Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Go Joe
(08-22-2021, 08:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: …yet that’s why the Bengals drafted Ja’Marr Chase: His ability to create separation. Even a cursory look at his film from LSU shows he was outstanding in this effort.

I’m not arguing or debating with you; I agree with you in principle. To me the criteria for selecting a wide receiver are discipline in route running, catch radius, and straight line speed.

I don’t know about separation, but I know they drafted him to stretch the field. He and Burrow had the best long ball connection when playing at LSU and last year we had no deep threat, AJ was useless downfield. I notice ZT is showing no cards in the preseason with all these routes he has Ja’Marr running. Hopefully he gets some confidence with the hands, but he is not going to be a quick slant time and time again type of guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Damn, wish he had "set the standard" a little higher than 2 wins in 10 games.

You have to wonder if someone like Patrick Mahommes is disappointed he didn't get to walk into a system that was so dysfunctional that it had to place the resurrection of the entire franchise upon his shoulders the day they drafted him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Damn, wish he had "set the standard" a little higher than 2 wins in 10 games.

Argh

Tied Carson's win total in 2010 in less games and as a rookie. Now if Joe goes 2-14 in year 7...then he didn't set a standard. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 12:58 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Tied Carson's win total in 2010 in less games and as a rookie. Now if Joe goes 2-14 in year 7...then he didn't set a standard. 

Carson and the Bengals won 4 games in 2010.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 12:58 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Tied Carson's win total in 2010 in less games and as a rookie. Now if Joe goes 2-14 in year 7...then he didn't set a standard. 

Palmer won twice as many games in 2010 as Joe did last year.

And before that 2010 season Palmer had a winning record and two division titles under his belt.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Carson and the Bengals won 4 games in 2010.

well, that changes everything.  I'm sure Burrow could have got 4 if he remained healthy. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Palmer won twice as many games in 2010 as Joe did last year.

And before that 2010 season Palmer had a winning record and two division titles under his belt.

We don't know how Carson would have done as a rookie because he wasn't ready 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:27 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: well, that changes everything.  I'm sure Burrow could have got 4 if he remained healthy. 

And a win under ZT should really count as 2 anyway lol.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 01:28 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: We don't know how Carson would have done as a rookie because he wasn't ready 

I guess it doesn't really matter, though.  You think people care that Sam Darnold started as a rookie and Patrick Mahommes sat for 15 games in year 1?  Palmer probably could have won 2 games in 2003, but yea, we never will know.

We do know Palmer played well following both of his major knee injuries and he was a top 3 QB in his 2nd year starting and his 3 year in the league.  I wouldn't mind Burrow channeling some Palmer in those aspects, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 07:51 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Yes, he really wanted out.  That is for sure.  But he didn't walk in day one and take complete control of the team and set the standard like Joe has.  

He wanted changes so they could compete for a Super Bowl championship. He only wanted out after Mike Brown refused to commit to winning.

How many people do you know who risked their career to get the boss to make a positive change for the better? I don’t know any. And it sure wasn’t Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 11:08 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I don't think Joe has control of the team, just that he has a real chance to change the culture or mindset of the team like tom and Peyton do. 

Yeah, a HOF QB goes a long way, but I’d say the major difference in culture and mindset between those franchises is ownership and the general manager.
Reply/Quote
Damn, our boy ain’t even notable…

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 11:34 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: I don’t know about separation, but I know they drafted him to stretch the field. He and Burrow had the best long ball connection when playing at LSU and last year we had no deep threat, AJ was useless downfield. I notice ZT is showing no cards in the preseason with all these routes he has Ja’Marr running. Hopefully he gets some confidence with the hands, but he is not going to be a quick slant time and time again type of guy.

Pretty easy to show no cards when you have none.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Damn, our boy ain’t even notable…

Probably have little faith he’s going to make a difference enough this year to waste a breath. Or, that he’s a Bengal. Either way, I hope he kicks ass.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 11:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Probably have little faith he’s going to make a difference enough this year to waste a breath. Or, that he’s a Bengal. Either way, I hope he kicks ass.

Well, Daniel freaking Jones is apparently “notable.” But hey, he plays in NY…

Reply/Quote

He's already forgotten by the NFL pundits. Sad
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 01:06 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: He's already forgotten by the NFL pundits. Sad

He’s officially a Bengal
Reply/Quote

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the reason he's not on there is because most people already assumed he wouldn't be playing this preseason.  If you notice, Deshaun Watson isn't on there either and he was a top 5 QB last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 09:17 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the reason he's not on there is because most people already assumed he wouldn't be playing this preseason.  If you notice, Deshaun Watson isn't on there either and he was a top 5 QB last year.

After Ossai and Sample, I'd just as soon Burrow doesn't play until Minnesota. Latest reports are he's looking great in camp, I see no reason to risk it.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 07:51 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Yes, he really wanted out.  That is for sure.  But he didn't walk in day one and take complete control of the team and set the standard like Joe has.  

(08-23-2021, 11:08 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I don't think Joe has control of the team, just that he has a real chance to change the culture or mindset of the team like tom and Peyton do. 

Confused

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote