Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nobody Would Want Bengals Head Coaching Job
Fans forget this fact as they make out their coaching wish list for Santa every year.

Nobody wanted the job when Marvin fired. Many coaches told Bengals NO WAY.

Nobody wanted the job after LeBeau fired.
Nobody wanted the job after Coslett fired
Nobody wanted the job after Shula fired
Nobody wanted the job after Wyche fired

You have to go back to Paul Brown still alive to see coaches that wanted to come to Cincinnati.

No top coaches want to work for Mike Brown and Family. That is just a Fact.

Zac Taylor has only had 2 drafts and 1 preseason, just 1 preseason. Yes, Taylor should get a Covid 2020 Pass to stay on in 2021. The team was lousy when they hired him, and he has not had a fair opportunity to turn this team around. Many things went wrong not Taylors fault. Injuries to Jonah, AJ, Atkins, Mixon, TE's, Burrow. COVID No Preseason in a coaches 2nd year is not fair, because no way to coach players up.

Bengals may want to be like all USA and look to Covid going down in 2021, and bring workers like Taylor back. All the Fans wish lists of coaches are garbage can material, because those coaches would all refuse to come here. A Wait and See mode on Taylor would let coaches we have get ready for draft, instead of coach after coach turning down the job in first 3 months of year. Of course with a less Covid preseason, Taylor would have to win more in 2021 or be fired fast.

We can NOT forget that coaches do not want to come here. That is why Marvin was a good hire when racism had black coaches still trying to break the color barrier, and no top white coaches would work for Mike Brown. If they do fire Taylor, Bieniemy might leave Chiefs for Bengals because racism isn't much better in 2020 and maybe worse than 2003.

We must remember that almost no coaches want the Bengals Head Coach job, and many turn down OC and DC. The coaches on Fans wish lists over decades always refuse to work under Mike Brown Family, and THAT is a FACT, you can look it up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don’t think this is true. It’s possible a few coaches that’ve been in demand have passed but there’s only 32 of these jobs and several qualified -even if they’ve been proven unsuccessful -candidates ready to prove they have what it takes. Often times candidates are over looked for years- so when the opportunity presents itself- you pounce. That’s what success people do. We just suck at recognizing moxie or we down right despite it. One of the two.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
So, because "nobody" wants to come to the Bengals, the fans should have to endure more years of this suck ass coaching staff?

NO!

Taylor has made the team worse, not better. This means the team is further away from a championship than it was two years ago. I guess Mike Brown should just give up on any championship notions for the remaining of his years? He should not.

Further more, coaches do come to the Bengals. You listed several who did and there are several who would come.

With Taylor it was the assistants who said no to working under him. That was a big red flag right there. The quality assistants don't want to work for Boy Wonder. That's pretty clear. Marvin had some good assistants. People wanted to work for him.

Taylor had free rein to bring in the assistants he wants, something Marvin didn't have. He was given the largest free agent budget the Bengals have ever spent. Yet, he still managed to f' it all up.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is an attractive incentive for any wannabe head coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Haven’t things changed considerably though? Zac picked his entire staff, Zac went out and signed a ton of quality free agents, Zac has complete say over who starts and who sits... things I don’t think Marvin ever had complete control over.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: So, because "nobody" wants to come to the Bengals, the fans should have to endure more years of this suck ass coaching staff?

NO!

Taylor has made the team worse, not better. This means the team is further away from a championship than it was two years ago. I guess Mike Brown should just give up on any championship notions for the remaining of his years? He should not.

Further more, coaches do come to the Bengals. You listed several who did and there are several who would come.

With Taylor it was the assistants who said no to working under him. That was a big red flag right there. The quality assistants don't want to work for Boy Wonder. That's pretty clear. Marvin had some good assistants. People wanted to work for him.

Taylor had free rein to bring in the assistants he wants, something Marvin didn't have. He was given the largest free agent budget the Bengals have ever spent. Yet, he still managed to f' it all up.

