Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not Built for Division
So, I think most agree that the Browns are a bad matchup for us.

Lamar is now 7-1 against us when he starts.

Then, we know that the Steelers always play us tough.

What do we have to do to start beating these teams more?
Reply/Quote
We've won the division two years in a row. What on earth are you talking about?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Based on overall record.

Taylor is 2-7 vs Browns.

Zac is 4-6 vs Ravens. Lamar is 7-1 vs us when he starts.

Zac is 4-4 vs Steelers.

So Zac is 10-17 against teams in our division.
Reply/Quote
We were built for this division. That’s why Reader and Bell was brought in. Tone setters. Perine was brought in. A hammer fit for the North. The Division after 2021 built themselves to beat the Bengals. And the Bengals haven’t adapted.

They need a spark. You see a lot of hungry teams playing. Young players trying to make a name for themselves. The Bengals look like they are fat and full off of recent success. I wouldn’t call them finesse just yet but with the loss of Bell and Perine the AFCN is looking far more physical.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: We were built for this division. That’s why Reader and Bell was brought in. Tone setters. Perine was brought in. A hammer fit for the North. The Division after 2021 built themselves to beat the Bengals. And the Bengals haven’t adapted.

They need a spark. You see a lot of hungry teams playing. Young players trying to make a name for themselves. The Bengals look like they are fat and full off of recent success.  I wouldn’t call them finesse just yet but with the loss of Bell and Perine the AFCN is looking far more physical.

I feel like some of our guys have egos and just expect to show up and win.
Reply/Quote
You only need to finish .500 in this division to have a chance.

It’s a dog fight everyone will beat each other remember we were 0-3 against the north last year to start and then turned it around.

Difference is this year that Burrow is obviously much worse than they let on, we have to win a few of these games now one way or another either by running it down their throats and helping the back up qb have time with play action or go sign Wentz.

I’ll admit it’s looking bleak but we are built for this division it’s just a bloodbath.
Reply/Quote
Ravens had a ton of injuries too today. We've been relatively healthy minus Burrow
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We've won the division two years in a row. What on earth are you talking about?

Lamar has been injured both those seasons though. It does kind of feel like the only AFCN team Burrow/Taylor can consistently beat is Pittsburgh.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ravens had a ton of injuries too today. We've been relatively healthy minus Burrow

We’ve seen how bad things look with 2 starters out on the OL. Not pretty. Yet BAL doesn’t miss a beat today. So frustrating.

Reply/Quote
We used to be built for this division. Not anymore.

The Clowns CLOBBERED us. Total humiliation. They are better than us.

The Rat Turds, came to our house, DEPLETED w injuries, ended up w more during the game ….and WHOOPED us. They also beat us far worse than than the final score shows.

The Squealers will get one from us, if not 2.

We lost our edge (OR never had it and the others just needed time to adjust).

The other teams in the AFC-N have real coaches / game-strategists and play schemers / callers. We don’t.

It will be a battle between us and the Squealers for the basement …. and that’s with JB.

We “can be” competitive at times but have lost a step on D and three steps on O and are out-coached.

We are probably the 7th-10th best team on the AFC - where we used to be up there w the Chiefs.

We are so easy to figure out.

Blanket Chase and Tee …. pressure JB ….. the opponent wins.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve seen how bad things look with 2 starters out on the OL. Not pretty. Yet BAL doesn’t miss a beat today. So frustrating.

In the Bengals defense they did whip the Bills with three missing linemen. They were missing a corner and a safety and that wasn’t really exploited which may have been worse.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I've been trying to avoid the knee jerk reactions... but there is a lot "off" surrounding this team right now.

Defense has clearly taken a step back not able to get off the field when it matters.

Lack of creativity on offense - teams know what we are trying to do.

Burrow - injured and not the same player

Ironically I feel like the O-Line has done fine.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ravens had a ton of injuries too today. We've been relatively healthy minus Burrow

Burrow is a pretty big peice!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve seen how bad things look with 2 starters out on the OL. Not pretty. Yet BAL doesn’t miss a beat today. So frustrating.

Humphrey and Peters out too.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:21 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I've been trying to avoid the knee jerk reactions... but there is a lot "off" surrounding this team right now.

Defense has clearly taken a step back not able to get off the field when it matters.

Lack of creativity on offense - teams know what we are trying to do.

Burrow - injured and not the same player

Ironically I feel like the O-Line has done fine.

Yeah. It feels like the whole team is playing poorly.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: In the Bengals defense they did whip the Bills with three missing linemen.

Sadly that seems like a bit of an outlier. Multiple pieces missing on our OL usually spells big trouble (tbf it does for most teams).

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the league though.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 11:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sadly that seems like a bit of an outlier. Multiple pieces missing on our OL usually spells big trouble (tbf it does for most teams).

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the league though.

Yes. I feel like the Ravens restock quickly. Plus, they changed OCs and don't run a college offense any more.

All 3 of our rivals likely have better coaching staffs than us. And arguably 2 draft better consistently.
Reply/Quote
It's tough because the teams in our division (minus the Browns until maybe this year) are very competent and thus always competitive. All 3 are tough because they put a ton of resources into their lines. Their O and D lines are all very strong. So when ours are not, well you see what happens. Our OL and DL got manhandled yesterday. The lack of pass rush against a team missing their LT and C was very concerning.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Based on overall record.

Taylor is 2-7 vs Browns.

Zac is 4-6 vs Ravens. Lamar is 7-1 vs us when he starts.

Zac is 4-4 vs Steelers.

So Zac is 10-17 against teams in our division.

Yet the only Bengals coach to win 2 division titles in a row.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
No AFC North team has won the division 3 years in a row since the current division alignment in 2002. I suppose history tells us it doesn't matter if the team is built for the division or not. We aren't meant to win the North this year if fate prevails.

Source verifying:
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/09/10/afc-north-preview-bengals-go-for-unprecedented-third-consecutive-division-crown/stories/202309100040#:~:text=Since%20the%20NFL%20went%20to,division%20the%20past%20two%20decades.
Reply/Quote