Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Next weeks feature, crow.
(03-15-2023, 11:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the pickings are getting slimmer. I'm hoping for it to stay the same.

While I agree, our lbs are going to be better from experience alone, same for CTB and ossai. Outside of safety the defense remains unchanged or will likely improve. Dax hill is an unknown, but I imagine he will fill in just fine (as expected since being our first round pick last year).

Perine and hurst will be replaced.

Really, the only argument to be had is we should be drafting (especially at the top) to make our team better in the same year.

It’s also the reality of being a fan of a small market team with a poor owner (in comparison to other nfl owners)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zac consistently made offenses worse at his OC stops until Joe Burrow was his QB.

But maybe Bill Walsh struggles too without Montana?

Hard to say.

McDaniels, and the hood, without Brady hasn’t delivered much.

Hackett stunk without Rodgers. So much so that it seems like they are screwed if the jets don’t pull off the trade.
Reply/Quote
This weeks feature, crow.

Signing orlando brown to 4 year deal.

Boom

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1636190097484795905
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall turning on Perine is unfortunate. Go back and watch the games he started. Watch his contributions in the post season. Watch his pass protection.....

Last offseason maybe the shade could be thrown his way, but he was our best RB this year and should be respected for his contributions to this team. Same with Bell. These were culture builders and key locker room leaders you guys are just brushing off as replaceable with 5th 6th round picks.

It's going to take any drafted rookie years to get on their level, from a knowledge and leadership standpoint. These are players on a Championship team. You guys act like we losing players from a 4-13, 8-9 team. Who needs them! They are replaceable! A little high on your horses if you ask me.

Put a little respekt on the names of these players that got us to back to back Conference Championship games. Not all teams can say they've done that outside of KC. So it isn't as easy as some act.

Perine was a backup RB that had his chance for more money.  We all get it.  He was limited to gap runs, which led everyone to think he was a more intentional runner than Mixon.

"key locker room leaders" is probably one of the most mid fan takes ever.  Many cried about this regarding CJ last season, and he wasnt a locker room leader.  No doubt Bates and Bell were leaders, but this is a team that has back-to-back long runs and is stacked on defense with leaders.  These are professionals, the team changes every season.  Im sure Pratt & Wilson & Chido & Sam & DJ & Trey & BJ & Hilton are all pondering where the leadership will come from this season.....

You are the only one insinuating these guys will be replaced by 5th & 6th rounders, maybe you put a little "respekt" on other players names?

I do appreciate you telling those of us who have been season ticket holders longer than you have been a fan that going to back-to-back Conference Championship games isnt easy... 

Reply/Quote
Lol at people upset we lost Perine, Hurst, Bell, and Bates.

Bengals sign the best OT on the market and he's 26 years old.
Much better investment than a safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:37 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Lol at people upset we lost Perine, Hurst, Bell, and Bates.

Say it louder for the posters in the back!!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zac consistently made offenses worse at his OC stops until Joe Burrow was his QB.

But maybe Bill Walsh struggles too without Montana?

Hard to say.

Zac was an OC briefly as interim at Miami. But as Jared Goff’s QB coach his first year he had a great year. But Bill Belichick as a head coach sans Tom Brady is barely much over .500. Funny how that works.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This weeks feature, crow.

Signing orlando brown to 4 year deal.

Boom

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1636190097484795905

Title change…. For sure …. This weeks crow…
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Title change…. For sure …. This weeks crow…

Tonight’s feature
Reply/Quote
Kinda silent in this thread since Brown was signed......strange.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like Irv Smith at TE.

[Image: christmas-story-fragile-quote-beautiful-...-quote.gif]

Interesting fact about Irv Smith Jr: He's played exactly the same amount of games that Tyler Eifert did through their first 4 seasons. Of course the last two years were 17 game seasons, so he actually missed 2 more games than Eifert. Dude's missed 26 of the last 34 games, 29 of the last 50. All the injury risk of Tyler Eifert, but none of the size and dominance to tempt you into convincing yourself he'll stay healthy.

I'd rather have a TE with a little less upside and be more reliable in health. He gets injured and we're down to Wilcox or Asiasi again and that's a disaster.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:48 AM)Stewy Wrote: Kinda silent in this thread since Brown was signed......strange.

People think their opinion matters. People have no patience. People hate being wrong.

I propose that next year we pause the board the week of FA to stop ludicrous sky is falling posts. In all seriousness, why do people think that the final roster is set in early March?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: christmas-story-fragile-quote-beautiful-...-quote.gif]

Interesting fact about Irv Smith Jr: He's played exactly the same amount of games that Tyler Eifert did through their first 4 seasons. Of course the last two years were 17 game seasons, so he actually missed 2 more games than Eifert. Dude's missed 26 of the last 34 games, 29 of the last 50. All the injury risk of Tyler Eifert, but none of the size and dominance to tempt you into convincing yourself he'll stay healthy.

