

I am going to seem like I am playing both sides of the fence here, because I am, but he isn't wrong. We sorely miss Auden Tate as one thing he does really well is shield with his body providing safer throwing lanes for the QB. Boyd does this better downfield than he does in the intermediate and short routes. The downfield balls are 50/50 balls but the pre jump positioning has a lot of impact on what happens in terms of incompletion versus interception. With that said, asking dudes who are six foot and under to win a bunch of jump balls isn't a winning formula. 

I think really what this highlights is we are in need of more talent at WR this off season. I have been a big proponent of adding a WR in the 3rd or 4th round of this draft because it is LOADED with talent. If AJ leaves we need to add another bigger bodied WR to go with Tate because when Tate is out we don't have another guy who gives us that skill set. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am going to seem like I am playing both sides of the fence here, because I am, but he isn't wrong. We sorely miss Auden Tate as one thing he does really well is shield with his body providing safer throwing lanes for the QB. Boyd does this better downfield than he does in the intermediate and short routes. The downfield balls are 50/50 balls but the pre jump positioning has a lot of impact on what happens in terms of incompletion versus interception. With that said, asking dudes who are six foot and under to win a bunch of jump balls isn't a winning formula. 

I think really what this highlights is we are in need of more talent at WR this off season. I have been a big proponent of adding a WR in the 3rd or 4th round of this draft because it is LOADED with talent. If AJ leaves we need to add another bigger bodied WR to go with Tate because when Tate is out we don't have another guy who gives us that skill set. 

I kind of agree with you, but there's a catch.. This is the bengals we're talking about. If it makes sense it goes in the shitcan right away regardless.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: I kind of agree with you, but there's a catch.. This is the bengals we're talking about. If it makes sense it goes in the shitcan right away regardless.. 

I actually think we can look to Taylor's comments post game and know their internal thoughts. He made a comment earlier in the season about the Linebacker play and they cut Preston Brown the next week and changed up what they were doing there. Reports then came out the whole room is getting cleared out this off season. I think this comment about the WR's should actually be watched as I think it will signal some moves at WR this off season. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Really what it boils down to is Ross and Erickson and IF a different coach could get production out of them.

Boyd is a good WR.

Boyd is a #2 WR on a good team. Here, he's miscast as a 1. Then Tate is a 4 or 5 on a good team. Here he was our 2. Ross is a 4 or 5 on a good team. Here, he's a 2/3.

Seems we lack talent and need to acquire it.

Also, outside of Ross...we have no speed at WR.

The problem is ultimately the Bengals put too much stock into AJ Green.
He's the clear-cut WR1 on the team.
If he was out there, Boyd would be WR2 and Ross and Tate would operate as the WR3 based on the playcalling.

Given AJ's health, age, and contract, they need to find a true WR1 replacement for him whether he stays or not. This upcoming draft is one of the deepest it's been the past decade, so there is a chance the Bengals look for AJ's heir there.

Also, I'm not sure whether they are being cautious with Ross now or not, but he's only seen three targets each of the last two games since returning from injury. It does look like they might be given his snap counts for those games have been 49% and 38% respectively.

If he's falling out of favor with the Bengals staff, perhaps it'd be worth trading him to a team with a strong-armed QB. Perhaps Buffalo would be great given their ability to make trades with them in the past and also how Buffalo has turned John Brown into a well-rounded WR. Allen's arm might be able to actually hit John Ross in stride down the field (assuming he can throw accurately).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am going to seem like I am playing both sides of the fence here, because I am, but he isn't wrong. We sorely miss Auden Tate as one thing he does really well is shield with his body providing safer throwing lanes for the QB. Boyd does this better downfield than he does in the intermediate and short routes. The downfield balls are 50/50 balls but the pre jump positioning has a lot of impact on what happens in terms of incompletion versus interception. With that said, asking dudes who are six foot and under to win a bunch of jump balls isn't a winning formula. 

Does it have to be a WR or could we just utilize the TEs better?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:39 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Does it have to be a WR or could we just utilize the TEs better?

Right now unfortunately the Bengals' tight ends need to block more than they do run routes and catch passes.  If the offensive line improves then sure, send those tight ends out!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:39 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Does it have to be a WR or could we just utilize the TEs better?

Obviously better play out of TE would help, but I think you have to have some size on the outside to be consistently effective. If we are going to take a Joe Burrow, as all signs point to, I am going to give him bigger targets who can help him out if he struggles at times with accuracy during his transition. I look at Buffalo and I honestly feel like if they had gotten Allen a bigger elite WR threat they could be real contenders in the AFC this year versus settling for smaller guys that get open but struggle to help his accuracy issues. 
Reply/Quote