Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Next weeks feature, crow.
Would those guys have to eat crow if the Bengals sign a back-up FA or one off of IR or something? I mean Mike Edwards signing is not like signing Jordan Poyer.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:55 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Same, young dude and athletic.

Also like Schultz, hooper, tonyan gesecki.

Does anyone really think hurts was substantially better, if at all, than those listed above?

It's not who's better, it's who's willing to play for peanuts. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall turning on Perine is unfortunate. Go back and watch the games he started. Watch his contributions in the post season. Watch his pass protection.....

Last offseason maybe the shade could be thrown his way, but he was our best RB this year and should be respected for his contributions to this team. Same with Bell. These were culture builders and key locker room leaders you guys are just brushing off as replaceable with 5th 6th round picks.

It's going to take any drafted rookie years to get on their level, from a knowledge and leadership standpoint. These are players on a Championship team. You guys act like we losing players from a 4-13, 8-9 team. Who needs them! They are replaceable! A little high on your horses if you ask me.

Put a little respekt on the names of these players that got us to back to back Conference Championship games. Not all teams can say they've done that outside of KC. So it isn't as easy as some act.

Lol, who said we are replacing them with 5th and 6th round picks?

If we get Damien Harris or devin singletery to replace perine, did we lose that much?

I think everyone you are assuming to want a draft pick, in actuality believes it will be a NFL starting caliber player.
Reply/Quote
I think a bit much is being made of Hurst's age. He's played all of five seasons, so it's not like he has the wear and tear of an average 29 year old.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's not who's better, it's who's willing to play for peanuts. 

If the production is comparable, you almost always go with the more affordable route.

If hurst costs you 3/21, but Irv smith is 1/3.5, and the production is the same… isn’t it bad business to pay more for equal?

Business 101.
Reply/Quote
Bell and Perine shock me. I guess the Bengals didn’t even make an offer to those guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I. DON'T. HAVE. PATIENCE!

Tongue

I want FA over so I can make my new mock(s)!

Think of the mocks!!! Why won’t they think of the mocks??!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:03 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Think of the mocks!!! Why won’t they think of the mocks??!!!

Bruh that's my entire existence!
I'm nothing without mock drafts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If I gave off that interpretation of Hurst and Perine, I apologize.
I think both can be replaced, but we haven't seen anyone yet and it's already Day 3 of FA.
Until we see a replacement, I'm going to assume they'll wait until the draft to get someone.

Technically free agency doesn’t officially start until 4pm. The same panic happened last year. We lost Uzomah and signed no one during the tampering period. No one was complaining by the time FA ended.

Perine was a backup. It makes sense for him to leave because he outperformed his role. Perine can be replaced with Trayveon Williams or another backup.

Hurst can be replaced with another journeyman tight end or a draft pick. Even in the worst case scenario, we still have Chase/Boyd/Higgins. Hurst didn’t perform any better than Uzomah did in 2021. How did signing Uzomah to a long term contract work out for the Jets? Best of luck to Hurst, but he wasn’t a critical piece in 2022. Tight end is a luxury for this offense.

Neither player is difficult to replace, if not upgrade
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:59 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: If we get Damien Harris or devin singletery to replace perine, did we lose that much?

They aren't coming from a culture of winning..... 

One of the key's to the Bengals turn around is their free agents came from teams with playoff success, their draft picks came from college playoff and championship teams.

Signing players from the Bears etc who has never contributed to a team who won more then 4 games is losing a little of that wining culture mindset. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’d like to revisit this in a week to see how many doom and gloomers come back to earth after things have settled down.  

The bengals are not going to not sign any FAs.  They also are not going to over pay.  Let’s be a little patient, the only big loss that wasn’t expected was bell.  But we more or less offset that with Pratt.  

Perine, hurst and bates where all expected to leave or can be easily replaced.

This is a good place for us to be in.  Good teams lose good players every year.

I agree. Teams are going to run out of money or cut good players. It happens ever year. The Ravens has used this tactic for years and seems they always get a very good player late.

Too many ready or jumping off the cliff. Great TE class, I am confident we get a better TE in the draft than Hurst.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:55 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Same, young dude and athletic.

Also like Schultz, hooper, tonyan gesecki.

Does anyone really think hurts was substantially better, if at all, than those listed above?

I think the 1st 3 are hurt a decent but, but yes. We probably need 2 quality TE's due to injuries.
Reply/Quote
Maybe to sign another ie safety, they are letting guys like Hurst and Perine go.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: They aren't coming from a culture of winning..... 

One of the key's to the Bengals turn around is their free agents came from teams with playoff success, their draft picks came from college playoff and championship teams.

Signing players from the Bears etc who has never contributed to a team who won more then 4 games is losing a little of that wining culture mindset. 

Bills and Patriots? Not terrible organizations from a culture standpoint.
Reply/Quote
All of this tells me they plan to sign Burrow, Chase, Wilson, Tee and possibly a free agent OT.

Also expect them to sign a free agent safety and corner and possible a TE.

Still very early in free agent season.
Reply/Quote
I think most will feel much better in 2 weeks
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:25 PM)bengals67 Wrote: All of this tells me they plan to sign Burrow, Chase, Wilson, Tee and possibly a free agent OT.

Also expect them to sign a free agent safety and corner and possible a TE.

Still very early in free agent season.

and we wont see any Agree to terms until deals are signed unless a player leaks it.
Reply/Quote
Eagles sign one of their CB's, then forced to cut Slay. Dallas tags Pollard and likely to cut Elliott.

As I said, teams are not just adding guys, they are also cutting players. Cut players do not count against the compensatory draft formula.

To date, we have lost 4 free agents and not signed one. For those who say extra picks are a bad thing because yes they were in the past do to poor drafting, the current group seems to be drafting very well so I will take extra picks to help us keep our cap in line.

KC had a terrible FA in 2022, then hit big on the 2022 draft.

Relax everyone, have faith in our FO.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:26 PM)Garrus Wrote: I think most will feel much better in 2 weeks

Agreed, we have to be patient. Duke has time to add players prior to the draft.

[Image: star-wars-yoda.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: They aren't coming from a culture of winning..... 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but Damien Harris has played for the Patriots his entire career and Devin Singletary the Bills.   The only of those two that have been on a team with losing record was Harris when the Pats went 7-9 in 2020 and 8-9 last year.   So two of his 4 seasons there but even then I would still consider the Patriots a franchise with a culture of winning.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote