Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a word about the Bengals.....and I like it.
(09-22-2015, 01:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I respect your opinion, but you are injecting way too much emotion, opinion, and conjecture into this.  I asserted that you didn't have an actual factual grasp on the reason he wanted to leave the Bengals and your response substantiates that claim.  To each his own.  You and I agree on lots of things (if I recall correctly) but this obviously isn't one of them.  Hain't no thang, because I'm not even telling you to like the guy much less ride his jock.

I'm a Bengals fan.  Why wouldn't I be emotional about the supposed leader of the team quitting after a 4-12 season?  Palmer admitted himself that his reasons were "selfish".  Short of the team screwing with his money or wife, I can't see a justifiable reason for his departure.  

That's why I could care less for him.  He made it clear what he thought about my team by the way he exited.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 01:57 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I'm a Bengals fan.  Why wouldn't I be emotional about the supposed leader of the team quitting after a 4-12 season?  Palmer admitted himself that his reasons were "selfish".  Short of the team screwing with his money or wife, I can't see a justifiable reason for his departure.  

That's why I could care less for him.  He made it clear what he thought about my team by the way he exited.  

Meh, Carson didn't want to play for Marvin Lewis anymore.  As long as Marvin Lewis = Bengals to you then you are right, Carson doesn't want to play for your team.  But this team is bigger than Marvin Lewis, regardless of  your thoughts on his retention after 2010.

Players have a hard time winning the salary or trade-me battles because they are going against owners who are viewed as "THE TEAM" in the eyes of fans.  It's unfair in a sense, but that's why players are in on the business and we are not.  So it goes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 02:22 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Even at his peak performance (Palmer is playing as good now as he was for the Bengals years ago), his biggest weakness is his decision making and composure.  We all doubted his ability to get it done in the clutch as a Bengal and I don't know why it's any different now.

Sounds familiar.

Ironic since his decision making has gotten better since leaving Cincinnati.

Must he the water.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 03:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, Carson didn't want to play for Marvin Lewis anymore.  As long as Marvin Lewis = Bengals to you then you are right, Carson doesn't want to play for your team.  But this team is bigger than Marvin Lewis, regardless of  your thoughts on his retention after 2010.

Players have a hard time winning the salary or trade-me battles because they are going against owners who are viewed as "THE TEAM" in the eyes of fans.  It's unfair in a sense, but that's why players are in on the business and we are not.  So it goes.

You can try to justify it anyway you want but Marvin was and is the coach of the Bengals so for all intents and purposes he quit the Bengals.

I guess it was a one player mutiny.  That is why he himself called it "selfish".

I agree with him.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 08:38 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: You can try to justify it anyway you want but Marvin was and is the coach of the Bengals so for all intents and purposes he quit the Bengals.

I guess it was a one player mutiny.  That is why he himself called it "selfish".

I agree with him.

You made a few comments like "you guys are acting like Marvin/Mike slept with his wife!", but do you realize how you sound with these comments?

You're making it seem like Carson punched Whit in the face and then walked off the field in the middle of a home game with middle fingers in the air to the crowd.

The amount of butthurt surrounding Carson is unreal. Is it really bad to learn the facts instead of just using the typical "omg Carson quit on me, **** him and I don't care about what actually happened!!!!"???
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 08:41 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You made a few comments like "you guys are acting like Marvin/Mike slept with his wife!", but do you realize how you sound with these comments?

You're making it seem like Carson punched Whit in the face and then walked off the field in the middle of a home game with middle fingers in the air to the crowd.

The amount of butthurt surrounding Carson is unreal. Is it really bad to learn the facts instead of just using the typical "omg Carson quit on me, **** him and I don't care about what actually happened!!!!"???

What!?  The dude quit.  I never said he assaulted anyone.  I've only accused him of quitting on his fellow players and the franchise.  I only brought up the wife bit, because that's about the only reason I could justifiably see the guy leaving town.  Are you implying that as long as a player doesn't assault someone you are cool with them quitting?  He wasn't treated badly by this franchise, so why make excuses for him?  He didn't make any for himself.  

And why would I be "butthurt"?  The team's success has made it fairly easy to forget about him.  That said, I see no reasons to make excuses for or to cheer for a guy who quit on my team.  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:09 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: What!?  The dude quit.  I never said he assaulted anyone.  I've only accused him of quitting on his fellow players and the franchise.  I only brought up the wife bit, because that's about the only reason I could justifiably see the guy leaving town.  Are you implying that as long as a player doesn't assault someone you are cool with them quitting?  He wasn't treated badly by this franchise, so why make excuses for him?  He didn't make any for himself.  

And why would I be "butthurt"?  The team's success has made it fairly easy to forget about him.  That said, I see no reasons to make excuses for or to cheer for a guy who quit on my team.  

He sat at home because he didn't want to play for Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis isn't the Bengals, but he does coach them and was awarded with an extension that most people felt was undeserved.

I don't have any "excuses", just logical reasons why Carson isn't the big, bad jerk that left town spitting in the fans' faces as some like to portray it as. We get it, Carson left, and it was probably for no good reason, because why look into something when we could just be butthurt over it irrationally instead? You wouldn't have this many posts about it, and continue to argue about this if you really didn't care. You obviously do to some extent.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 02:37 PM)thegimp Wrote: I swear the Bengals are the only team that can have a top ten defense and people still act like its not great...

If they aren't the '85 Bears then ....

Even people doubted the that defense early on.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:16 AM)djs7685 Wrote: He sat at home because he didn't want to play for Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis isn't the Bengals, but he does coach them and was awarded with an extension that most people felt was undeserved.

I don't have any "excuses", just logical reasons why Carson isn't the big, bad jerk that left town spitting in the fans' faces as some like to portray it as. We get it, Carson left, and it was probably for no good reason, because why look into something when we could just be butthurt over it irrationally instead? You wouldn't have this many posts about it, and continue to argue about this if you really didn't care. You obviously do to some extent.

Marvin Lewis is the HC of the Bengals.  If you don't want to play for him, you effectively don't want to play for the Bengals.  And if Marvin was such a horrible guy to play for, why aren't any other players in a hurry to leave here?  Players that aren't being compensated and pampered nearly as much as the starting QB?

And he said himself that his reasons were "selfish".  

What else is there to say? 

The only people who would defend him are people who feel the same way about Marvin and the team that he felt.   
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:32 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Marvin Lewis is the HC of the Bengals.  If you don't want to play for him, you effectively don't want to play for the Bengals.  And if Marvin was such a horrible guy to play for, why aren't any other players in a hurry to leave here?  Players that aren't being compensated and pampered nearly as much as the starting QB?

And he said himself that his reasons were "selfish".  

What else is there to say? 

The only people who would defend him are people who feel the same way about Marvin and the team that he felt.   

Your last sentence makes 0 sense. I "defend" him because I think it's great that he could walk away from millions of dollars for something that he obviously felt strongly about. Most people would just stick around and ride it out for the money and fear of not making it elsewhere. Carson didn't care. He obviously had issues with people in the organization and he sat at home. I know a lot of people that wish they could do the same thing in their lives. I don't know how horrible Marvin is to play for, but Carson Palmer obviously had issues with him. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

You're free to feel the way you do, but don't be surprised when people point out that you seem butthurt over it. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be arguing about it this much. So do you care or not? I'm guessing you'll post again, so you do care. You're butthurt, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. Carson hurt your feelings, but I'll still root for the guy regardless of your thoughts. He didn't hurt my feelings whatsoever.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 08:41 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You're making it seem like Carson punched Whit in the face and then walked off the field in the middle of a home game with middle fingers in the air to the crowd.

Change Whit to Marvin and I would have LOVED to see that in 2010.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Your last sentence makes 0 sense. I "defend" him because I think it's great that he could walk away from millions of dollars for something that he obviously felt strongly about. Most people would just stick around and ride it out for the money and fear of not making it elsewhere. Carson didn't care. He obviously had issues with people in the organization and he sat at home. I know a lot of people that wish they could do the same thing in their lives. I don't know how horrible Marvin is to play for, but Carson Palmer obviously had issues with him. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

You're free to feel the way you do, but don't be surprised when people point out that you seem butthurt over it. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be arguing about it this much. So do you care or not? I'm guessing you'll post again, so you do care. You're butthurt, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. Carson hurt your feelings, but I'll still root for the guy regardless of your thoughts. He didn't hurt my feelings whatsoever.

You apologize for him because you obviously think he was justified in leaving.  Why speculate on his reasons for leaving or give him the benefit of the doubt when he is quoted himself as calling them "selfish"?  "Selfish" isn't a word generally used by team-first types of guys.  He quit because he was selfish.  He didn't want to be part of the turnaround so he quit.  He obviously had no intentions on "retiring".  That was the only leverage he had to force a trade off the team.  Are you really that naive?  I know you aren't.

And indeed I'm free to feel he is a quitter and do.  I'm no more "butt hurt" about it than any reasonable person who would call themselves a fan of the Bengals would be.  I don't know many Bengals fans who will be actively rooting for Carson.  Carson certainly wasn't rooting for the Bengals was he?  
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 10:30 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: As Bengals fan we are use to the media ignoring us and overlooking our accomplishments. It use to make me furious that ESPN, NFL Net., ect. spends 2 hours discussing Tony Romo's clavicle or Chip Kelly's inept offense and not say 1 word about how the Bengals are 2-0 and look damn good. Give Dalton some props...he's looking good. Our D is playing great as well. Anyway, after 2 hours of literally nothing but Cowboys, Eagles, Brady, Rex Ryan talk this morning and not a peep about the Bengals even during the whole NFL recaps on all the media outlets.....I now kinda like it that way. This team will quietly play its way into the playoffs.  Shhhhhhhh.
In the past, almost every time they hyped us up, we failed miserably.  We need to win in the spotlight and win the games we are expected to win in order to get that respect.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 11:00 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: In the past, almost every time they hyped us up, we failed miserably.  We need to win in the spotlight and win the games we are expected to win in order to get that respect.

The only time they hyped us up was last year. The only reason we didn't do anything was because of the injuries we had last year. I don't care if we don't have respect by the media personally, because I have no respect for Most of the people in the media.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 07:35 PM)Nizoj Wrote: Yes, the Bengals were mentioned in MMQB both this week and last week:

Last week - something about maybe we shouldn't have counted them as dead and buried so soon

This week - something about Andy Dalton getting booed at the all star softball game

I take the bias with a grain of salt but it oozes out of Peter Kings writing.  I don't know what happened to him here in Cincy but he's grumpy about something.

Are you even serious?  This is what King wrote about the Bengals.  It is A LOT more than Dalton getting booed at the All Star game...

6. The Bengals are Old Man River. Since Andy Dalton was drafted in the second round in 2011, he has started every one of Cincinnati’s 70 games. The Bengals have won nine, 10, 11 and 10 games in his four regular seasons. For the first time in franchise history they’ve made the playoffs four straight years. And as you know if you follow football even slightly, it’s not enough. Dalton and the Bengals are 0-4 in those playoff games, and the local populace is getting quite restless. Reportedly, Dalton was booed by some fans during this year’s baseball All-Star Game festivities in Cincinnati.
So what are we to make of the Bengals’ 2-0 start, and Dalton’s terrific performance so far? He has completed 68.3% of his throws in wins over Oakland and San Diego, with five touchdowns and no interceptions. The difference this year could be a tight end the offense trusts instead of the inconsistent Jermaine Gresham. Tyler Eifert leads the team with 13 catches on 17 targets, 153 yards and three touchdowns—more, in each count, than star wideout A.J. Green. That’s because offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has been eager to feature a strong receiving tight end, and now he has one. With Green, Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu, and a very good receiving back in Gio Bernard, Dalton has five legitimate threats. If they stay upright, Dalton might finally break his January schneid this year.
“We understand that we have a lot of good players on the offensive side of the ball,” said Eifert, the 2013 first-round pick out of Notre Dame. “But you never know who is going to break out or have a good game. It’s good to have a lot of good players to give the defenses a lot of things to worry about.”
While it’s true the Bengals have to get the playoff monkey off their backs, what they’ve done in the first two games shows it’s not something that beats them down. The next three weeks—at Baltimore, then Kansas City and Seattle at home, all defenses that can pressure the quarterback well—will give a good indication whether Dalton has enough weapons and can rise to the pressure he has to be feeling.

From his "Ten Things I Think I Think "
e. The great catch by A.J. Green, and very good throw by Andy Dalton, on the Bengals’ touchdown two minutes into the game against San Diego. Green’s such a great fingertip catcher.

In the "Fine Fifteen" today, he has them ranked #6 and has a video posted where he says they will "be a factor way into the playoffs".

I get that some of the fans like to have this "woe is me, no one has any respect at all for the Bengals" attitude, but it is just not true.  Was it true in the past?  Yes, it definitely was, but it was also deserved.

