Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Fairley
Should we make another run at Nick Fairley? Apparently Nick Fairley was #1 in PFF for DTs that played less than 500 snaps. He played around 400 snaps.

I think he could be what we wanted to make this d-line, a top 3 d-line.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617476-the-most-underrated-nfl-free-agents-on-the-market-in-2016/page/5
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:28 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Should we make another run at Nick Fairley? Apparently Nick Fairley was #1 in PFF for DTs that played less than 500 snaps. He played around 400 snaps.

I think he could be what we wanted to make this d-line, a top 3 d-line.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617476-the-most-underrated-nfl-free-agents-on-the-market-in-2016/page/5

If the money is there to do it, sure.  I think we need a good coverage backer to start (like a Trevathan), but if you have the coin to pick up a guy like that and Fairley, why not?  Talk about a scary defense! I think the time is now and next year to really make a push for the Super Bowl.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the DT class is really top loaded in this draft. I'd rather draft a cheaper younger talent on the DL and spend the FA money on Jones, Iloka and a LB
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think the DT class is really top loaded in this draft. I'd rather draft a cheaper younger talent on the DL and spend the FA money on Jones, Iloka and a LB

This.

Was Fairley really that good this year?  I know he played on a great D-line, so maybe that is why he played so few snaps.  

Either way this is the year to draft DT.  Spend free agent money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think the DT class is really top loaded in this draft. I'd rather draft a cheaper younger talent on the DL and spend the FA money on Jones, Iloka and a LB

While true, wonder what Fairley will command?  It may not be too high....and there is room along the line to free up some money isn't there?

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: While true, wonder what Fairley will command?  It may not be too high....and there is room along the line to free up some money isn't there?

Sure but you also have to find roster spots.
He's 28.

You are gonna get maybe 2 more good years out of him before he hits the age wall. 

I'd much rather forgo him all together and look at Sheldon Rankins, Robert Nkemdiche, Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings, A'Shawn Robinson....20-21 year olds who will be cost controlled for 5 years. Give me that every time. 

Will all of those guys be hits? No, but they all have traits that make you think they can be super stars. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure but you also have to find roster spots.
He's 28.

You are gonna get maybe 2 more good years out of him before he hits the age wall. 

I'd much rather forgo him all together and look at Sheldon Rankins, Robert Nkemdiche, Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings, A'Shawn Robinson....20-21 year olds who will be cost controlled for 5 years. Give me that every time. 

Will all of those guys be hits? No, but they all have traits that make you think they can be super stars. 

Then again. Our window of opportunity is now. If a player isn't worth it in 2 years it shouldn't matter because we should win the superbowl in 1 of those 2 years.

(Not saying we should get Fairly, just thinking maybe the "plan for the future" logic needs to be put aside for 2 seasons)
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Then again. Our window of opportunity is now. If a player isn't worth it in 2 years it shouldn't matter because we should win the superbowl in 1 of those 2 years.

(Not saying we should get Fairly, just thinking maybe the "plan for the future" logic needs to be put aside for 2 seasons)

This is kind of my thoughts.....let's get a good, not way over the hill FA this season, and maybe another decent one, sign our own good ones, and see what happens.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Then again. Our window of opportunity is now. If a player isn't worth it in 2 years it shouldn't matter because we should win the superbowl in 1 of those 2 years.

(02-19-2016, 03:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is kind of my thoughts.....let's get a good, not way over the hill FA this season, and maybe another decent one, sign our own good ones, and see what happens.

I kind of disagree this is our "window" the core is still signed. 
And when you look at the age of Geno and Dunlap, it makes more sense to add a YOUNG defensive tackle to get ready and become the lynchpin of the defense, to keep the train rolling
Reply/Quote

We can make our window of opportunity last longer than that.. drafting well, sound contract agreements, why not be competitive every year
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I kind of disagree this is our "window" the core is still signed. 
And when you look at the age of Geno and Dunlap, it makes more sense to add a YOUNG defensive tackle to get ready and become the lynchpin of the defense, to keep the train rolling

I think it depends on how many of our own we get inked.....still say we need a good backer, a guy like Fairley would be icing on the cake.  With injuries, the trend of guys retiring early, etc, you never know how long that window will remain open.

Reply/Quote
I just don't think Fairley is that good.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just don't think Fairley is that good.

He is the Andre Smith of DT's IMO
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just don't think Fairley is that good.

Fair enough....but I would have to think he's better than guys like Thompson, and maybe even Peko....the price would definitely have to be right.  I would categorize him as one of those mid tier FAs folks clamor for on here.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think it depends on how many of our own we get inked.....still say we need a good backer, a guy like Fairley would be icing on the cake.  With injuries, the trend of guys retiring early, etc, you never know how long that window will remain open.

I think you are vastly overrating the impact of a 28 year old DT.
DT is where you get younger. 

Signing Fairley means we probably failed in signing Jones back and WR now becomes a top need. 
But you and I both know, you win through the trenches.

You get younger and better on the DL.
add a vet WR. 

This is not the draft class for some silly moral victory of them signing a "name" FA
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think you are vastly overrating the impact of a 28 year old DT.
DT is where you get younger. 

Signing Fairley means we probably failed in signing Jones back and WR now becomes a top need. 
But you and I both know, you win through the trenches.

You get younger and better on the DL.
add a vet WR. 

This is not the draft class for some silly moral victory of them signing a "name" FA

Then why did we extend Peko? Ninja

I get what you're saying, but if you can improve a position at a reasonable price, why not?  It's not a moral victory in my book, it's trying to find a way to finally win one of those damn playoff games.  Our current method hasn't panned out....and I'm all for getting a vet WR.  We're discussing potential FAs, Fairley ain't terrible, and while getting younger is the idea, we can't wait on another "development", imo.

Speaking of names, the Rams just cut Lauraintitis (sp?)....was he playing anywhere near decent anymore?  Cut DE Long too.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Then why did we extend Peko? Ninja

I get what you're saying, but if you can improve a position at a reasonable price, why not?  It's not a moral victory in my book, it's trying to find a way to finally win one of those damn playoff games.  Our current method hasn't panned out....and I'm all for getting a vet WR.  We're discussing potential FAs, Fairley ain't terrible, and while getting younger is the idea, we can't wait on another "development", imo.

Speaking of names, the Rams just cut Lauraintitis (sp?)....was he playing anywhere near decent anymore?  Cut DE Long too.

I don't see it as an improvement because it means they won't address it in the draft. And I'm not joking when I say this would be the WORST year to do that in awhile. 
CBS has 6 true DTs in the top 32. 8 in the top 40.
That doesn't include hybrid or guys who played 5T in college. 
It's a lateral step if anything to add a DT in FA right now. 

Laurenitis is a fringe improvement over Hawk/VRey at best.
Long I would take to get rid of the abomination that is Hunt/Clarke as our back up DEs and I think out of Fisher's system he could still be of use.
This years DE class is not great. So I would accept FA there. 
Reply/Quote
I say we sign Fairley, many of us were excited last year when he was visiting but Bengals got too busy with signing MJ and didn't get to sign Fairley.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:19 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I say we sign Fairley, many of us were excited last year when he was visiting but Bengals got too busy with signing MJ and didn't get to sign Fairley.

Well another rumor was we had different ideas on the contract. A lot of DTs took 1 year deals in hopes of the free agent money increasing for DTs this year. I believe we were offering a multi year deal, but the money wasn't close to what he wanted.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I don't see it as an improvement because it means they won't address it in the draft. And I'm not joking when I say this would be the WORST year to do that in awhile. 
CBS has 6 true DTs in the top 32. 8 in the top 40.
That doesn't include hybrid or guys who played 5T in college. 
It's a lateral step if anything to add a DT in FA right now. 

Laurenitis is a fringe improvement over Hawk/VRey at best.
Long I would take to get rid of the abomination that is Hunt/Clarke as our back up DEs and I think out of Fisher's system he could still be of use.
This years DE class is not great. So I would accept FA there. 

Our difference?  You're looking at the future, I'm looking at now.  If you get a gamechanger type in the draft, that would be a different scenario vs another question mark though, agree on that.

I hadn't kept up with anything Rams, so had no idea how Laurenaitis had played lately.

Reply/Quote