Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nobody Would Want Bengals Head Coaching Job
(12-20-2020, 09:00 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I don’t think this is true.

It's not even remotely true. Anyone who wants to be a Head Coach in the NFL would jump at the spot. Like you said, there's only 32 positions in the world. Joe Burrow is just icing on the cake.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You accidentally cut off my post before it got to the question posed. So I cannot blame you for not answering it. 

I didn't even bother responding to it because the answer is obvious.

Jared Goff didn't suddenly become a worse QB because Zac Taylor left.  There's clear reasons to explain the decline in numbers.

1.) Todd Gurley's injury. 

Todd Gurley went down with a knee injury late in the year.  He's never been the same since.  He was easily a top 3 back in the league, and one of the best receiving backs as well.  When you lose that level of player and replace them with Darrell Henderson/Malcolm Brown it's going to change the look of your offense.

2.) Brandon Cooks' concussions. 

Cooks suffered yet another concussion early in 2019, missed time, and he too has never been the same player since.  He was a 1,200 yard 10 TD receiver in 2018 and that player was lost in 2019. 

The Rams whole identity was the 3 headed monster of Cooks/Woods/Cupp to pair with an elite Todd Gurley.  In 2019 it was basically a two head monster of Woods/Cupp with a Cooks and Gurley who were shells of themselves.  They lost two Pro Bowl level players worth of production from their roster.

3.) Deteriation of the Offensive Line. 

In 2018 the Rams had the 5th best Offensive Line according to PFF.  In 2019 they had the 31st best Offensive Line according to PFF.

They lost two starters after the 2018 and replaced them with younger unproven, cheaper options.  Andrew Whitworth finally showed his age, got worse, and then finally got hurt this season.  This group went from elite level to one of the worst unilts in the entire league in 2019.

4.) Sean McVay's offense.

Everyone had a full year plus an offseason to figure out how to counter Sean McVay's offense.  How many times have we seen this?  (We're seeing right now with the Ravens for example.)

Sean McVay was a wonderkid in his first year as an OC.  But give all of these other coaches around the league a full year of film to study and full offseason to figure it out and usually you're going to see some regression.

Conclusion:  It's real easy to look at it, and say "Jared Goff got really bad when Zac Taylor left".  But when you consider that his OL went to shit, he lost a 1st team All-Pro Running back who was a weapon in the pass game, his 1,200 yard receiver fell off the map, and his HC/OC's new and exciting offense isn't so new and exciting anymore, then you might come to realize that Zac Taylor has little to do in any of this.  In fact, he never did to begin with.
Reply/Quote
Eh, I dunno.

After marvin, I agree. We had a crap roster and a 2-3 year rebuild. That's unattractive to a coach, especially considering we were a franchise with a history of limping along.

But we've got burrow. We've got a handful of younger players. We're going to have the third overall.

If we part ways with ZT, I think we've got a few things to attract a good coach. Plus, we've got a track record for the long term.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I dunno.

After marvin, I agree. We had a crap roster and a 2-3 year rebuild. That's unattractive to a coach, especially considering we were a franchise with a history of limping along.

But we've got burrow. We've got a handful of younger players. We're going to have the third overall.

If we part ways with ZT, I think we've got a few things to attract a good coach. Plus, we've got a track record for the long term.

The AFC is going to be loaded with good young QBs. Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Jackson, Tua, Herbert.
Reply/Quote
Josh McDaniels got a head coach job. Decided, f that, stay an OC and get that ring. A shot at being a head coach and failing can destroy your NFL career. As hyped as players can be, coaches can have all that hype and just fall flat as a head coach. "I used to be an NFL head coach" is not exactly the most honorable thing out there. The absolute bests are current, dead or have ended on a bad note.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 08:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I didn't even bother responding to it because the answer is obvious.

Jared Goff didn't suddenly become a worse QB because Zac Taylor left.  There's clear reasons to explain the decline in numbers.

1.) Todd Gurley's injury. 

Todd Gurley went down with a knee injury late in the year.  He's never been the same since.  He was easily a top 3 back in the league, and one of the best receiving backs as well.  When you lose that level of player and replace them with Darrell Henderson/Malcolm Brown it's going to change the look of your offense.

2.) Brandon Cooks' concussions. 

Cooks suffered yet another concussion early in 2019, missed time, and he too has never been the same player since.  He was a 1,200 yard 10 TD receiver in 2018 and that player was lost in 2019. 

The Rams whole identity was the 3 headed monster of Cooks/Woods/Cupp to pair with an elite Todd Gurley.  In 2019 it was basically a two head monster of Woods/Cupp with a Cooks and Gurley who were shells of themselves.  They lost two Pro Bowl level players worth of production from their roster.

3.) Deteriation of the Offensive Line. 

In 2018 the Rams had the 5th best Offensive Line according to PFF.  In 2019 they had the 31st best Offensive Line according to PFF.

They lost two starters after the 2018 and replaced them with younger unproven, cheaper options.  Andrew Whitworth finally showed his age, got worse, and then finally got hurt this season.  This group went from elite level to one of the worst unilts in the entire league in 2019.

4.) Sean McVay's offense.

Everyone had a full year plus an offseason to figure out how to counter Sean McVay's offense.  How many times have we seen this?  (We're seeing right now with the Ravens for example.)

Sean McVay was a wonderkid in his first year as an OC.  But give all of these other coaches around the league a full year of film to study and full offseason to figure it out and usually you're going to see some regression.

Conclusion:  It's real easy to look at it, and say "Jared Goff got really bad when Zac Taylor left".  But when you consider that his OL went to shit, he lost a 1st team All-Pro Running back who was a weapon in the pass game, his 1,200 yard receiver fell off the map, and his HC/OC's new and exciting offense isn't so new and exciting anymore, then you might come to realize that Zac Taylor has little to do in any of this.  In fact, he never did to begin with.

Okey Dokey

You can lead a horse to water...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The AFC is going to be loaded with good young QBs. Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Jackson, Tua, Herbert.

I don't think Brandon Allen belongs in that company, but whatever.... I kid.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:48 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think Brandon Allen belongs in that company, but whatever.... I kid.

I excluded Finley too. He throws the best 5 yard ball in the league. He's unfortunately trying to throw it 15 yards.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 10:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I excluded Finley too. He throws the best 5 yard ball in the league. He's unfortunately trying to throw it 15 yards.

Remember his pocket awareness in the preseason last year?

Finley seriously does make me miss AJ McCarron. People were foolish for demanding he should start, but he is a legit NFL caliber player.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 10:12 PM)jason Wrote: Remember his pocket awareness in the preseason last year?

Finley seriously does make me miss AJ McCarron. People were foolish for demanding he should start, but he is a legit NFL caliber player.

Finley is going to throw so many screens tomorrow night.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Finley is going to throw so many screens get sacked so many times tomorrow night.

I agree. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
What is wrong with you people!? What the **** has Zack did ever, to even give you a smidge of confidence in him? RIDICULOUS!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You asked the question and then answered it with the next sentence. Zac was getting plenty credit for improving the Ram's Offense to such a point that they made the Super Bowl. I personally didn't like the hire because I wanted someone more established and I thought Marvin was getting all he could out of the team;  but Zac fit the young Offensive guru mold that was all the rage in the NFL.

I have no problem with shitting on the FO when they do stupid shit like keeping Zac, but it was obvious that Zac was a hot prospect when we hired him. When we try to shit on the good things they do we tend to lose our objectivity. 

He was so hot no one else even interviewed him... 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The AFC is going to be loaded with good young QBs. Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Jackson, Tua, Herbert.

Soooooo... You're saying those seven teams are going to have head coaching vacancies?

Cause if not, I don't get your point.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Soooooo... You're saying those seven teams are going to have head coaching vacancies?

No. Just that we're in a conference with a lot of young talented QBs. It's going to be about coaching and building around them more than ever.
Reply/Quote
I have zero faith in Taylor at this point but as always, we're blind as to what he may have wanted, but wasn't given. There's simply no forgiving putting Burrow behind this garbage offensive line and anyone involved should be fired. The results were entirely predictable.

I think it's probably true that we're limited on coaching prospects to long-shots and nobodies. Most retreads will have better sense than to waste their last gasp under the Brown family.

Maybe they could bring back Marvin Lewis in a Front Office role and that could take some of the stink off dealing with the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I dunno.

(12-20-2020, 09:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The AFC is going to be loaded with good young QBs. Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Jackson, Tua, Herbert.

(12-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Soooooo... You're saying those seven teams are going to have head coaching vacancies?

(12-21-2020, 01:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No. Just that we're in a conference with a lot of young talented QBs. It's going to be about coaching and building around them more than ever.

Ok. You lost me. 

It started out how the Bengals, if there is an open spot, might be enticing to a coach, because, in part, of Burrow. You said there's a lot of good QBs in the conference.

I'm not seeing what one has to do with the other if you're not inferring that every team with a good QB is going to dump their HC?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:00 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I don’t think this is true. It’s possible a few coaches that’ve been in demand have passed but there’s only 32 of these jobs and several qualified -even if they’ve been proven unsuccessful -candidates ready to prove they have what it takes. Often times candidates are over looked for years- so when the opportunity presents itself- you pounce. That’s what success people do.  We just suck at recognizing moxie or we down right despite it. One of the two.

Ol Hue Jackson learned a very valuable lesson about pouncing on an opportunity to coach a really shitty team. People are all over ZT, and rightfully so, but they apparently keep forgetting that Marvin had 3 consecutive losing seasons with these bums. This team sucks, the management sucks, there's only 3 or 4 legit players on the whole roster, and two of them are rookies. This isn't a very attractive opening....Kevin is right on that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I agree that a Cowher, Harbaugh, or big names won't come here. But, a guy like Bieniemy would have. A lot of the top assistants on a team would likely come here.  Burrow makes it attractive.

But, man...2 drafts and 2 free agency classes is enough. This was a 6 win team with Marvin. They added a ton of talent this offseason, and Taylor can't win. And not only can he not win, he called an insane amount of pass plays resulting in Burrow's injury.

EVERY team has injuries. Last year, people blamed AJ's injury on the season going bad. Guess what? Next year guys are going to get hurt. Guys ALWAYS get hurt.

Covid? LOL - Like covid only impacted the Bengals.

The Dolphins GUTTED their roster last year...trading good, young players and finished with a better record than the Bengals. This year, they're 8-5. 2 years is enough to atleast show some results. The Bengals didn't have to win a SB this year, but man 2.5 wins is horrible.

Keep Taylor. He'll ruin Burrow. Fans should be convinced now more than ever that can happen. Then, you all can be like 'Taylor could never succeed with Burrow...and he needs a new QB.' <-- That's how some of you roll. You revise history. You make excuses for failure. You get handed a terrible product year after year...and you make excuses why it was terrible this year and why it will be better next year. Then when it's bad the next year, you make more excuses.

Taylor has been a terrible OC in college and the Pros. He's been terrible here too. That has nothing to do with Covid or no preseason. He's just not a bright offensive mind.

To be fair, the talent added you alluded to has spent an unprecedented amount of time on IR. Yeah, "injuries", but you can't not mention them and the FAs added together. Wayne's missed all season, Reader most of it, Alexander missed quite a bit of time, XSF missed most of the season, I think the only one that didn't was Vonn Bell, and he played pretty well. You gotta be transparent.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Unfortunately, I don't think Taylor has a vision. He basically just tried to bring the Rams playbook in. Doesn't know when to call plays and why. It's telling that the Dolphins switching to a Cover 2 threw him off so much.

But, yes...great points! Other teams have a system and select guys that fit that system. That's why the Patriots win. And right now, with no Brady and all the guys that opted out because of covid, they're 6-7. We'd likely struggle to win a single game all year without Dalton last year or Burrow this year...let along all the guys that opted out for them. Here, 1 or 2 injuries derail us.

I thought you couldn't blame Covid. Ninja

Reply/Quote