And for everyone talking about how much press the Cowboys have gotten in the last 48 hours, keep in mind they lost Romo and found out Dez will miss probably 10-12 weeks.  It is big news in the NFL... let's how the Bengals don't get this same type of press coverage any time soon...
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:09 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: And why would I be "butthurt"?  The team's success has made it fairly easy to forget about him.  That said, I see no reasons to make excuses for or to cheer for a guy who quit on my team.  

It doesn't sound like you've forgotten about him, and if you haven't noticed he and Dalton are both being slurped by the experts and they both are leading teams in the top 4 of the NFL.  Again, as long as "your team" is Mike Brown and/or Marvin Lewis you aren't going to be able to revel in the awesomeness of Boomer Esiason, Chad Johnson, Corey Dillion, Jonathan Josephs and so on and so on. It's a moot point because Carson wouldn't still be here, anyways. He would have played out his contract and left and who knows who we'd have at QB now.

Again, I'm not telling you to like him so let's agree to disagree.  I suppose you can be more severe with things and say Carson quit, some of us can relate and understand and/or forgive and forget and we can still all give a hoot about the Bengals, regardless.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It doesn't sound like you've forgotten about him, and if you haven't noticed he and Dalton are both being slurped by the experts and they both are leading teams in the top 4 of the NFL.  Again, as long as "your team" is Mike Brown and/or Marvin Lewis you aren't going to be able to revel in the awesomeness of Boomer Esiason, Chad Johnson, Corey Dillion, Jonathan Josephs and so on and so on.  It's a moot point because Carson wouldn't still be here, anyways.  He would have played out his contract and left and who knows who we'd have at QB now.

Again, I'm not telling you to like him so let's agree to disagree.  I suppose you can be more severe with things and say Carson quit, some of us can relate and understand and/or forgive and forget and we can still all give a hoot about the Bengals, regardless.

Yeah.  Feel free to root him on.  Really hope AZ wins the Super Bowl.  It would be so awesome! 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:32 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: The only people who would defend him are people who feel the same way about Marvin and the team that he felt.   

You know what, I might actually agree with this.  When I look at the Bengals, like my favorite baseball team, the Cubs, I see an organization I willingly support and love as I would a flawed family member.  Carson is sort of like your crazy cousin's ex-wife; you love your cousin but he's a bit of a pain to be around and you wish it worked out but you can't fault her for stepping away.

I like the Bengals, but I can certainly understand why players might have an issue with the franchise.

Also, Carson was being extremely diplomatic when he blamed the departure on himself and said he was "selfish." Marvin Lewis did Carson wrong and backed down from their agreed upon position in order to save his own job and skin, thus throwing Carson under the bus. I like the Bengals, I have nothing against Marvin nor Carson, but I can certainly understand why they don't like each other. As long as Marvin Lewis is the Bengals coach (which looks like forever) I'll pull for him and defend him, but he isn't the obvious "good guy" in this scenario. Sorry. Both of them could have just said "Who cares, I'm getting rich, keep the status quo" but only Marvin went that route.

Other teams wanted Carson as a starting QB. Marvin as another team's HC? That in 2010 was a much bigger stretch. I don't blame either of them for doing what they did. It's business, it's their lives, and they couldn't work together again and be effective. Good for all.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 01:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You know what, I might actually agree with this.  When I look at the Bengals, like my favorite baseball team, the Cubs, I see an organization I willingly support and love as I would a flawed family member.  Carson is sort of like your crazy cousin's ex-wife; you love your cousin but he's a bit of a pain to be around and you wish it worked out but you can't fault her for stepping away.

I like the Bengals, but I can certainly understand why players might have an issue with the franchise.

Especially after they pay you a bunch of money and set you up with a team that's made the playoff 4 years in a row.  Who wouldn't want to get out of such a toxic environment?  
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 01:21 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Especially after they pay you a bunch of money and set you up with a team that's made the playoff 4 years in a row.  Who wouldn't want to get out of such a toxic environment?  

The only time Carson was in a worse situation than the Bengals was in 2012 with the Raiders.  The 2011 Raiders had as much of a shot as the 2011 Bengals, and his seasons with the Cardinals have been successful as long as he has been playing.  Not sure why you think a guy who got paid "a bunch of money" by the Raiders and the Cardinals would stress out over watching Marvin Lewis botch another 4 playoff games while the locals blame the new Bengals QB rather than Carson.

As long as you cling to 2012 then I guess Carson should really kick himself for not playing for a HC and owner he can't stand for his entire career, yes.
Reply/Quote