Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No one to blame but ourselves.
I am pissed we lost both Whit and Zeitler.  But I am actually mad at myself because I set myself up to feel this. I believed the Bengals would reassess their stance on not locking down Whit and Zeitler in light the poor development of the recent drafted olinemen.  Nope.  They were true to their word.  They told us their plans long in advance. I ignored that and made my own expectations, which were not met.  My bad.  My fault.  I wasn't mislead.

Hobson told us clearly last June we weren't going to effort to retain Zeitler.  The guy may be nothing more than a laughable proaganda mouth piece, but he says what management is telling him.

Quote:Zeitler is a fine young player, but how many second contracts can you dole out? Plus, guard is a position (safety is another) where they don’t traditionally drop top-of-the-market contracts and as a former first-rounder who has had a solid career Zeitler figures to be looking at a leading number. Still, they love the guy and want to find a way to keep him.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-backers-and-bounces/e718ef97-1483-4f28-a625-06e18911bba0

The sad part is the upset fans have no one to blame but themselves. The Bengals always give their version of "don't get your hopes up". Couched in just enough non committal, vague assurances of striving for success to make it genericly positive.  We then key in on the vague, non commital promises of moderate glory and run with it, getting mad when our baseless expectations aren't meant.

We would be much better off, as fans of the Bengals, to not look at the front office as football minds planning football success.  Instead think of them as your companies HR. Making sure the company runs smoothly and profitably while handing out free popcorn, false enthusiasm,  stress balls, and promises to "lift your 'very real' concerns, which we sincerely value, up to management" during employee appreciation season ticket renewal week.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I've said it in a couple threads now....I won't be fooled again.  They called me a hater on the old boards?????  I hadn't begun to be cynical......the glass is only 1/16th full from now on.....and I feel that's too generous with these pukes.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've said it in a couple threads now....I won't be fooled again.  They called me a hater on the old boards?????  I hadn't begun to be cynical......the glass is only 1/16th full from now on.....and I feel that's too generous with these pukes.

It's bad.  It's really bad.  And I used to be seen as positive most of the time.  But anyone who can't see what's going on is kidding themselves  Last place in AFC North and possible #1 draft pick next year.  I hope there's a better O line class next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:19 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I've said it in a couple threads now....I won't be fooled again.  They called me a hater on the old boards?????  I hadn't begun to be cynical......the glass is only 1/16th full from now on.....and I feel that's too generous with these pukes.

Although you say this now, you, like many of us will start to feel the sprout of the mustard seed once camp starts and preseason games begin. We will be escalated torwards the top and then yet again, let loose once again to plummet to earth in a dismal outcome.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Although you say this now, you, like many of us will start to feel the sprout of the mustard seed once camp starts and preseason games begin. We will be escalated torwards the top and then yet again, let loose once again to plummet to earth in a dismal outcome.

And then we'll have our first game, give up a bunch of sacks, and lose.  And we'll have to face the truth.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:05 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And then we'll have our first game, give up a bunch of sacks, and lose.  And we'll have to face the truth.

That won't happen till we are 0-4.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That won't happen till we are 0-4.

I think the majority of fans will face the truth as soon as we see the O line in game one.  The Bengals management will probably be shooting sunshine up our asses until they are 0-16.
Reply/Quote
Man it's like why do I even wake up in the morning?

Sometimes I stare into the mirror and wonder why do you let them take advantage of you this way? Aren't you better than this?

Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:38 PM)Burma Wrote: I am pissed we lost both Whit and Zeitler.  But I am actually mad at myself because I set myself up to feel this. I believed the Bengals would reassess their stance on not locking down Whit and Zeitler in light the poor development of the recent drafted olinemen.  Nope.  They were true to their word.  They told us their plans long in advance. I ignored that and made my own expectations, which were not met.  My bad.  My fault.  I wasn't mislead.

Hobson told us clearly last June we weren't going to effort to retain Zeitler.  The guy may be nothing more than a laughable proaganda mouth piece, but he says what management is telling him.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-backers-and-bounces/e718ef97-1483-4f28-a625-06e18911bba0

The sad part is the upset fans have no one to blame but themselves. The Bengals always give their version of "don't get your hopes up". Couched in just enough non committal, vague assurances of striving for success to make it genericly positive.  We then key in on the vague, non commital promises of moderate glory and run with it, getting mad when our baseless expectations aren't meant.

