Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
No Preseason Snaps for Some Bengals?
Some of our big name players did not play at all during preseason, will this be an issue for the first 2-3 games? Not sure how practice equates to real game experience, (if you want to call preseason real game experience). Not sure how they could be ready to go if they did not really see any other competition besides their own team.

Does it matter?
Reply/Quote
This has become a pretty common practice league-wide. Franchises are realizing that any gains from putting your starters in preseason games (e.g., "rehearsal" value) are outweighed by the potential injury risks. So they just don't play them anymore.

I think it's the right choice, and I don't really think it'll make a meaningful difference in the opener or beyond. If the Bengals look flat, many will blame the lack of preseason reps -- but nah. Sometimes you just look flat.
Reply/Quote
Is it that hard to understand that in a game as violent as football, a team would rather sit there important pieces for fear of a season ending injury in a game that means absolutely nothing?

I’d rather not have seen Dax Hill out there too.
Reply/Quote
Every single starter will be on the field Sunday, in good health too. Benefit outweighs risk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 03:39 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Is it that hard to understand that in a game as violent as football, a team would rather sit there important pieces for fear of a season ending injury in a game that means absolutely nothing?

I’d rather not have seen Dax Hill out there too.

game means nothing.. the reps dont
Reply/Quote
If this group wasn't as talented and mature as they are I'd be a bit nervous. But nah, the boys will be ready to go and take care of business starting Sunday.

And like others have rightfully stated: the most important thing is they are coming into Week 1 healthy.
Reply/Quote
Not concerned.. it's league wide issue at this point. So in my eyes everyone is on the same playing field.

Little benefit and massive risk to the season
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
The Rams have done this for a while now, that is where Taylor kind of got it from. This is the new NFL where avoiding injury is one of the main factors to a successful season.
Reply/Quote
If a player can't practice during training camp/pre-season then that can be an issue.

But pre-season game snaps are not a lot different from the reps they get in practice.
Reply/Quote
I'm not too concerned either the preseason seems to be a different speed anyway so players have to get adjusted no matter if they play or not. Also rookies played which would be the players you would be more concerned with.

I will say with as up and down as I have been with Zac during his tenure thus far. I think he has done a good job with keeping guys healthy by not putting extra wear and tear on guys with heavier practices. I know injuries happen during games and it's unavoidable but it certainly helps to let guys get rest if they need it.
Reply/Quote
If there's any element of the game that could be impacted by this, it'd probably be tackling. We'll have to hope the starters are ready to wrap up, and even if they're imperfect in that regard it's an issue that may impact both teams. The Steelers' defensive starters did play a little in preseason (and TJ Watt had an injury scare).
Reply/Quote
Im wondering how ready Bates is. If he's not looking great out there week one then I'm all for yanking him and letting Dax take his snaps. Dax has looked great so far.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 06:10 PM)treee Wrote: Im wondering how ready Bates is. If he's not looking great out there week one then I'm all for yanking him and letting Dax take his snaps. Dax has looked great so far.

I'd prefer a vet who has proven himself over the last 4 years would get a longer leash, compared to a rookie who has played a couple preseason games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 03:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: game means nothing.. the reps dont

More teams would rather give there star players reps when it counts it seems. I’m glad the Bengals feel the same way
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 09:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd prefer a vet who has proven himself over the last 4 years would get a longer leash, compared to a rookie who has played a couple preseason games. 

We'll see. If he's off to a bad start again like last year I hope they waste no time trying Dax with the 1s. 
Reply/Quote
The only spot I would even consider getting worried about a lack of preseason reps is the OL. I wish they had at least gotten a couple drives together this preseason just because of how many new starters there are there. None of those guys have played even 1 game snap together with ANY of the other starters, let alone all of the other starters.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 06:08 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: If there's any element of the game that could be impacted by this, it'd probably be tackling. We'll have to hope the starters are ready to wrap up, and even if they're imperfect in that regard it's an issue that may impact both teams. The Steelers' defensive starters did play a little in preseason (and TJ Watt had an injury scare).

Tomlin ran an old school type camp this year, complete with tackling to the ground and played his starters for extended periods in the pre-season games. He got VERY lucky he did not lose Watt for the season with that knee. I prefer the Rams/Bengals model of keeping everyone healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 05:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: The Rams have done this for a while now, that is where Taylor kind of got it from. This is the new NFL where avoiding injury is one of the main factors to a successful season.

Beat me to it. The Rams do it, and they're geniuses, we do it, and everyone questions it. I don't get it.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If a player can't practice during training camp/pre-season then that can be an issue.

But pre-season game snaps are not a lot different from the reps they get in practice.

Yep, especially when you consider the two days of joint practice with the Rams.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I think it all comes down to what kind of team you have for this to work. We have a vast majority of players returning who know the system and are used to playing with each other. (get your mind out of the gutter) Therefore, the players don't need to play in meaningless games, which gives the coaches even more time to evaluate the fringe guys and guys who will make the team via Special Teams. Now if you had a large roster turnover and a lot of rookies going to start, then you might need to play them some.
Reply/Quote