Maybe we should let Kevin  coach the team?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 08:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Zac Taylor has only had 2 drafts and 1 preseason, just 1 preseason.  Yes, Taylor should get a Covid 2020 Pass to stay on in 2021.  The team was lousy when they hired him, and he has not had a fair opportunity to turn this team around.  Many things went wrong not Taylors fault. Injuries to Jonah, AJ, Atkins, Mixon, TE's, Burrow.  COVID No Preseason in a coaches 2nd year is not fair, because no way to coach players up.

So I agree that a Cowher, Harbaugh, or big names won't come here. But, a guy like Bieniemy would have. A lot of the top assistants on a team would likely come here.  Burrow makes it attractive.

But, man...2 drafts and 2 free agency classes is enough. This was a 6 win team with Marvin. They added a ton of talent this offseason, and Taylor can't win. And not only can he not win, he called an insane amount of pass plays resulting in Burrow's injury.

EVERY team has injuries. Last year, people blamed AJ's injury on the season going bad. Guess what? Next year guys are going to get hurt. Guys ALWAYS get hurt.

Covid? LOL - Like covid only impacted the Bengals.

The Dolphins GUTTED their roster last year...trading good, young players and finished with a better record than the Bengals. This year, they're 8-5. 2 years is enough to atleast show some results. The Bengals didn't have to win a SB this year, but man 2.5 wins is horrible.

Keep Taylor. He'll ruin Burrow. Fans should be convinced now more than ever that can happen. Then, you all can be like 'Taylor could never succeed with Burrow...and he needs a new QB.' <-- That's how some of you roll. You revise history. You make excuses for failure. You get handed a terrible product year after year...and you make excuses why it was terrible this year and why it will be better next year. Then when it's bad the next year, you make more excuses.

Taylor has been a terrible OC in college and the Pros. He's been terrible here too. That has nothing to do with Covid or no preseason. He's just not a bright offensive mind.
Reply/Quote
Covid! Covid! You can't improve during the Covid offseason Bills!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Covid! Covid! You can't turn a team around in 2 years!

Lafleur inherited a 6 win team. Same as Taylor.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Covid! Covid! You can't improve during the Covid offseason Bills!

That's what happens when you have a coach with a vision of what he wants to put on the field.  They knew what types of specific skill sets they wanted, and then either drafted or acquired the players who fit those roles.

It would be nice if we could tell what Taylor's vision for his offense was/is.  I'd like to think it involved a passing game that featured receivers running routes at all 3 levels of the defense that opened up off the success of a strong rushing attack.  However, that vision will never come to fruition without having a masterful OL Coach/Running game coordinator.  One who not only can draw up the Xs and Os on paper, but one who communicate his plan to the players and get them to execute as a unit.  It also helps to have talent evaluators that can target players with specific skill traits that fill individual roles on that OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's what happens when you have a coach with a vision of what he wants to put on the field.  They knew what types of specific skill sets they wanted, and then either drafted or acquired the players who fit those roles.

It would be nice if we could tell what Taylor's vision for his offense was/is.  I'd like to think it involved a passing game that featured receivers running routes at all 3 levels of the defense that opened up off the success of a strong rushing attack.  However, that vision will never come to fruition without having a masterful OL Coach/Running game coordinator.  One who not only can draw up the Xs and Os on paper, but one who communicate his plan to the players and get them to execute as a unit.  It also helps to have talent evaluators that can target players with specific skill traits that fill individual roles on that OL.

Yep. Unfortunately, I don't think Taylor has a vision. He basically just tried to bring the Rams playbook in. Doesn't know when to call plays and why. It's telling that the Dolphins switching to a Cover 2 threw him off so much.

But, yes...great points! Other teams have a system and select guys that fit that system. That's why the Patriots win. And right now, with no Brady and all the guys that opted out because of covid, they're 6-7. We'd likely struggle to win a single game all year without Dalton last year or Burrow this year...let along all the guys that opted out for them. Here, 1 or 2 injuries derail us.
Reply/Quote
This job can be as attractive as any other.

If you make a real commitment to doing things the right way (Hiring a GM, pledging to spend money when and where needed, etc) then there's nothing stopping us from competing with any other franchise for a potential candidate.