I'd rather have a TE with a little less upside and be more reliable in health. He gets injured and we're down to Wilcox or Asiasi again and that's a disaster.

Interesting, thanks.

Austin hooper is who I think we get. His production is eerily similar to hurst. It’s not sexy, but it’s effective, and affordable.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’d like to revisit this in a week to see how many doom and gloomers come back to earth after things have settled down.  

The bengals are not going to not sign any FAs.  They also are not going to over pay.  Let’s be a little patient, the only big loss that wasn’t expected was bell.  But we more or less offset that with Pratt.  

Perine, hurst and bates where all expected to leave or can be easily replaced.

This is a good place for us to be in.  Good teams lose good players every year.

I know it will be tough to swallow (not the crow) and I wasn't a doomsday guy at all, but it WILL be tough to see guys like Perine, Bates, Bell, and Hurst leave because they were not just really good to great players, but they were great character guys, leaders, and team-first players.

I have some great memories of all of them.  However, the ONE BIG THING that absolutely needed to happen was to get a veteran OT.  I had no idea they could get Brown, and I am even more surprised to hear he will play LT.  Orlando Brown will play left tackle: It was important to be able to play that position - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)  Jonah seems like the anti-RT, and Carman didn't fare well on the right side, either.  Although that was a guard and he is clearly a better OT.

They got a huge signing in adding Brown.  There had to be losses elsewhere to make it happen, and there will likely be more (Collins, Mixon).  

Job 1 had to be protect Joe.  Everything else is secondary to that.  

This was a great step to solidifying the offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:29 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: All that is true. But the FO fed the fans BS about the focus being on keeping our guys and then........fails to keep nearly all our significant FAs. And have yet to sign anyone to replace the losses. Gotta expect a little anger/pessimism.

I thought more guys would be back.

No, we don't.  

Look at the production:  

52 receptions for 414 yards and 2 TDs for Hurst.

Perine was a very capable backup RB.  

Bates and Bell were above average safeties.  

If you pain any of them what they got on the open market, it may have prevented you from signing Brown.  It is no contest.  They lost the last two playoff games because they couldn't protect Joe.  They may give up something elsewhere by trying to protect Joe, but I believe it gives them the best chance to win.

I also believe they aren't done and we will see a veteran RB and S signed before the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:37 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Lol at people upset we lost Perine, Hurst, Bell, and Bates.

I think the issue is Bell AND Bates, as opposed to much else. That does leave us with a hole right now... but we did draft with this in mind, and FA also isn't over yet.

Like you say, OT is (on paper) a better investment and clearly the wiser one. We may even be back to back Super Bowl champs had we had a decent OL the past two years. We really aren't missing a lot, but OL was definitely what we were missing. FO knocking it out of the park imo.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall turning on Perine is unfortunate. Go back and watch the games he started. Watch his contributions in the post season. Watch his pass protection.....

Last offseason maybe the shade could be thrown his way, but he was our best RB this year and should be respected for his contributions to this team. Same with Bell. These were culture builders and key locker room leaders you guys are just brushing off as replaceable with 5th 6th round picks.

It's going to take any drafted rookie years to get on their level, from a knowledge and leadership standpoint. These are players on a Championship team. You guys act like we losing players from a 4-13, 8-9 team. Who needs them! They are replaceable! A little high on your horses if you ask me.

Put a little respekt on the names of these players that got us to back to back Conference Championship games. Not all teams can say they've done that outside of KC. So it isn't as easy as some act.

Perine is a very capable backup.  Great guy, but just because your starter sucks at pass protection and Perine excels at it doesn't make him less expendable. 

Perine also tipped a short pass in to the arms of a Titan for a near pick six.  He is far from perfect.  A starting RB that costs less than Mixon and is a better pass protector takes away the predictability of the scheme when either RB is on the field and could provide Mixon's very average YPC or better.  

Younger and faster.  It is always the way.  I wish them all well, but they have earned my trust and I believe the team will be better than last year before it is all said and done. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While I don't think we need doom and gloom...reality is that the Tier 1 and 2 guys are almost all gone.

John Johnson as a SS makes a lot of sense.  Browns screwed him up playing him at FS.  He was a damn good SS.  Could be a steal in the "replace Bell" mode.  Was an 85 PFF ranking when he was with the Rams.  Taylor was with the Rams at that time, so there are "ties".  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’d like to revisit this in a week to see how many doom and gloomers come back to earth after things have settled down.  

The bengals are not going to not sign any FAs.  They also are not going to over pay.  Let’s be a little patient, the only big loss that wasn’t expected was bell.  But we more or less offset that with Pratt.  

Perine, hurst and bates where all expected to leave or can be easily replaced.

This is a good place for us to be in.  Good teams lose good players every year.

This aged well
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote