Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not everyone is down on Zampese
I'm not either, but as noted the run game has to get fixed.

It's from the blearcherreport so take it for what it's worth. Good read, and article well done.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2631037-next-big-thing-ken-zampeses-deep-roots-fresh-ideas-and-family-values
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I really don't know why anyone at this point would be "down" on Zampese considering the first two games he has been a coordinator has been on the road, one of which being played in terrible weather while at the same time trying to alleviate the obvious struggles of the O-line in-game. Give the guy time.

Nice article btw.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 03:56 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yeah, I really don't know why anyone at this point would be "down" on Zampese 

A lot of people have hated him for years for no real reason.

All he has done since coming to the Bengals is turn Kitna into the NFL Comeback Player of the Year and Palmer and Dalton into multi time Pro Bowl QBs.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 03:56 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yeah, I really don't know why anyone at this point would be "down" on Zampese considering the first two games he has been a coordinator has been on the road, one of which being played in terrible weather while at the same time trying to alleviate the obvious struggles of the O-line in-game.  Give the guy time.

Nice article btw.

(09-21-2016, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people have hated him for years for no real reason.

All he has done since coming to the Bengals is turn Kitna into the NFL Comeback Player of the Year and Palmer and Dalton into multi time Pro Bowl QBs.

Hhmmmmmmmmmm.... Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people have hated him for years for no real reason.

Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think anyone is down on Zampese as the QB coach, I think they are skeptical of him as a legit and not lazy OC hire.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think anyone is down on Zampese as the QB coach, I think they are skeptical of him as a legit and not lazy OC hire.

Interview didn't require airfare and boarding.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think anyone is down on Zampese as the QB coach, I think they are skeptical of him as a legit and not lazy OC hire.

QB coach who was promoted to OC after logging 13 seasons with the team who also tutored Carson and Andy, also adds valuable continuity with Dalton, Green and the rest of the offensive staff in the wake of Hue.  Really not sure how that would be construed as a lazy hire or not a "legit" coordinator.  Did he have prior OC experince?  No, but in my opinion he was as ready for such a promotion as any position coach in the league.  

I'd love to be putting up 40 points a game as much as the next guy, and I more than understand the skepticism due to his lack of experience as an OC but let's wait until we have at least a decent sample size before we start judging what he has or doesn't have as a play caller.

EDIT: I know you were just playing devil's advocate. Just speaking about those who hold those opinions about Zampese. To each their own though!
Reply/Quote
Yeah people have been complaining during the games, I don't get it. 2weeks in I think he has done a very good job. He has a good track record and has worked under some very good offensive minds throughout his career. Give him time and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him coach this offense to its highest level yet. He hasn't done anything at this point to make me question his abilities as OC. I'm still really excited about him and this offense, I think both will progress very nicely through the season especially once Eifert is back
Reply/Quote
Two games is way too small a sample size to hate on the guy.

We played two tough teams on the road with our offense at far less than 100% health. If we find some semblance of a running game, this team will be trucking.

Unfortunately the schedule gets worse before it gets better with the Broncos and Texans coming up, so the Zampese hate train will probably have plenty of fuel for a few more weeks.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 06:18 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Two games is way too small a sample size to hate on the guy.

We played two tough teams on the road with our offense at far less than 100% health. If we find some semblance of a running game, this team will be trucking.

Unfortunately the schedule gets worse before it gets better with the Broncos and Texans coming up, so the Zampese hate train will probably have plenty of fuel for a few more weeks.

Yeah, this is my position as well.....and I wasn't a big fan of the move, and I've never really considered him that great of a QB coach, since Andy had to go to House to get better, and Carson got better in AZ under Arians at 30something.  All that said, you gotta give the guy more than two weeks against inclement weather, a piss poor oline, and two relatively good teams to really assess what he's capable of.  The jury is still out.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 05:37 PM)JumboTron Wrote: QB coach who was promoted to OC after logging 13 seasons with the team who also tutored Carson and Andy,

Just because an engineer is great at designing engines, does not mean that he is automatically great at driving strategy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 06:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, this is my position as well.....and I wasn't a big fan of the move, and I've never really considered him that great of a QB coach, since Andy had to go to House to get better,

Completely false.

Dalton was improving every year even before he went to House.

(09-21-2016, 06:58 PM)Wyche Wrote:  and Carson got better in AZ under Arians at 30something.

Again completely false.

Carson's raw numbers have gone up just because of rule changes but his production ranked higher as a Bengal than as a Cardinal.  In '05 under Zampese Palmer lead the league in td passes.  He has never done that in Zona.  In '05 under Zampese he finished #2 in passer rating.  He has never ranked that high in Zona.  Under Zampese Palmer finished 4th, 5th, and 5th in passing yards from '05-'07.  In his two health seasons in Zona he has finished 4th and 8th.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Completely false.

