Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina church to fly Christian flag over Old Glory
(Video)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4341779426001/north-carolina-church-to-fly-christian-flag-over-old-glory/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips

(Story)
http://www.wbtv.com/story/29472787/shelby-church-to-fly-christian-flag-over-american-flag

Quote:SHELBY, NC (WBTV) -
In Cleveland County, Old Glory flies high. From shops, to homes, to houses of worship - the red, white and blue can be spotted on every street corner.

But this Fourth of July weekend, one Shelby flag pole will be reassessing its priorities. On Sunday, Pastor Rit Varriale will raise the Christian flag above the American flag in front of Elizabeth Baptist Church.

"Our typical flag etiquette is to have the American flag above the Christian flag. But when you stop and think about it, it should be our commitment to God first, then our commitment to country," Varriale said.

The controversial move is one that Varriale noticed his fellow pastor, Walter Wilson, doing down the road a few months ago at Focus Missionary Baptist Church.

"As I was changing the rope one day, the Lord just laid on me that he is first and when he told me that, I switched the flags around," Wilson said.

Now, the two pastors are hoping to spark a movement across the country in light of the United States Supreme Courts recent ruling on same-sex marriage.

Varriale tells WBTV he believes Christians need to stand up just as the LGBT community has been doing recently.

"The reality is, they have been willing to sacrifice more and be more bold for their cause than the church of Jesus Christ for serving God, and that's got to change," Varriale said.

The decision is getting push-back online from some saying the move is disrespectful and unpatriotic. But this former Army Ranger says the move isn't about not loving his country.

"I really don't need a lecture on patriotism, I'm willing to give my life for my country. When you think of military motto's, for example, God and country, God first and then country," Varriale said.

The two pastors know the move is sure to turn heads, but say they’re okay with that.

"We know that not everyone is going to agree with that. But that's not going to make us sit down and stop talking about what's important," Wilson said.

Wilson’s church will come together with Varriale’s church on Sunday morning for the flag raising. Service begins at 11 a.m.

For more information visit godbeforegovernment.org.

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.

But we need special laws in case the Muslims want to push their religion on us. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Meh. Churches should be allowed to do what they want with their property, so long as it isn't obscene. I don't have a problem with them flying their flag over the national flag.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
yeah...this doesn't bother me at all.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(07-07-2015, 06:57 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Meh. Churches should be allowed to do what they want with their property, so long as it isn't obscene.  I don't have a problem with them flying their flag over the national flag.

(07-07-2015, 07:31 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: yeah...this doesn't bother me at all.

x3
Agreed.
Meh...freedom of speech and religion. 
I'm ok with someone holding their religion above their government. I won't hate on you for it until you try to legislate your beliefs on other citizens or harm this country.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Shelby NC is filled with nothing but hicks anyways
Private property, it's whatever. This isn't to say that improper flag etiquette doesn't bug me, but I try not to be an ass about it because most people don't care. For instance, there is a German restaurant in my town that has a German flag and an American flag flying on the front and they are in the wrong positions. I go in there monthly and don't say a word, even though every time I drive by I silently shake my head. Ninja
This doesn't bother/affect me, but I had to mentally roll my eyes when the guy had to point out that God specifically told him to do this.
He may not need a lecture on patriotism, be he definetely needs one on flag etiquette:

Quote:When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.

This is only about people not getting their way and as a result throwing a tantrum by displaying the flag incorrectly.   They need to fly the flag correctly or just take it down altogether.  Or, become Navy chaplains and get their asses out to sea. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Actually I should make my position mre clear.

I disagree with it. I think it is wrong, but I don't think there should be a law to stop him from doing it.
Does every country get this bent out of shape over flags, or is it just ours?
(07-08-2015, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I should make my position mre clear.

I disagree with it.  I think it is wrong, but I don't think there should be a law to stop him from doing it.

Technically speaking, there is a law against it. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

(f) When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag’s right.

(07-08-2015, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Does every country get this bent out of shape over flags, or is it just ours?

Not all countries do, but we aren't the only ones.
I don't like it. His flags and all, but if you are going to intentionally ignore the etiquette then just don't fly it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

this failed to rustle my jimmies
(07-07-2015, 06:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: (Video)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4341779426001/north-carolina-church-to-fly-christian-flag-over-old-glory/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips

(Story)
http://www.wbtv.com/story/29472787/shelby-church-to-fly-christian-flag-over-american-flag

But we need special laws in case the Muslims want to push their religion on us.  Mellow

I'm fine with this, now render unto Caesar and start paying taxes.   ThumbsUp
(07-08-2015, 08:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm fine with this, now render unto Caesar and start paying taxes.   ThumbsUp

Not really what Jesus was talking about.

I am curious why of all of the thousand of non-profits, churches bug people so much.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-08-2015, 09:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not really what Jesus was talking about.  

I am curious why of all of the thousand of non-profits, churches bug people so much.

Not a big mystery.  They avoid paying taxes on, sometimes enormous, income only to use that income to proselytize and promote their religion.  The second part of this not being a mystery is the enormous, and utterly regrettable, influence of religious views on the political system, via said income, which affects everyone.

To summarize, you pay no taxes on income used to spread your dogma all the while inflicting said dogma on everyone else in the country.  So, not really sure where the confusion comes from on your part.
Most churches barely make enough to get by let alone fund politics. Any excess money our church has goes to charity and help fund the school which saves taxpayers a lot of money.