Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Fairley
(02-25-2016, 07:41 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Clarke as the third DE would put us in some serious trouble. 

We need to give Clarke another year to see what he really has, but at this point I don't want to go into this season with him as our third DE.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need to give Clarke another year to see what he really has, but at this point I don't want to go into this season with him as our third DE.
I agree.  I think that if the team has no intention of drafting a DE early, then re-signing Gilberry should be a no-brainer.  He's probably not going to cost a lot and is still more effective than Hunt or Clarke.  He's a pretty good backup, really.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need to give Clarke another year to see what he really has, but at this point I don't want to go into this season with him as our third DE.

I don't see why we "need" to.
This isn't like MJ when he got jockeyed around from DE to LB and back.

He's a gym rat who can't really translate anything to the field. 

If we add a few ends via draft and FA, I don't see why he should be protected. 
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 02:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I don't see why we "need" to.

Will Clarke has been such a non-factor that i forgot for a moment that last year was not his rookies season.

Many players make big gains after their rookie season, but after two seasons there usually isn't a huge leap.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Will Clarke has been such a non-factor that i forgot for a moment that last year was not his rookies season.

Many players make big gains after their rookie season, but after two seasons there usually isn't a huge leap.

Well Guenther is trying his best to motivate Clarke and Hunt. He said that if you've shown nothing by year 3, then you're in his "I'm looking to replace you," zone.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 02:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I don't see why we "need" to.

I honestly wish we'd start cutting guys like Clarke sooner. I've seen some guys get cut after 1-2 years since the new CBA, but the Bengals still keep disappointing draft picks for several years before admitting the mistake. 

I don't see what Clarke is going to learn in his 3rd year that is going to get him on the field. It would help the team more to cut bait and get someone on the 53 that can actually contribute. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly wish we'd start cutting guys like Clarke sooner. I've seen some guys get cut after 1-2 years since the new CBA, but the Bengals still keep disappointing draft picks for several years before admitting the mistake. 

I don't see what Clarke is going to learn in his 3rd year that is going to get him on the field. It would help the team more to cut bait and get someone on the 53 that can actually contribute. 

The first step is to get rid of their myopic idea of what a DE is. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:28 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Should we make another run at Nick Fairley? Apparently Nick Fairley was #1 in PFF for DTs that played less than 500 snaps. He played around 400 snaps.

I think he could be what we wanted to make this d-line, a top 3 d-line.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617476-the-most-underrated-nfl-free-agents-on-the-market-in-2016/page/5

I definately would not be against it. Very deep draft for DT's but we need 2 more IMO.

Peko is getting old and we need competition behind Geno. Sims is probably gone and it is not like Thompson
has been lighting the world on fire or anything. I liked a bit what i saw from Hardison and Deshaun last
Preseason but we should either Draft 2 more DT's or get a guy like Fairley in FA and a DT in the Draft ideally.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The first step is to get rid of their myopic idea of what a DE is. 

Well I'm sure we've missed out on some really good pass-rushers because they're not 6'7" 280 lbs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
well I really didn't mean to derail the thread for a whole page based off this post that was taken out of context, likely accidentally:

"I'd be fine with those two picks (maybe both by the 4th round realistically), but they'll retain Gilberry or sign a vet for stability. I'm sure they like what they see in Clark and Hardison but they also liked Hunt, Thompson and Still. I'd almost trust Clark as the 3rd DE today, but they'll have another vet body in there. "

RoyleRedlegs "Clarke as the third DE would put us in some serious trouble."

Keeping it in context, it was a reply to going DL twice early. I'm fine with it, but even if you draft a DE you're going to need a vet DE because they tend to bring them along slowly. In comparison to the other young DL's, Clarke is close (hence the phrase almost) to being a 3rd DE but you're going to need another vet body at DE for stability. You don't let Gilberry walk and not replace him with a vet. You also want stability at DT, so back on topic I'm fine with Fairley although his price would mean you likely cut Peko....and I don't see Cincy doing that. It just sounds like a lot of assets (Peko's contract, Fairley's deal and a likely high-mid round pick based on how deep the draft is) to have at NT basically. Fairley may not be the fit for Cincy, but another vet DT should be there as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The first step is to get rid of their myopic idea of what a DE is. 

Guess you missed Chris Carter getting some snaps this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly wish we'd start cutting guys like Clarke sooner. I've seen some guys get cut after 1-2 years since the new CBA, but the Bengals still keep disappointing draft picks for several years before admitting the mistake. 

Pretty much every draft pick deserves at least 2 years.  There might be some exceptions, but they are very rare.

After a guy has spent two years in an NFL weight program and learning the schemes it is hard to find a rookie that can just step in and replace him.  But all you have to do is look at Devin Still, Orson Charles, Dontay Moch, Chase Coffman, and many others to see what the Bengals do with draft picks that can't cut it.  It is absurd to claim that we keep them around for "several years".
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I agree. Hunt should have been cut last year during training camp cut downs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 12:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, I agree. Hunt should have been cut last year during training camp cut downs.

Maybe there just was not a better player available who was not on another teams roster.  Do you know of anyone specifically who would have been better?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. Pretty much every draft pick deserves at least 2 years.  There might be some exceptions, but they are very rare.

2. After a guy has spent two years in an NFL weight program and learning the schemes it is hard to find a rookie that can just step in and replace him.  3. But all you have to do is look at Devin Still, Orson Charles, Dontay Moch, Chase Coffman, and many others to see what the Bengals do with draft picks that can't cut it.  It is absurd to claim that we keep them around for "several years".

1. We agree on 2 years. If a player can barely sniff the field after 2 years, 90% of the time that player is never going to amount to anything in the NFL.

2. It's not hard to replace a player who isn't doing anything. Margus Hunt played 57 snaps last year. Will Clarke played 100. You don't think a rookie is capable of handling that? Aside from the many rookies who started or contributed heavily during Marv's tenure, we've had countless rookies who played 100 snaps or more.

3. Here's some players they've kept too long during Marv's tenure:

Chris Perry- 5 years
Caleb Miller- 4 years
Eric Ghiaciuc- 4 years
Jerome Simpson- 4 years
Caldwell- 4 years
Jason Shirley- 3 years
Brandon Ghee- 4 years
Margus Hunt- 3+ years

And it's a safe bet that Clarke will make the 53 this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 01:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. It's not hard to replace a player who isn't doing anything. Margus Hunt played 57 snaps last year. Will Clarke played 100. You don't think a rookie is capable of handling that? Aside from the many rookies who started or contributed heavily during Marv's tenure, we've had countless rookies who played 100 snaps or more.

Here is where we disagree.  I don't know why any coaching staff would keep players if better players are available.  You claim there were players better than hunt last year and I asked who they were.  You can't just answer with "anybody".  Generally guys on the street are not as good as guys on NFL rosters.

Just because you can plug in any DE to play snaps that does not mean they are all equally good. 
Reply/Quote