If we choose to do nothing, and keep things exactly the same (No true GM, Duke Tobin still in place, Brown/Blackburn meddling, small scouting department) then yeah, it's not going to be the most desirable job. But even still, there's only so many coaching jobs in this league, and someone will be willing to take the risk in the hopes they can be the one to turn it around.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 01:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This job can be as attractive as any other.  

If you make a real commitment to doing things the right way (Hiring a GM, pledging to spend money when and where needed, etc) then there's nothing stopping us from competing with any other franchise for a potential candidate.

If we choose to do nothing, and keep things exactly the same (No true GM, Duke Tobin still in place, Brown/Blackburn meddling, small scouting department) then yeah, it's not going to be the most desirable job.  But even still, there's only so many coaching jobs in this league, and someone will be willing to take the risk in the hopes they can be the one to turn it around.

That's no fun! Let's just keep Zac and the Staff. Say no other coach would ever come here. Go 2-14 every year. Blame the losses on injuries, the front office, covid, and other factors. AND the cherry on top, when we lose a game by 8 or less, we'll just count that as a win! (And it was a win because fumbles don't count! And if we threw an extra 80 yard TD it is a win.) And, if our QB gets hurt, we'll just act like no team can win with a backup QB...despite the fact that other teams do.

Then, every offseason, we'll talk about how amazing our draft was and how our offensive line is fixed. How our defensive line is insanely good at pass rushing. That we are 5 deep with Top 2 WR's.

Lets do this instead.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 08:25 AM)kevin Wrote: No top coaches want to work for Mike Brown and Family.  That is just a Fact.

This just is just a complete lie.

Tom Caughlin interviewed here twice.

Marvin was a top prospect when we hired him.

And that was after 12 years of losing instead of just 5.
Reply/Quote
The interesting thing about the Taylor coaching crop 2 years ago is that there wasn't a lot of competition for hires. Seems each team identified different candidates. Bieniemy did interview with other teams too I believe.
Reply/Quote
I agree no big name coach wants to work for the Brown family. Mike Brown is not a respected owner. Tight with his money, the NFL made a rule because Brown was not spending money so now there is a minimum you must reach for a teams payroll. I also think the Brown family takes a hit over how Paul Brown treated Bill Walsh. The only saving grace is Burrow he may entice a quality Head coach. A good Hc also knows the Brown family doesn't put a lot of money into scouting
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is just a complete lie.

Tom Caughlin interviewed here twice.

Marvin was a top prospect when we hired him.

And that was after 12 years of losing instead of just 5.

Coughlin then went to the Giants and got two rings after leading the Jags to the AFC title game. Team picks Marvin. 

The Bengals have far less to offer than many other teams, period.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Unfortunately, I don't think Taylor has a vision. He basically just tried to bring the Rams playbook in. Doesn't know when to call plays and why. It's telling that the Dolphins switching to a Cover 2 threw him off so much.

But, yes...great points! Other teams have a system and select guys that fit that system. That's why the Patriots win. And right now, with no Brady and all the guys that opted out because of covid, they're 6-7. We'd likely struggle to win a single game all year without Dalton last year or Burrow this year...let along all the guys that opted out for them. Here, 1 or 2 injuries derail us.

What’s this cover 2 you speak of? Must be some sort of witchcraft.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I laugh when I see Bill Cowher's name mentioned. Not so much because he won't come here, but because he's been outta coaching for damn near 2 decades. So maybe none of the "top" coaches want this job. My gut tells me it's not available anyway... But in theory it is possible to bring in an off the radar up and comer. Do I trust them to get it right? I already told you I don't trust them to make the right decision on what needs to get done with Zac.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 02:41 PM)jason Wrote: I laugh when I see Bill Cowher's name mentioned. Not so much because he won't come here, but because he's been outta coaching for damn near 2 decades. So maybe none of the "top" coaches want this job. My gut tells me it's not available anyway... But in theory it is possible to bring in an off the radar up and comer. Do I trust them to get it right? I already told you I don't trust them to make the right decision on what needs to get done with Zac.

Bill would at least have the fundamentals to get us headed in the right direction. Plus he has fire.  

Reply/Quote