We would be much better off, as fans of the Bengals, to not look at the front office as football minds planning football success.  Instead think of them as your companies HR. Making sure the company runs smoothly and profitably while handing out free popcorn, false enthusiasm,  stress balls, and promises to "lift your 'very real' concerns, which we sincerely value, up to management" during employee appreciation season ticket renewal week.

Sure let's ignore the fact that the Brown's made Zeitler the highest paid guard in league history.  I hate that we lost him, but I wouldn't want his contract here.  So good job FO.

I love Whitworth as much as anyone, but 3 years at 12 mil a year for a 35 year old tackle?  That's ABSURD!  let me repeat that....That's ABSURD!  Again...good job FO.

I hate that we lost both, but I wouldn't want either of those contracts.  Really people.  Open your eyes and be reasonable.

Reactions like this to fan hysteria are why good FO's don't listen to fan bases.  Those were bad business contracts - period.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:46 AM)Stewy Wrote: Sure let's ignore the fact that the Brown's made Zeitler the highest paid guard in league history.  I hate that we lost him, but I wouldn't want his contract here.  So good job FO.

I love Whitworth as much as anyone, but 3 years at 12 mil a year for a 35 year old tackle?  That's ABSURD!  let me repeat that....That's ABSURD!  Again...good job FO.

I hate that we lost both, but I wouldn't want either of those contracts.  Really people.  Open your eyes and be reasonable.

Reactions like this to fan hysteria are why good FO's don't listen to fan bases.  Those were bad business contracts - period.

I thought the deal worked out to essentially a 1 year deal, with team options?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:56 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I thought the deal worked out to essentially a 1 year deal, with team options?

Whit's deal is 3 for 36 with 15 mil guaranteed.  That would make it 22 mil in the first year.  No thanks.
Reply/Quote
Yep, while I hate that we lost both of them, signing those deals here would have been insane....
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:46 AM)Stewy Wrote: Sure let's ignore the fact that the Brown's made Zeitler the highest paid guard in league history.  I hate that we lost him, but I wouldn't want his contract here.  So good job FO.

Glad to see you missed the point.

The contracts were irrelevant. The point was the Bengals had made clear they were moving on from Z and Whit.  Many of us thought they would reconsider.  They didn't, we got upset. That was our fault for making up our own expectations.  That was the point.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:15 PM)Burma Wrote: Glad to see you missed the point.

The contracts were irrelevant. The point was the Bengals had made clear they were moving on from Z and Whit.  Many of us thought they would reconsider.  They didn't, we got upset. That was our fault for making up our own expectations.  That was the point.

No I got the point.  You had unreasonable expectations, and the FO acted with good business sense vs. fan sense.  I was just trying to be nice and not point out how out of touch and ridiculous it is to expect a team to pay any price to mollify it's fans.  But since you pointed it out yourself, i guess i can too.
Reply/Quote

Rep. 
Reply/Quote

Absurd? Probably. However it will look like a deal when your new $600,000 Guard gets your $13 million quarterback killed.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 03:53 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Absurd? Probably. However it will look like a deal when your new $600,000 Guard gets your $13 million quarterback killed.

......here's what I don't understand about the people bashing fans over being upset....it was INEPTITUDE on the part of the FO.  KZ should have been extended before DeCastro was in Pittsburgh.  They ***** lowballed him.  They offered him GD Clint Boling money and he balked.  I don't blame him.  THEY were the dumbasses....not us.  Had they offered the guy 8-10 million in 2014 or prior to the start of 2015 to EXTEND him....he would currentky be a decent deal.  But no.....Mike Clown thinks you can win championships with low round bums all over your interior line.  After all.......it's worked so well for 26 years. Amirite?  You guys are crazy for calling out fans man.  This was outright piss poor preparation.  Add to that they told us they were saving to extend him so we couldn't be players in FA....and y'all wonder why people are pissed ?  Jesus man.....really?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 03:53 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Absurd? Probably. However it will look like a deal when your new $600,000 Guard gets your $13 million quarterback killed.

Again...41 sacks last year. How good a deal would it be to be paying 2 of those guys $24M next season? You cant keep everyone and stay cap healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: Again...41 sacks last year. How good a deal would it be to be paying 2 of those guys $24M next season? You cant keep everyone and stay cap healthy.

The numbers say those two combined for anywhere from 1 to 4 of those sacks....depending on your source.  Our new LT gave up 11.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: The numbers say those two combined for anywhere from 1 to 4 of those sacks....depending on your source.  Our new LT gave up 11.

So keeping those 2 and overpaying them would have reduced the number of sacks the other players gave up?
Reply/Quote