Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Fairley
(02-19-2016, 05:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Our difference?  You're looking at the future, I'm looking at now.  If you get a gamechanger type in the draft, that would be a different scenario vs another question mark though, agree on that.

I hadn't kept up with anything Rams, so had no idea how Laurenaitis had played lately.

Fairley isn't so good he will push us over any edge. 

I'm not just looking future. I'm looking at now and the future.
You seem to be under the impression they are mutually exclusive. I do not. 

If you want a FA, sign Danny Trevathan. Get decisively better at a position. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 06:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Fairley isn't so good he will push us over any edge. 

I'm not just looking future. I'm looking at now and the future.
You seem to be under the impression they are mutually exclusive. I do not. 

If you want a FA, sign Danny Trevathan. Get decisively better at a position. 

Definitely agree there.  Like I said though, if Fairley comes cheap, a solid guy in rotation may play a little better than he is.  He was pretty good lined up with Suh in MoTown....a little extra push up the middle may or may not be what gets us there.  It's all speculation.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think the DT class is really top loaded in this draft. I'd rather draft a cheaper younger talent on the DL and spend the FA money on Jones, Iloka and a LB

The problem with that line of thinking is that it usually takes a little while for a DT to get up to full speed.  I don't think a rookie would make much of an impact.

I would take a long look at Fairley AND add another DT in the first 2 rounds.  Peko isn't going to be around much longer, Thompson has an injury and Sims is a free agent.  Need to do both.

Fairly would be perfect.  Imagine him and Geno rushing the passer on 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 06:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The problem with that line of thinking is that it usually takes a little while for a DT to get up to full speed.  I don't think a rookie would make much of an impact.

I would take a long look at Fairley AND add another DT in the first 2 rounds.  Peko isn't going to be around much longer, Thompson has an injury and Sims is a free agent.  Need to do both.

Fairly would be perfect.  Imagine him and Geno rushing the passer on 3rd downs.

With Hardison on roster and their dedication to Peko, they won't sign a DT and draft one. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 06:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: With Hardison on roster and their dedication to Peko, they won't sign a DT and draft one. 

Thompson gone and Sims possibly out the door?

That leaves 2 open roster spots.  It's not out of the question by any stretch.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 12:53 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Thompson gone and Sims possibly out the door?

Possibly. Who knows what they do. 
I would like to think so, and I'd prefer to just double dip at DT
Reply/Quote
The second you pay Fairley, he'll turd out again. Think Albert Haynesworth or Andre Smith.

He also has troubles staying healthy.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: This is not the draft class for some silly moral victory of them signing a "name" FA

True, but after seeing what the Broncos accomplished I'm pretty sure 32 of 32 NFL teams are thinking "DRAFT PASS RUSH....WIN IT ALL!!!!!" right now.  Perhaps there are enough super amazing, super cheap 23 year old pass rushers to go around.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 01:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but after seeing what the Broncos accomplished I'm pretty sure 32 of 32 NFL teams are thinking "DRAFT PASS RUSH....WIN IT ALL!!!!!" right now.  Perhaps there are enough super amazing, super cheap 23 year old pass rushers to go around.

Let them. This DE class sucks. I was thinking something closer to Carolina...they took Star and Kawaan 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 12:53 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Thompson gone and Sims possibly out the door?

That's where I'm at.  Getting Fairley or any FA at the right price doesn't preclude them from drafting a DT early by any means.  This is a team that basically redshirted Hardison, Thompson and Still so it wouldn't be shocking if a rookie DT was the 5th guy and didn't dress unless there was an injury.  I don't see it as a question of Cincy wanting Fairley (right price only), but Fairley may not see Cincy as the best choice.  He may be back to showcasing himself if he still doesn't like his offers, and with the cap going up maybe another team gives him a bit more guaranteed money because remember Cincy will look to take care of their own.  Fairley wouldn't stop them from drafting a DT high, but the plan of drafting a DT high may limit the length of the deal they'd offer. 
Reply/Quote
The only DE that fits what the Bengals do is Emmanuel Ogbah. Maybe Shaq Lawson does too. Oakman is an enigma (does he even like football?) but might be there at the end of the 3rd.

Bengals have Hardison who was on the roster but inactive last year and would back up Geno at the 3-technique, and DeShawn Williams who, if he's ready (the Bengals will accurately make that determination) could rotate at the NT/1-technique with Peko. There's still a DT spot open at that point and the Bengals should take one of the top ones in the 1st round. It's a great, deep draft for DTs this year. I'd also suggest they take Reader at the end of the draft and put him on the PS for a year to have as an option for next year.
Reply/Quote
Fairly was health ;last year but played less than 40% of the snaps for the Rams. He had 29 tkls and 0.5 sack. In 2014 he had a total of 14 tackles and 1 sack.

He is all hype and no production.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 01:15 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Possibly. Who knows what they do. 
I would like to think so, and I'd prefer to just double dip at DT

I'd be fine with this, but only if the second DT is Round 6/7. This DT class is deep, so there is a good chance a good DT is there in the 6th or 7th.

I'd also be fine with just one DT drafted because I think DeShawn Williams has a shot to make the roster this year. He showed enough last year to be a rotational interior pass rusher.

Personally, I'd rather see two WRs drafted over two DTs. Even if MLJ re-signs, there'd still be an opening for Sanu and (hopefully) Tate. I don't think the team would sign an outside FA if MLJ were to re-sign.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think the DT class is really top loaded in this draft. I'd rather draft a cheaper younger talent on the DL and spend the FA money on Jones, Iloka and a LB

We aren't loaded at DT. We've got Geno (good), Peko (average and getting up in years) and then.... not much. We're an injury away from Pat Sims being our best option to pressure the passer, and realistically a couple years away from Peko retiring.

The draft isn't guaranteed. Who knows how many picks before we find somebody worth starting. I'd sign Fairley and draft a replacement. If we get lucky, we're set on the line for a few years regardless of an injury or two. If we don't, we draft another lineman and keep plugging away.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 11:29 AM)Benton Wrote: We aren't loaded at DT. We've got Geno (good), Peko (average and getting up in years) and then.... not much. We're an injury away from Pat Sims being our best option to pressure the passer, and realistically a couple years away from Peko retiring.

The draft isn't guaranteed. Who knows how many picks before we find somebody worth starting. I'd sign Fairley and draft a replacement. If we get lucky, we're set on the line for a few years regardless of an injury or two. If we don't, we draft another lineman and keep plugging away.

Nick Fairley isn't guaranteed. He's always been a "yeah but" player. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be fine with this, but only if the second DT is Round 6/7. This DT class is deep, so there is a good chance a good DT is there in the 6th or 7th.

I'd also be fine with just one DT drafted because I think DeShawn Williams has a shot to make the roster this year. He showed enough last year to be a rotational interior pass rusher.

Personally, I'd rather see two WRs drafted over two DTs. Even if MLJ re-signs, there'd still be an opening for Sanu and (hopefully) Tate. I don't think the team would sign an outside FA if MLJ were to re-sign.

One WR can replace Sanu and Tate. 
If you need 2 WR to do that, you drafted wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: One WR can replace Sanu and Tate. 
If you need 2 WR to do that, you drafted wrong. 

What does this even mean?

We are never going to run any 3 WR sets?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this even mean?

We are never going to run any 3 WR sets?

Tate is never in 3 WR sets.
The production from Sanu and Tate can be matched by one WR. 

A WR who can play slot and return. 

Now you have an available roster spot for someone else if you so choose, not one wasted on a guy whose only value is not fumbling a return 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Nick Fairley isn't guaranteed. He's always been a "yeah but" player. 

As in, 'yeah but I'd still rather have him in the mix with Peko than most of the rest of the guys on our depth chart.'

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 01:07 PM)Benton Wrote: As in, 'yeah but I'd still rather have him in the mix with Peko than most of the rest of the guys on our depth chart.'

Mellow

Or as "yeah but is he actually going to try and play this week or just go through the motions"

I'd rather draft Sheldon Rankins at 24 and get a player who is probably better vs the run and has higher upside pass rushing. 
Reply/Quote