Dalton was improving every year even before he went to House.

Again completely false.

Carson's raw numbers have gone up just because of rule changes but his production ranked higher as a Bengal than as a Cardinal.  In '05 under Zampese Palmer lead the league in td passes.  He has never done that in Zona.  In '05 under Zampese he finished #2 in passer rating.  He has never ranked that high in Zona.  Under Zampese Palmer finished 4th, 5th, and 5th in passing yards from '05-'07.  In his two health seasons in Zona he has finished 4th and 8th.

Not completely false at all.....and when Palmer came into the league....he was heralded as the next great thing.....until Zampese drove him into the ground like a yard dart.  The rule changes have helped other guys have comparable numbers to Palmer....not the other way around.  Palmer was always going to sling the ball down the field.....and now the rest of the league is doing it too.  For him to put up those numbers in today's game at 36-7 yrs old with a bum shoulder....another knee....against the Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers of the world is more impressive than what he did at 24 as a natural.

To say that Dalton's footwork....deep ball....pocket presence...and overall fundamentals haven't improved drastically since he went to House is asinine.  Everyone knows it.  Between House and Hue....Andy overcame the shortcomings of an average position coach who would never have gotten a promotion were it not for the "good ol Mike Brown way". If he's so damn good....why did his QB have to seek out a guru to improve his mechanics? Ol Sammy Wyche taught mechanics in San Fran as a QB coach......

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not completely false at all.....and when Palmer came into the league....he was heralded as the next great thing.....until Zampese drove him into the ground like a yard dart.  The rule changes have helped other guys have comparable numbers to Palmer....not the other way around.  Palmer was always going to sling the ball down the field.....and now the rest of the league is doing it too.  For him to put up those numbers in today's game at 36-7 yrs old against the Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers of the world is more impressive than what he did at 24 as a natural.

T say that Dalton's footwork....deep ball....pocket presence...and overall fundamentals haven't improved drastically since he went to House is asinine.  Everyone knows it.  Between House and Hue....Andy overcame the shortcomings of an average position coach who would never have gotten a promotion were it not for the "good ol Mike Brown way". If he's so damn good....why did his QB have to seek out a guru to improve his mechanics? Ol Sammy Wyche taught mechanics in San Fran as a QB coach......

Also, you'd think someone that good would have been offered an OC gig elsewhere in the league AT SOME POINT.  He's gotten a couple of cursory glances, but not many lot across 10+ years.

They got caught with their sears trousers down when Hue left and went with the easiest cheapest option.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:46 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Also, you'd think someone that good would have been offered an OC gig elsewhere in the league AT SOME POINT.  He's gotten a couple of cursory glances, but not many lot across 10+ years.

They got caught with their sears trousers down when Hue left and went with the easiest cheapest option.

They sure did..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 07:46 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Also, you'd think someone that good would have been offered an OC gig elsewhere in the league AT SOME POINT.  He's gotten a couple of cursory glances, but not many lot across 10+ years.

(09-21-2016, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They sure did..

Indeed gentlemen....I also find it funny that no one else tried to lure our HOF QB coach to come and lead their next John Unitas for their team.  I guess like good ol Johann Sebastian over in the o line office....he's too good for the Patriots and Seahwaks of the world.....they would rather remain loyal and go "0-fer" in the Wild Card round.  Rings are for sissies......amirite? Ninja

Reply/Quote
All of that said....he may actually wind up a better OC than QB coach.  Time will tell.

Reply/Quote
The more I think about it the more I am impressed by him.

That was by far the most open receivers I've ever seen us have against pissbutts. Normally every throw is contested. If we had like 3 drops instead of 8 we would've had 400 yards throwing.
Reply/Quote
The team is 1 & 1 folks, and we all know that they got "jobbed" in the mud hole.

I remember reading a similar thread when Paulie G first took over the D as well.

I'm not disagreeing on how it went down. I just know as well as y'all do that this is how the Bengals FO operates. Hue had been here in recent years so that was an easy rehire.

Let's give him til at least week 8 and see what he's got. Things should start to unfold by then one way or another. Hopefully, he and the Bengals will find success.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 08:13 PM)bonesaw Wrote: The more I think about it the more I am impressed by him.  

That was by far the most open receivers I've ever seen us have against pissbutts.  Normally every throw is contested.  If we had like 3 drops instead of 8 we would've had 400 yards throwing.

This is very true.....and you gotta consider that he has to be somewhat hindered by inept play up front so far.  Hell.....Andy had 366 anyway....pretty damn close to 400.  As I said....he may wind up a better coordinator than position coach.  He seems more of an x and o guy than anything else....that should bode well for him.  If he can get any help in the trenches that is......

Reply/Quote