Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No civil war over first round pick this year.
(03-04-2022, 11:35 PM)Tony Wrote: I think Raimann might be our best option at 31... Any  chance the take a DB at 31 if they don't think Raimann is the guy?

I like Zion, Tyler Smith, Linderbaum, Booth, Elam and Gordon better than Raimann honestly.

Booth, Elam and Gordon are definite possibilities especially if we get an OT in Free Agency.

Kiper has us taking Gordon at 31 in his Mock today.
Reply/Quote

I’m all for this. I know there will be a certain faction that wants to go OL there no matter what, but the chances of the BPA at 31 being a defensive player are pretty high, imo. I still say flip the script from what we’ve been doing the last few years: draft defense - and buy offense (OL).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 12:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I’m all for this. I know there will be a certain faction that wants to go OL there no matter what, but the chances of the BPA at 31 being a defensive player are pretty high, imo. I still say flip the script from what we’ve been doing the last few years: draft defense - and buy offense (OL).

Hopefully they sign a free agent or two on the Offensive Line. So it opens up the draft board for us.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

This is very exciting news. Not even because I feel like the defensive value is much higher this draft, it's because this insinuates that the OL will be taken care of in FA. Lets hope anyway.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote

This is perfect. It allows the higher contracts to be displaced by rookies and have the money go for all the near future O contracts (Jonah, Burrow, Higs, JC1)
Reply/Quote
I think seeing Joe on the field holding his knee screaming during the Super Bowl sealed the deal. The O line will be fixed this year. If we get 2 in Free Agency, then we might go corner at 31, otherwise expect an offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 03:23 PM)Tony Wrote: I don't want no part of Elam.. Ace from New stripe city did an all 22 on him and He gives up inside leverage ways to easy and refuses contact... 

The leverage stuff can be coached out of him. The refusing contact thing is weird tho. Idk what that means. How do you refuse contact at that position?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:08 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: This is very exciting news. Not even because I feel like the defensive value is much higher this draft, it's because this insinuates that the OL will be taken care of in FA. Lets hope anyway.

No doubt. 

This is where common sense would lead you. We are going to make some moves on the OL in FA if we are going D early.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:08 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: This is very exciting news. Not even because I feel like the defensive value is much higher this draft, it's because this insinuates that the OL will be taken care of in FA. Lets hope anyway.

Only if Bates is tagged or released. But it could be a corner if all the OL issues are fixed in FA.
Reply/Quote
Part of the issue last year was the same problem we had other years with the misbelief that: this draft is so deep at (insert position) you can get top talent at that position in the third.

And that's almost never true. 20 years ago? Probably. There was more of a tendency to draft skills players high and if it was a deep class at other spots, then, sure, you could get an outstanding player in the mid second. But the way teams tend to draft and evaluate is much different now. There's always going to be qbs that go too high because it's still a position that gets hard for teams to predict how those players transfer to the NFL. But I don't think it's the same days as when a top 5 college running back was a lock for a top 15 draft spot just because he was a college standout.

And this year, we're picking almost last each round, which makes it much harder for guys who don't watch college football much to have an opinion.
Reply/Quote
Getting at least 2 starters out of your top 3 a year out of your draft is bottom line.
Bengals
2019 (2)
Williams
Sample
Pratt
2020 (3)
Burrow
Higgins
Wilson
2021 (1.5)
Chase
Carman
Ossai

The Bengals have drafted good not great. Their FA struck gold in 2021. They need to have a solid draft this year to keep it going.
Reply/Quote
My prediction, there will still be a bit of a civil war at 31. Not like last year. But still. This will mostly center around “well if they had done this in free agency they could have drafted _________

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 12:57 AM)J24 Wrote: Hopefully they sign a free agent or two on the Offensive Line. So it opens up the draft board for us.

Yup. I am fine if the draft is other positions if we hit homeruns in free agency. Better, actually. We can win now. Let other teams slowly develop/ 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Too many options.

There will still be some people who hate it and some people who love it, but I think so many people will have different "favorites" that there won't be two groups of "us" and "them" (and the few Pitts fans who had to pick a new side after he went #4).

Honestly I feel that picking that late we should probably go BPA.  No way I would count on getting a guy who could step in and start as a rookie.

Hard to say what our biggest needs will be until after free agency.  It will be a big clue if we just sign some guys to one year deals.

Most expensive players are QB, LT, CB, Edge Rush (I believe).  CB is the only one where we are not set for at least 2 years.

I just hope they get the offensive line addressed with at least two new players so the draft will truly be wide open for them.

I keep coming back to CB unless they sign a vet to replace Waynes.  They survived this year largely because of the depth.  

That being said, there is likely going to be some real talent at DT and DE at 31.  
Reply/Quote
Pick might have more value trading it away than using it this year... Be interesting to see how it plays out
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I just hope they get the offensive line addressed with at least two new players so the draft will truly be wide open for them.

I keep coming back to CB unless they sign a vet to replace Waynes.  They survived this year largely because of the depth.  

That being said, there is likely going to be some real talent at DT and DE at 31.  

DT/DE/S/CB are my candidates. Really pretty open though. I guess they could go offensive line too, but I hope they address that in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 12:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Pick might have more value trading it away than using it this year... Be interesting to see how it plays out

No doubt. All for trading back if there isn't a can't miss pick at 31. Add more picks so we can snatch up some of the Defensive
talent in this draft as it is much more deep on the defensive side of the ball. Love the DT's, Ends and Corners that will be around
in the 2nd to 4th rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Too many options.

There will still be some people who hate it and some people who love it, but I think so many people will have different "favorites" that there won't be two groups of "us" and "them" (and the few Pitts fans who had to pick a new side after he went #4).

Honestly I feel that picking that late we should probably go BPA.  No way I would count on getting a guy who could step in and start as a rookie.

Hard to say what our biggest needs will be until after free agency.  It will be a big clue if we just sign some guys to one year deals.

Most expensive players are QB, LT, CB, Edge Rush (I believe).  CB is the only one where we are not set for at least 2 years.

This year, I'm going into the draft blind. I actually haven't been paying attention to who's who in the draft. I'll let you guys fight over who we should draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This year, I'm going into the draft blind. I actually haven't been paying attention to who's who in the draft. I'll let you guys fight over who we should draft.

It is pretty strange in a good way going to the Superbowl. Not near as much time to study up but I really like the Defensive
players in this Draft and after the first 3 or 4 OL it really falls off so we need to take care of the OL in Free Agency even more
than usual cause of where we pick at the end of every round. Luckily we have the money. 

Otherwise we would be in a tough position.
Reply/Quote
Count me all in on Team Penning. Dude's going to be a beast, and change the way we view our standards of OL play for decades to come. Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote