Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No 3rd Trial for Tensing

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-18-2017, 02:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

I never heard.  What was the split on the vote with the two juries?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-18-2017, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I never heard.  What was the split on the vote with the two juries?

1st Trial: All I could find numbers-wise was 4 thought he was guilty of murder, 4 thought he was guilty of manslaughter, and 4 thought he was innocent.
2nd Trial: 8-4 innocent for murder, 7-5 innocent for manslaughter

Only reason I followed this case that closely was I have a brother-in-law who is a firefighter, so he's been on alert/on call any time this case has something going on for it. Thankfully it's been peaceful protests.

Deters overcharged but maybe since everyone knows this, the government can step in and try Tensing for violating DuBose's Civil Rights.

Tensing is guilty and should do time.
(07-18-2017, 05:05 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Deters overcharged but maybe since everyone knows this, the government can step in and try Tensing for violating DuBose's Civil Rights.

Tensing is guilty and should do time.

See, this is where I am torn. He certainly didn't seem 100% innocent, but probably not murder charges guilty. He was charged with murder because there would have been riots if he was charged with involuntary manslaughter or something lesser. People can't be upset if he was undercharged, while also being upset that they didn't get a conviction when he was overcharged.

That said you can't just keep trying the man over, and over, and over until he either you bankrupt him and he can't afford to legally defend himself, or you finally get the jury decision you want after a dozen or so attempts. That's not how the justice system is supposed to work. (Yes, I know the justice system is F'd anyway, but I am speaking ideally here.)

(07-18-2017, 04:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1st Trial: All I could find numbers-wise was 4 thought he was guilty of murder, 4 thought he was guilty of manslaughter, and 4 thought he was innocent.
2nd Trial: 8-4 innocent for murder, 7-5 innocent for manslaughter

Only reason I followed this case that closely was I have a brother-in-law who is a firefighter, so he's been on alert/on call any time this case has something going on for it. Thankfully it's been peaceful protests.

oh wow.  I thought maybe there were one or two holdouts.  No wonder he isn't going to go for a third time.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-18-2017, 05:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: oh wow.  I thought maybe there were one or two holdouts.  No wonder he isn't going to go for a third time.  

Nah, it wasn't like it was 1-2 people in confederate trucker hats, with mullets, listening to Kid Rock... who were F'ing everything up.

After roughly a million dollars spent with two mistrials, I understand why they wont go for a 3rd one.

But this is what burns me on this. If this would have been any one of us, black or white, doing the shooting exactly like this but not a cop, we would have been found guilty. But because he was a cop, he will get off scotfree.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-18-2017, 05:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: See, this is where I am torn. He certainly didn't seem 100% innocent, but probably not murder charges guilty. He was charged with murder because there would have been riots if he was charged with involuntary manslaughter or something lesser. People can't be upset if he was undercharged, while also being upset that they didn't get a conviction when he was overcharged.

That said you can't just keep trying the man over, and over, and over until he either you bankrupt him and he can't afford to legally defend himself, or you finally get the jury decision you want after a dozen or so attempts. That's not how the justice system is supposed to work. (Yes, I know the justice system is F'd anyway, but I am speaking ideally here.)

I really haven't kept up with the case that much. To me, it seemed like the driver was at fault since he was trying to flee with a police officer hanging onto his car, which is not a good idea. But to the bold, charges are a lot like buying a car: you tend to start at one extreme and work your way down due to the prevalence of pleas. 
(07-18-2017, 05:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: After roughly a million dollars spent with two mistrials, I understand why they wont go for a 3rd one.

But this is what burns me on this. If this would have been any one of us, black or white, doing the shooting exactly like this but not a cop, we would have been found guilty. But because he was a cop, he will get off scotfree.

Of course you would, Mill, because the very first question they would ask would be "Sir, why did you, a private citizen, pull the man over and ask him for his license and registration?" and you would have no legitimate answer, because you're not a police officer.

(07-18-2017, 05:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I really haven't kept up with the case that much. To me, it seemed like the driver was at fault since he was trying to flee with a police officer hanging onto his car, which is not a good idea. But to the bold, charges are a lot like buying a car: you tend to start at one extreme and work your way down due to the prevalence of pleas. 

They apparently offered him a plea deal for lesser charges during the 2nd trial, and he didn't take it.